Creating the Ultimate Gaming Desk

Brapson

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I really like the idea of integrating some sort of wireless charging capability into the desk. Any other features people can think of?

NFC in the desk connected to computer so your phone can do stuff (right at same place as charger)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Desks is really important for good ergonomics, right now I am sitting at an cheap IKEA desk made out of more or less paper and it is super easy to carry around and my screen, keyboard, mouse and speakers fit nicely on it but it is extremely wobbly and that is horrible because it screams of cheapness.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

NFC in the desk connected to computer so your phone can do stuff (right at same place as charger)

Hmmm! Really interesting idea! Thanks dude.

Desks is really important for good ergonomics, right now I am sitting at an cheap IKEA desk made out of more or less paper and it is super easy to carry around and my screen, keyboard, mouse and speakers fit nicely on it but it is extremely wobbly and that is horrible because it screams of cheapness.

Yeah, I have a relatively ok IKEA desk just now, but it's old hence the reason I'm replacing it and its been a little lop sided since I bought it anyway. Yeah your right, I think a good desk has to be affordable but also great quality!

So I've made a new question for the poll. How much would you pay for a good gaming optimised desk?

Yeah, I have a relatively ok IKEA desk just now, but it's old hence the reason I'm replacing it and its been a little lop sided since I bought it anyway. Yeah your right, I think a good desk has to be affordable but also great quality!

So I've made a new question for the poll. How much would you pay for a good gaming optimised desk?

I don't think there is such thing as an gaming optimized desk, the only thing a desk should do is to be solid.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I don't think there is such thing as an gaming optimized desk, the only thing a desk should do is to be solid.

When I say "gaming optimised" I'm saying a desk that is solid, sleek and has features that expand the desks functionality.Such as easy clean mouse surfaces, in built ports, etc. It really should say "expanded functionality" desk.

So then with NFC and wireless charging you would have full cable functionality with no cable.

And built in mouse pad.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

So then with NFC and wireless charging you would have full cable functionality with no cable.

And built in mouse pad.

Yeah your right! I think I mentioned in my OP that I'm searching for a surface that is both easy to clean and perfect for the mouse. Which would essentially make the entire desk one big mouse pad.

I think most devices use Wi-Fi synchronization, NFC is just for triggering the process, right?

I like my desks DIY, just like my gir... nevermind.

The price heavily depends on the features, but I think $200-250 for a great desk is nice.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

When I say "gaming optimised" I'm saying a desk that is solid, sleek and has features that expand the desks functionality.Such as easy clean mouse surfaces, in built ports, etc. It really should say "expanded functionality" desk.

Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up. I think a "gaming optimized" desk should have a wireless charging pad, VESA arms for monitors and the robustness of massive wood(of course painted and cut).

Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up. I think a "gaming optimized" desk should have a wireless charging pad, VESA arms for monitors and the robustness of massive wood(of course painted and cut).

What about "dark wood/brushed aluminum" looks?

Dark wood is really cool but I like the white understated look of the IKEA desk that I own, the only thing about the desk that I am not so impressed about is the build quality 

vika-amon-vika-adils-table__0148731_pe30

Yeah the design I'm working on just now has dark wood for the table and certain parts of the body an U shaped brushed aluminium legs.

Dark wood is really cool but I like the white understated look of the IKEA desk that I own, the only thing about the desk that I am not so impressed about is the build quality 

Oh god dude I had that desk all the way back when I had my first PC! Giving me the chills with the memories of sitting in the cupboard under the stairs playing away on my old CRT monitor and getting headaches from when my eyes got strained!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I really like the idea of integrating some sort of wireless charging capability into the desk. Any other features people can think of?

FINALLY, somebody who's thinking on the same wavelength as me! I'm sick and tired of my desk. It's far too small and I can't do anything on it because my monitor and peripherals take up so much room!

Us PC enthusiasts built our PCs because we enjoy the customisability and the option to have and do whatever we want! So why is this not being seen in desks? IKEA has kind of got it right with the (Galant?) line of desks that are semi-modular, but they don't have any cool features. They're just desks.

I have a few cool ideas for a tech featured desk.

-It should definitely have a wireless charging dock, as well as a 3 port USB hub or something along those lines.

-It should come with a monitor mount built in to provide additional area for peripherals/paper documents/books on the desk.

-It should have a headphone/headset holder within easy reach anywhere on the desk

-It should have an integrated reading light of some sort to allow for night time paper document reading

-The legs should not get in the way of person's chair

-There should be a compartment/slightly raised shelf for storing your PC, so if you are using it on a carpeted floor your PC's PSU and bottom mounted fans don't get starved of airflow.

This is a quick mockup I did in Paint:

post-42902-0-18449400-1397681333_thumb.p

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

FINALLY, somebody who's thinking on the same wavelength as me! I'm sick and tired of my desk. It's far too small and I can't do anything on it because my monitor and peripherals take up so much room!

Us PC enthusiasts built our PCs because we enjoy the customisability and the option to have and do whatever we want! So why is this not being seen in desks? IKEA has kind of got it right with the (Galant?) line of desks that are semi-modular, but they don't have any cool features. They're just desks.

