Is the 6600XT a decent upgrade from a 2060 Super?

Go to solution Solved by Action_Johnson,

6600XT wouldn't be much of an upgrade, especially since you're on a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard and the 6600XT doesn't have 16 lanes. 6700XT would be a strong upgrade. I can run pretty much everything like butter on my 1440p 180Hz monitor plus freesync seems to be working better than G-Sync did when I had the 1660 Super.

VR works pretty good too in games like DCS and MSFS, if that matters at all. HL Alyx runs maxed out really easily on it. 

Considering to upgrade from my 2060 Super ROG. Mostly running games, anything else is lower priority. Country is Norway.

I tried to flash in a custom vBIOS but some things was weird so I flashed original vBIOS back. Got me some noise maybe from VRM I didn't have before, but also some noise from one of the fans. Sometimes it sounds like it's snoring lol. I've always been kinda dissapointed with the performance of this card and now I got a 165Hz Freesync monitor so I would like a bit more oomph inside the case. Sometimes Windows have had it's Explorer shell gone weird forcing me to press the reset button but I fixed that by turning off power saving on PCIe. Still I suspect it is the graphics card.

With this situation in regards to availability and price of cards, It's gonna cost a pretty penny. I'm not sure if it's a relatively worthwhile upgrade though. 

I can get a XFX Qick 6700 XT for around a 1000€. XFX Radeon RX 6700 XT Speedster QICK 319

Would something like this be a decent upgrade for my rig? Also would it be fine to run in gen 3 x8 or should I first upgrade this cheapo B450 mobo?

Ryzen 5 3600x stock.

32 GB ran at 3000 MT/s CL16 (dont seem to be able to get it stable at rated 3200).

B450-F Gaming with 2x M.2 so PCIe slot for GPU is currently running at gen 3 8x as mentioned.

Corsair RM 650x.

Thanks for reading. 🙂 

7 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Considering to upgrade from my 2060 Super ROG. Mostly running games, anything else is lower priority. Country is Norway.

I tried to flash in a custom vBIOS but some things was weird so I flashed original vBIOS back. Got me some noise maybe from VRM I didn't have before, but also some noise from one of the fans. Sometimes it sounds like it's snoring lol. I've always been kinda dissapointed with the performance of this card and now I got a 165Hz Freesync monitor so I would like a bit more oomph inside the case. Sometimes Windows have had it's Explorer shell gone weird forcing me to press the reset button but I fixed that by turning off power saving on PCIe. Still I suspect it is the graphics card.

With this situation in regards to availability and price of cards, It's gonna cost a pretty penny. I'm not sure if it's a relatively worthwhile upgrade though. 

I can get a XFX Qick 6700 XT for around a 1000€. XFX Radeon RX 6700 XT Speedster QICK 319

Would something like this be a decent upgrade for my rig? Also would it be fine to run in gen 3 x8 or should I first upgrade this cheapo B450 mobo?

Ryzen 5 3600x stock.

32 GB ran at 3000 MT/s CL16 (dont seem to be able to get it stable at rated 3200).

B450-F Gaming with 2x M.2 so PCIe slot for GPU is currently running at gen 3 8x as mentioned.

Corsair RM 650x.

Thanks for reading. 🙂 

I really don't think an upgrade in the current market is worthwhile if you already have a 2060. An upgrade? Sure, yes. But a worthwhile one, I don't think so. 

6600XT wouldn't be much of an upgrade, especially since you're on a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard and the 6600XT doesn't have 16 lanes. 6700XT would be a strong upgrade. I can run pretty much everything like butter on my 1440p 180Hz monitor plus freesync seems to be working better than G-Sync did when I had the 1660 Super.

VR works pretty good too in games like DCS and MSFS, if that matters at all. HL Alyx runs maxed out really easily on it. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

12 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

Thanks for the insight, 6700 XT too expensive in this market. I'd love to have one but I'm not gonna shell out 1500€ on a video card. I'm playing a bit of DCS and MSFS how did you know? lol

Think I'll just bide my time and see what the future brings.

34 minutes ago, connorkincaid said:

I really don't think an upgrade in the current market is worthwhile if you already have a 2060. An upgrade? Sure, yes. But a worthwhile one, I don't think so. 

Thanks, was my impression as well. Better performance here and there but not worth an arm and a leg. 

10 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Thanks for the insight, 6700 XT too expensive in this market. I'd love to have one but I'm not gonna shell out 1500€ on a video card. I'm playing a bit of DCS and MSFS how did you know? lol

Thanks, was my impression as well. Better performance here and there but not worth an arm and a leg. 

Absolutely. I would wait until 4000 series hits the stores to look at a meaningful upgrade. Shame it has to be like this!

1 hour ago, connorkincaid said:

Absolutely. I would wait until 4000 series hits the stores to look at a meaningful upgrade. Shame it has to be like this!

Indeed. Miss the old days when AMD released the HD 7000's. Back then being a PC gamer was good.

You'd pretty much be buying the same card in terms of performance. A 6600xt and 2060 super are pretty much identical in performance. 1000€ for a 6700xt is just an extreme ripoff it's about 20% better than a 2060 super so you are essentially paying 1000€ for 20% better performance which in my eyes is just terrible value.

I'd really recommend you keep what you have and go on with it till something changes for these prices.

30 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You'd pretty much be buying the same card in terms of performance. A 6600xt and 2060 super are pretty much identical in performance. 1000€ for a 6700xt is just an extreme ripoff it's about 20% better than a 2060 super so you are essentially paying 1000€ for 20% better performance which in my eyes is just terrible value.

I'd really recommend you keep what you have and go on with it till something changes for these prices.

Yeah I get it but I was also thinking I could flip the Super if it gave a bit of better performance.

11 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Yeah I get it but I was also thinking I could flip the Super if it gave a bit of better performance.

You can flip it for around 500 but that would still mean you are paying 500€ for 20% better performance. Something nobody has ever recommended someone do except for very specific usecases.

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

You can flip it for around 500 but that would still mean you are paying 500€ for 20% better performance. Something nobody has ever recommended someone do except for very specific usecases.

Yeah true. Maybe I'll just try that vbios again but Im not sure if it was playing nice with my VRM's lol.

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2022 at 11:55 AM, aDoomGuy said:

question im new lol so your saying about the 6600xt about only having 3.0 i have a prebuilt with a ryzen 5 5600G and a And 5500 4Gb 

33 minutes ago, ApexMaster87 said:

question im new lol so your saying about the 6600xt about only having 3.0 i have a prebuilt with a ryzen 5 5600G and a And 5500 4Gb 

don’t necropost. (try not to revive old threads like this) also the 6600xt has pcie 4. it has 8 lanes, not 16. the 5600g however only has pcie 3.0.