Final sanity check before spending money.(Attempting to future proof my pc.)

CitricRug
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I wouldn't go with an MSI motherboard, but each to their own.

For Z690, MSI is the only one that doesn't really have any major issues and priced their motherboards somewhat reasonably. I personally can't stand their BIOS, but they're the only boards I feel comfortable recommending. 

As for recommendations for the build, The 12700k isn't that much more and the extra clockspeed would be worth it IMO. I would also ditch the NH-U12S and get a Scythe Fuma 2 instead, its a more performant cooler for less money.

This is a continuation of my long process of planning to finally upgrade my computer. Previous threads are:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TXBgTJ

Ive decided to go with a i7-12700F, as I have never been into overclocking and have no need for integrated graphics. Going with the noctua nh-u12s mostly from brand recognition. Assuming it will be fine but let me know if you have a better recommendation. Someone in a previous thread recommended the msi pro z6909-a and looking at the other choices out there this seems to be the best rated. And finally 32gb of ddr4 from g.skill. Its 3200mgh and cl 16 so from what i have heard that should be good enough. Let me know your ideas and if you have things you would change.

-Thank you

I'd get the 12700 if available. You might not think you need an iGPU, but they're invaluable if you have any kind of issue with your GPU.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'd get the 12700 if available. You might not think you need an iGPU, but they're invaluable if you have any kind of issue with your GPU.

If my 3080ti ends up dying for some reason i have a 1070 and a 950 laying around that i can always throw in to troubleshoot. Also was looking for 12700's, have not been able to find any on newegg or amazon.

I would go for the Asus Prime Z690-P over the MSI for the same price, It's personal experience but MSI has never been great with customer service whenever I have tried to RMA or warranty parts. Board itself has rated well, I just trust Asus more if something goes wrong

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

For Z690, MSI is the only one that doesn't really have any major issues and priced their motherboards somewhat reasonably. I personally can't stand their BIOS, but they're the only boards I feel comfortable recommending. 

As for recommendations for the build, The 12700k isn't that much more and the extra clockspeed would be worth it IMO. I would also ditch the NH-U12S and get a Scythe Fuma 2 instead, its a more performant cooler for less money.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I believe that you were the one who had recommended 12th gen to me on my last post. I wasn't looking at the 12700k purely for the reason that i have never overclocked and dont really see myself doing it. As for the cooler i will have to look into it more.

7 minutes ago, CitricRug said:

I believe that you were the one who had recommended 12th gen to me on my last post. I wasn't looking at the 12700k purely for the reason that i have never overclocked and dont really see myself doing it. As for the cooler i will have to look into it more.

Depends on how much extra it costs, but the -K skus do have an advantage this time around since they don't have to worry about turbo time expiring. If it costs $100 extra, stick with the 12700, but if the difference is closer to $20-30 then it's probably worth it to go with the -K sku

15 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Depends on how much extra it costs, but the -K skus do have an advantage this time around since they don't have to worry about turbo time expiring. If it costs $100 extra, stick with the 12700, but if the difference is closer to $20-30 then it's probably worth it to go with the -K sku

12700k is currently 389.99 with an 25 dollars off promo to add on to that, and the 12700f is currently 329.99. So 35 bucks. What im really looking for is that is the msi board my best bet. There are some other boards by gigabyte and asus that i looked at that look about the same but really dont know. 

2 minutes ago, CitricRug said:

12700k is currently 389.99 with an 25 dollars off promo to add on to that, and the 12700f is currently 329.99. So 60 bucks. What im really looking for is that is the msi board my best bet. There are some other boards by gigabyte and asus that i looked at that look about the same but really dont know. 

OK, for that price difference I wouldn't say it's worth it. If it was closer to $30 then go 12700k, but for $60 no. 

As for whether that MSI board is any good, I've personally used it and it's great. It's very well built for the price, and it has every feature you need with none that you don't. The VRM is adequate for even a 12900k given a bit of airflow, and it feels better built than some of the older XOC boards I've used.

As for other brands, avoid Gigabyte because they screwed something up (either in BIOS or in actual hardware) either their memory support, so getting anything past 3200MHz to boot is a challenge. Since Alder Lake really does like fast RAM, you want a board that will run it without fighting you tooth and nail to do it. Asus is pretty OK with their boards, its just that their priced a lot higher than they should be. The Z690 TUF for example has almost the same exact feature set as the Z690-A Pro, yet costs $50 more. Their prime boards are more reasonable, but they've got a worse VRM solution and cost the same price. ASUS does have a marginally better CS department, but neither MSI or ASUS are known for good support, so you might as well go with the better built board so you have less of a chance of having to go through CS. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, for that price difference I wouldn't say it's worth it. If it was closer to $30 then go 12700k, but for $60 no. 

As for whether that MSI board is any good, I've personally used it and it's great. It's very well built for the price, and it has every feature you need with none that you don't. The VRM is adequate for even a 12900k given a bit of airflow, and it feels better built than some of the older XOC boards I've used.

As for other brands, avoid Gigabyte because they screwed something up (either in BIOS or in actual hardware) either their memory support, so getting anything past 3200MHz to boot is a challenge. Since Alder Lake really does like fast RAM, you want a board that will run it without fighting you tooth and nail to do it. Asus is pretty OK with their boards, its just that their priced a lot higher than they should be. The Z690 TUF for example has almost the same exact feature set as the Z690-A Pro, yet costs $50 more. Their prime boards are more reasonable, but they've got a worse VRM solution and cost the same price. ASUS does have a marginally better CS department, but neither MSI or ASUS are known for good support, so you might as well go with the better built board so you have less of a chance of having to go through CS. 

Dont know if you saw i updated my previous quote but the 60 dollars was before the 25 dollar promo was added so the difference is only 35 so i will most likely go with that just for the hell of it. Im going to start buying now and then i will start looking at coolers. Question, does the cooler you recommended come lga 1700 ready, or will i need to buy and adapter like the noctua one.

2 minutes ago, CitricRug said:

Dont know if you saw i updated my previous quote but the 60 dollars was before the 25 dollar promo was added so the difference is only 35 so i will most likely go with that just for the hell of it. Im going to start buying now and then i will start looking at coolers. Question, does the cooler you recommended come lga 1700 ready, or will i need to buy and adapter like the noctua one.

I built a system with that same motherboard, CPU, and the cooler I recommended (Scythe Fuma 2), and I had to buy an LGA 1700 adapter to get it to work. They might have decided to include it since I bought it a little over a month ago, but it was separate then and I'd expect it to be separate now. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I built a system with that same motherboard, CPU, and the cooler I recommended (Scythe Fuma 2), and I had to buy an LGA 1700 adapter to get it to work. They might have decided to include it since I bought it a little over a month ago, but it was separate then and I'd expect it to be separate now. 

Okay ill probably go with that build then, i have to do some digging and see if it will fit inside my current case. Thanks for the help.

8 minutes ago, CitricRug said:

Okay ill probably go with that build then, i have to do some digging and see if it will fit inside my current case. Thanks for the help.

What is your current case, I can probably help you out real quick.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What is your current case, I can probably help you out real quick.

coolermaster masterbox lite 5, i just checked and the specs say that it will fit, everything has been purchased and thank god for no interest installment plans because it was a pretty penny. XD

On 1/19/2022 at 5:23 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

Based on their interactions with people when they have problems, and several personal bad experiences with their RMA department and products in general, I'd never recommend one of their products, regardless of how it performs. There's a reason why GamersNexus rips them.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red