-It should definitely have a wireless charging dock, as well as a 3 port USB hub or something along those lines.

-It should come with a monitor mount built in to provide additional area for peripherals/paper documents/books on the desk.

-It should have a headphone/headset holder within easy reach anywhere on the desk

-It should have an integrated reading light of some sort to allow for night time paper document reading

-There should be a compartment/slightly raised shelf for storing your PC, so if you are using it on a carpeted floor your PC's PSU and bottom mounted fans don't get starved of airflow.

Wow, we really do think on the same wavelength! That mockup is awesome! Unfortunately I don't have enough room for a corner desk and I have to do a straight forward, long and slender desk. However I do plan on having the monitor mount, pc shelf, usb hub, headphone mount, cable management rails and possibly wireless charging. I love the idea of mouthing it to the wall in that way, however the way I currently have it designed there wouldn't be much of a need for my chair to move in that fashion so I may stick with my lovely brushed aluminium U shaped legs. I so love that mockup though!

Wow, we really do think on the same wavelength! That mockup is awesome! Unfortunately I don't have enough room for a corner desk and I have to do a straight forward, long and slender desk. However I do plan on having the monitor mount, pc shelf, usb hub, headphone mount, cable management rails and possibly wireless charging. I love the idea of mouthing it to the wall in that way, however the way I currently have it designed there wouldn't be much of a need for my chair to move in that fashion so I may stick with my lovely brushed aluminium U shaped legs. I so love that mockup though!

Thank you :)

Haha, that sounds awesome, I'm jealous! I don't have room for a bigger desk either, it's sad :( I really want to build my own house one day so I can design it just the way I want. Those desk legs do sound really fancy though, I'm sure it's gonna look great!

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

Thank you :)

Haha, that sounds awesome, I'm jealous! I don't have room for a bigger desk either, it's sad :( I really want to build my own house one day so I can design it just the way I want. Those desk legs do sound really fancy though, I'm sure it's gonna look great!

Thanks I will be sure to post it when I build it for everyone to see. I also dream of building my own house one day! :)

Thanks I will be sure to post it when I build it for everyone to see. I also dream of building my own house one day! :)

Haha, looks like we may be long lost twins or something :P Please do!

I think the hub should be detachable yet flush with the surface

Haha, looks like we may be long lost twins or something :P Please do!

Yep must be! How did you manage to do that sketch in paint by the way? Got a graphics tablet or something?

I think the hub should be detachable yet flush with the surface

Interesting... Agree with it being flush with the surface but what would be the purpose of it being detachable?

Yep must be! How did you manage to do that sketch in paint by the way? Got a graphics tablet or something?

Interesting... Agree with it being flush with the surface but what would be the purpose of it being detachable?

I wish I had a graphics tablet... I mainly used the line tool to do everything. The free hand was done with the pencil tool and my left hand on the mouse (I'm left handed but use the mouse with my right, so I swapped because otherwise I would have been hopeless). I do a lot of art too (traditional, not digital) so that helped me with the perspective, getting the lines to go the right way and doing a bit of shading. 

I wouldn't call it my greatest work but I suppose it's a decent use of Paint! :)

You wouldn't end up with a fried hub cemented into your desk if you accidentally spill something on it. And it would be easier to upgrade, or maybe have different versions (USB-only, USB+audio, USB+Thunderbolt, maybe a card reader...)

I wish I had a graphics tablet... I mainly used the line tool to do everything. The free hand was done with the pencil tool and my left hand on the mouse (I'm left handed but use the mouse with my right, so I swapped because otherwise I would have been hopeless). I do a lot of art too (traditional, not digital) so that helped me with the perspective, getting the lines to go the right way and doing a bit of shading. 

I wouldn't call it my greatest work but I suppose it's a decent use of Paint! :)

Well for MS Paint you certainly done a better job than whatever I could do!

You wouldn't end up with a fried hub cemented into your desk if you accidentally spill something on it. And it would be easier to upgrade, or maybe have different versions (USB-only, USB+audio, USB+Thunderbolt, maybe a card reader...)

Ahhhh I get it now, so it would sort of be like making the desk modular? I had a similar plan to this were at the bottom of the work top there would be an access hatch for swapping old components / repairing wiring. I get what you mean now thanks :)

On another note I'm about to add some SketchUp Images to the OP.

Ahhhh I get it now, so it would sort of be like making the desk modular? I had a similar plan to this were at the bottom of the work top there would be an access hatch for swapping old components / repairing wiring. I get what you mean now thanks :)

On another note I'm about to add some SketchUp Images to the OP.

I'll try to do some sketches myself, hopefully something comes out of that :) 

I'll try to do some sketches myself, hopefully something comes out of that :)

I've only got some basic sketches because I find it really hard to import things like monitors and such. The desk looks really simple right now because I haven't put any of my markings in for where ports are supposed to be and stuff. May post the images up in like an hour. An concepts are appreciated thanks!

You better post pictures when you actually get to doing it, I'd like to see how it turns out

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC