AMD, Nvidia, or Intel for next GPU?

whm1974

I always used Nvidia dGPUs since I built my first Rig. ATi Linux drivers at some serious issues with FOSS OSes at the time., While Nvidia's simply worked. But a long story short AMD with it's current CEO, Radeon GPUs have improved  with Linux and  FOSS. So I'm eyeballing those now. Unless Intel releases their new Arc dGPUs reasonable soon with decent performance. But I replaced the Fans on my Zotac 970 so I have some time to wait. Does anyone have any clue when Intel is suppose to be releasing? I hope it is not another i740...

Sadly I haven't been keeping up with current developments with neither CPUs or GPUs due to wasting money and Covid-19. Well that and some Issues I had to deal with.

It will be months until the first Intel ones arrive, The other 2 will probably release new stuff inbetween too and the market might change entirely, so... hurry up and wait?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

What is your use case? You mention Linux which would obviously be a different set of considerations from Windows gaming.

While we still don't have hard data Arc is shaping up with the top model perhaps around 3070 level for gaming. Pricing is anyone's guess but it can be assumed it will be market competitive. Don't expect a bargain. Their public message remains Q1 this year, so that's still a potential 2 month window. A scavenger hunt with a chance to win one of the cards will have the active part ending soon, and they had said winners will get their cards before it goes on general sale. That may give more indication of timescales as more is known.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

nvidia in other areas like with DLSS, for the green goblin

AMD for more open ended, like to be used with linux. both for gaming, but DLSS might be better at some resolutions in some games and the VRAM differences between both AMD and Nvidia.

Intel could be decent, and with XeSS it could do well for 4K and with support for a lot of other content.

HOWEVER, what intel wants to do with ARC might not be bullet proof and can have a lot of early issues, so that one need to wait for testing and maybe a generation before some things could become smoother. From drivers and working with all the software it wants to support under oneAPI.

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Their public message remains Q1 this year, so that's still a potential 2 month window.

They've removed that now, it's just "coming 2022" so they must be pretty certain they won't make it for Q1...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

They've removed that now, it's just "coming 2022" so they must be pretty certain they won't make it for Q1...

maybe not for desktops, would think the laptops would come around the end of Q1?

Although can't say on how many either.

Edited by Quackers101

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The lack of mention at the CES event at the start of the month was noted, but I haven't seen anything since. Or should be be, I haven't been looking at what wasn't said? I'll do a bit more digging, but any pointers would be welcome.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

15 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

No, Gamers Nexus already debunked this. Unclear why the website was changed, but investor guidance is still Q1 and Steve got confirmation from Intel directly that it was still Q1.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

No, Gamers Nexus already debunked this. Unclear why the website was changed, but investor guidance is still Q1 and Steve got confirmation from Intel directly that it was still Q1.

I'm still not holding my breath, as another Poster said: Still have to be tested by Reviewers. I can expect them to be in short supply anyway. New Products and all.

10 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I'm still not holding my breath, as another Poster said: Still have to be tested by Reviewers. I can expect them to be in short supply anyway. New Products and all.

Of course. I mean some testing has already been done by reviewers. These aren't entirely new cards. They're just new to the consumer market. Indications are that it's going to be a middle of the road gaming solution, not at all competing at the high end with Nvidia or AMD, but decent enough to at least game on. You should always wait for full release reviews, though, especially on an entirely new entry like this.

Availability is anyone's guess, but I personally believe it's actually going to be pretty good. They're not going to be constrained by wafer production like the Nvidia and AMD cards, and it would be the smart move for Intel to absolutely saturate the low to mid end of the market to gain market and mind share, since Nvidia and AMD have mostly abandoned that ground this generation.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

17 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Availability is anyone's guess, but I personally believe it's actually going to be pretty good. They're not going to be constrained by wafer production like the Nvidia and AMD cards, and it would be the smart move for Intel to absolutely saturate the low to mid end of the market to gain market and mind share, since Nvidia and AMD have mostly abandoned that ground this generation.

Arc is made on TSMC 6nm, which as an upgrade of their 7nm process it seems likely they may share some parts. I think it is more a case of how much Intel decide to pay TSMC for capacity and where to use it. AMD may be prioritising higher profit parts.

Still, based on leaked slides, Arc will cover around 3070 at top end, down to around 6400 level, below where nvidia are with current gen. At the right price, with availability, they certainly have a chance to gain share rapidly.

26 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Keep in mind that they don't produce the wafers themselves. So in the end it'll just be another product fighting for TSMC's production capacity, not something independant.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

also stated on jan 12 from intel

Glad you're as excited as we are! The first mobile and desktop systems with Intel Arc graphics will come later this quarter, in Q1. We can't disclose much else at this time so please stay tuned for updates as soon as we can talk more about product availability, specs, and more.

also forgot to say, they also already have shipped some to go into laptops a few weeks ago. Price could be a problem if it's TSMC 6nm, but that is also something to wait and see.

So after reading/watching Stuff about the upcoming Nvidia RTX 3050, this way better then the recently released AMD 6500 XT which is not worth even getting. However if this GPU falls victim to Miners and Scalpers and ends up overpriced, costing more then is actually worth, then expect lots of cussing and cursing from Folks looking to them.

But I will be still using my 970 until Nvidia stop releasing new drivers for it.