Power outage during file transfer on HHDS

Pc6777
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
4 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

But I'm more worried about the unrelated files on the discs, beacause I know with smr drives the drives rewrite existing data to write new data but I was using only cmr drives so I'm less worried, but still a little paranoid, like I said worst case I have backups but I don't want to have to pull my stuff off optical media unless I have to 

You really don't know unless you have another checksum or backup to compare to.

But HDDs(even smr) are generally good at storing data even if there is a power loss, and only data that is being copied to the drive is at risk. I have had many a system lose power and have no noticable data loss or corruption.

I had some power outages today while transferring files between my HDDs, obviously the files that were being written are

Corrupted/incomplete because they never finished. But what about the files that were being read and the other unrelated files in the drive? Are they most likely ok? The drives in question are some 6 terbyte CMR ironwolf drives being used externally with an adapter through usb connected to my desktop PC, an an internal 8 terbyte CMR WD shuck. So none of the drives are smr which is good I guess. I have backups of everything but I would rather not have to use them and have peice of mind.

Yea any file that is on the disk should be fie in a unexpected power outage. Since you have backups you can compare the file checksum to be sure he file is intact

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea any file that is on the disk should be fie in a unexpected power outage. Since you have backups you can compare the file checksum to be sure he file is intact

I have thousands and thousands of files, it would be to time consuming to do that, and my other backups are on blue rays, so I would only pull a backup up if I find something wrong or corupted on my drive.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

But I'm more worried about the unrelated files on the discs, beacause I know with smr drives the drives rewrite existing data to write new data but I was using only cmr drives so I'm less worried, but still a little paranoid, like I said worst case I have backups but I don't want to have to pull my stuff off optical media unless I have to 

4 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

But HDDs(even smr) are generally good at storing data even if there is a power loss, and only data that is being copied to the drive is at risk. I have had many a system lose power and have no noticable data loss or corruption.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Ok good beacause I replaced all the files I was moving when the power went out beacause I knew they were bad, it was a lot of stuff between all the drives but I remembered what I needed to replace.