Random freezes on new PC

Or2030

Hi, yesterday I built my new PC with this spec

CPU: Intel i7 12700k

Motherboard: Asus z690 prime-a 

RAM: DDR5 G-skill 6000Mhz

and 850W PSU 

My PC started to freeze randomly since I first enabled XMP on bios version 0430 (if i remember correctly)

I updated my bios to 0811 and 0803, on both the PC froze with XMP enabled/disabled

it happened when I tried to watch youtube, open cinebench the first time (after this freeze i was able to run full cinebench test),

3 times when I ran performance test to my ssd, troubleshooting the ssd passed successfully and since than performance test passed too without freezing.

I also tried with 2 ram sticks and 1 ram stick on all the slots, froze on every one of them at some point.

It mostly happened when I ran something for the first time.

CPU temperature is 30-40 on idle and 83 max on cinebench test.

edit: memtest passed successfully too with both ram sticks

Any ideas how could I find the root cause?

Could it be the ssd? next thing I want to try is disconnect this ssd and try another one.

Thanks!

Hey there. Was experiencing same issue. Managed to fix it by removing Riser Cable.

Hope it helps

2 hours ago, B1o said:

Hey there. Was experiencing same issue. Managed to fix it by removing Riser Cable.

Hope it helps

interesting, I do have riser cable, thanks will give it a try

did you ever found a trigger for the freezes? i would like to test it since I was able to go through ~12 hours without a freeze with the riser cable

Just now, Flaxe said:

Could you export your event viewer into here?

Right now I dont have any event viewer log with a freeze since I tried some things already such as switching ssd, formatting and so on.

But I did saw this constant warnings on event viewer when I had freezes

"event id 17 - A corrected hardware error has occurred Component: PCI Express Root Port"

After removing the GPU, switch SSD and switching to 1 stick of ram i had BSOD but the minidump showed ntkrnlmp was the issue which I understand doesn't point directly at hardware problem

I personally had freezing problems on my pc because my system drive would go to 100% usage for exactly 1 minute every time. What I did was change my SSD type from native ide, to ACHI. You can look at my previous post here: 

I didnt saw the disk usage goes to 100% so im not sure that was the issue

The fact that so many issues can cause the same symptom is so annoying

4 hours ago, Or2030 said:

interesting, I do have riser cable, thanks will give it a try

did you ever found a trigger for the freezes? i would like to test it since I was able to go through ~12 hours without a freeze with the riser cable

noticed that gpu went 100% load shortly before hard freeze,  even on freshly installed win11 ( no drivers, no updates ).  Was using older asus rog riser cable pcie3. 

7 hours ago, Or2030 said:

Right now I dont have any event viewer log with a freeze since I tried some things already such as switching ssd, formatting and so on.

"event id 17 - A corrected hardware error has occurred Component: PCI Express Root Port"

Corrected hardware event on PCI-E Root Port. This definitely points to riser/ graphics card/ maybe MB drive port.

Have you tried using a different PCIE port for your GPU? What about the same for your drive?

• 2 weeks later...

hi same for me random freeze with fresh install win 11 up to date and bios V1003 (2022/01/29) in asus.com

config:
ASUS Prime Z690-A / I7 12700KF / Gigabyte rtx 3080 OC 10gb rev 1.0 / Corsair Vengeance 32 gb 5200 (but i have not activate XMP) play in 4800mhz

On 1/19/2022 at 10:48 AM, Or2030 said:

After removing the GPU, switch SSD and switching to 1 stick of ram i had BSOD but the minidump showed ntkrnlmp was the issue which I understand doesn't point directly at hardware problem

Correctable hardware error, there is your issue. 
So this happened even with the riser removed?

Did you try your SSD in another port?
If so then I am thinking your GPU or MB slot has issues. Try a different PCIe slot and see if it still happens