About i5-12600KF.

sylvik

I'm planning to buy a i5-12600KF (it costs around 1300 and half Romanian LEI) which I will very likely pair it soon or a little later with an MSI Z690 Edge DDR4 or Z690 Carbon DDR5 (still haven't decided yet). My question are: How perform the i5 12600KF with its E-Cores and P-Cores? AVX-512 on or off and why? Its power comsumption both idle and load? Does it run hot than it should? Both power limits recomended value? Will Arctic i35 A-RGB be enough with that cpu with stock settings? Pro & Cons? Thanks in advance!

Edited by sylvik

just keep in mind that ddr4 and 5 are not backwards compatible and also don't forget to look at some ddr5 benchmarks as it might not preform as well as you hope

4 minutes ago, StalePie42 said:

just keep in mind that ddr4 and 5 are not backwards compatible and also don't forget to look at some ddr5 benchmarks as it might not preform as well as you hope

Would be better go with Z690 Edge DDR4 WiFi and that i5-12600KF? Good news is that I will able to use my DDR4 3200MHz kit from my last build I have.

1 minute ago, sylvik said:

Would be better go with Z690 Edge DDR4 WiFi and that i5-12600KF? Good news is that I will able to use my DDR4 3200MHz kit from my last build I have.

i don't want to give any false information but check ddr5 prices in your area it can be ludicrously hard to come by these days but to be honest i don't think your losing much going for ddr4 i don't think the performance is that much worse this early on and you have some more money to spend in other areas.

2 minutes ago, StalePie42 said:

i don't want to give any false information but check ddr5 prices in your area it can be ludicrously hard to come by these days but to be honest i don't think your losing much going for ddr4 i don't think the performance is that much worse this early on and you have some more money to spend in other areas.

A DDR5 16GB 4800MHz kit (single stick) here in my country is around 950 Romanian LEI (Kingston Fury Beast as example). That would be around $219. 

14 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

What you should compare is 12700KF with ddr4 vs 12600KF with ddr5. The gap in price is about that much.

The thing is that 12700KF costs more than the 12600KF here where I live and its a bit over my budget. Too over. I do think 12600KF would be enough for my needs. I mean sure 12700KF sounds awesome and can do gaming and multitasking without any problem but it's over my limits. Plus I don't do intensive ultra multitasking thing or creator stuff. 

Edited by sylvik

Just now, sylvik said:

The thing is that 12700KF costs more than the 12600KF here where I live and its a bit over my budget. Too over. I do think 12600KF would be enough for my needs. I mean sure 12700KF sounds awesome and can do gaming and multitasking without any problem but it's over my limits. I also have to mention that I don't do ultra multitasking thing.

If 12700KF costs too much, ddr5 and a board that supports ddr5 cost too much too. So you are left with 12600KF with ddr4.

1 minute ago, Jeppes said:

If 12700KF costs too much, ddr5 and a board that supports ddr5 cost too much too. So you are left with 12600KF with ddr4.

That is totally correct. And if I am not wrong, DDR4 still perform better and I think it will continue until DDR5 will get way better and make DDR4 obselete but it's not that time yet.