First Build advice

lunar00000000
Go to solution Solved by Jonathan Lee,

Typically, it's better if the bottom pulls air. Hot air flows up so it will help exhaust the heat from your PC.

Budget (including currency): £3000 GBP

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: All latest titles (BF 2042, etc) at max

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Here is the part list I'm thinking of building;

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bG9G3y

Running a 3440x1440p 144hz monitor ultrawide and would like to play at that resolution if possible. Buying this build likely in the next couple weeks. 

I've never built a PC before and so I'm really just hoping there are no red flags or serious concerns with this list. I'd really like to make sure the PC is cooled effectively with these components, and I'm not sure if the cooler I have selected and case will do the job. I'm also unsure which case fans I should go for and how many, as well as their configuration.

Any suggestions? Really just looking for tips/reassurance before building. Thanks

Would recommend a 12900K(F) + Z690. That's better and usually only slightly more expensive.

6900 XT is significantly cheaper and slightly faster. Unless you use raytracing a lot I recommend this

Why 1000w? 850 should be fine, even 750 should be enough.

15 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Doesn't the higher end 30 series tend to spike way above rated power usage? I know this happens when using less than 1000w with a 3090. I seem to recall users pointing out that it happens with 3080 and up

56 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

I actually think with the hardware OP is getting 1000W is reasonable. OP is already spending quite a bit of money on a GPU, get a really good high quality and wattage PSU. Makes it easier to upgrade if AMD/Nvidia decide to crank that power usage in future cards. RTX 3090TI anyone?

1 hour ago, lunar00000000 said:

Any suggestions? Really just looking for tips/reassurance before building. Thanks

Perhaps go to 2TB SSD? Gives you more breathing space to download a bunch of game.

You can also consider 12700k with Z690 DDR4 board.

Don't need to worry about getting platinum PSU, a good quality 1000W gold will be as good and cheaper. Unless you do run your PC for long periods of time the efficiency difference is pretty negligible.

Overall though it looks like a well constructed build, good job!

On 1/21/2022 at 6:17 PM, Jonathan Lee said:

You can also consider 12700k with Z690 DDR4 board.

Thanks for this suggestion. I've went with this and bought all the parts!

On 1/21/2022 at 6:17 PM, Jonathan Lee said:

Don't need to worry about getting platinum PSU, a good quality 1000W gold will be as good and cheaper. Unless you do run your PC for long periods of time the efficiency difference is pretty negligible.

Thanks for this too, I've went with a Gold instead.

Just ordered all of the parts - still unsure about the fan configuration though. I've went with a 3-fan radiator AIO and 6 additional Noctua case fans. I'm not sure if I should have the radiator on top or the front/side. Should the bottom fans be pulling or pushing? 

Typically, it's better if the bottom pulls air. Hot air flows up so it will help exhaust the heat from your PC.