Stolen ITEMS Steam/Dota 2

MetzMa007

Hello All at LTT

My Dota 2 account has been compromised and steam will not give me any indication of how, or do anything about it. I believe this would make a good video on how to help people through this situation and just to get to the bottom of what happened to my account.

I have been paying Dota 2 for over a decade started playing back in 2011 and have accumulated a lot of items. I made over $4500 in purchases over that period of time. On the night of January 12 2022 and through to the 13th 2022 over 100 transactions were made to transfer my items to other people, and 1 large transactions of over 500 items. Steam is of absolute no help the just tell me sorry and that they cannot return my items because it will make the other items worth less value. After I tried to go through steam help and get an answer of what happened how did he get in, how was he able to transfer 500 items at once, Did he hack my computer, what computer the transactions came from they close the service ticket and cannot reply. I have made in my DOTA 2 career maybe 10 trades TOTAL, how was this possible how did some one trade items that cannot be traded like my arcana's and some legendary items. How did he get into my account as i had 2 factor authentication turned on through the steam app. so i should have been notified if anyone had hacked my account and tried to log in. I don't know what to do, II don't know who to contact at steam or even how to contact them and i am being told that this is my fault and deal with it. i just went through ever purchase i made on dota 2 and it comes out to $4440.48 cents CDN (some were In USD but didn't exchange them). Its like they don't care. they had the time to go to this guys account and hopefully recover some of my 500 items he stole in one transaction, i contacted them the morning of jan13th 2022 when i noticed everything was gone, and received this reply that day. ow was it even possible to transfer over 500 items in 1 go on one transaction, I have added the pictures of the single transaction and what was taken. Is this is what i have been buying on market place for the last 10 years stolen items from people. This is completely unfair to me and the people buying all the items that were just stolen, do they not have a tracking system. I get if someone paid for the item and it was stolen i might not be able to get it back. But they should be able to revert the transaction and get some off them back. The amount off money i have spent and what was stolen is just shy of federal crime in Canada. just from googling i have seen that over 77,000 a month on steam get hacked (article from 2015). But i had 2 factor authentication with steam guard and this still happened, what is steam doing about this. I am a dota player i really love the game but having your whole career of items you have made over 11 just up and vanish really makes me want to put the mouse and keyboard down and call it quits. 

Quotes From Steam

I’m sorry to hear that your items were removed without your permission. Unfortunately, Steam Support does not restore scammed, lost, or stolen items for any reason.

Since Steam Support does not remove items from accounts, we'd have to duplicate an item to restore it. Duplication lowers the value of all items by reducing their scarcity and inflating the economy, which affects everyone involved in trading and the Market. To maintain the value of everyone’s inventory, we do not restore items. For more information, please see the Steam Item Restoration Policy.

To make sure that a scammer is reported, please report them through the Steam Community. Reporting a scammer through the Steam Community is the best way to prevent them from committing future scams.

To learn how to avoid scams or hijackings, please see our Trade Scam article. 

Running on coffee
Jonathan

My thoughts

I don't want all of my items i just want some one at steam to least steam to try to do something for me. $4500 dollars spent on game is a lot of money. Like give me back my arcana's i have purchased for $45 dollars each, or even some of the items I purchased last month. To me this is completely unfair on how to treat customers that have been with you playing this game for 11 years, and have spent the money i have on this game. i hope you guys at LTT get this and can at least make a video to help out other people who are having this problem. or are able to even help me out. LTT Please help.

Sources

For steam hacked numbers

https://www.businessinsider.com/steam-trading-theft-hijacking-2015-12 

Screenshot 2022-01-15 054745.png

Screenshot 2022-01-15 054812.png

Screenshot 2022-01-15 054831.png

Screenshot 2022-01-15 054854.png

Screenshot 2022-01-15 054915.png

Screenshot 2022-01-15 054935.png

This sounds like your account was not secure. I am not sure what Valve was supposed to here.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It was secure, I had 2 factor Authentication how else am I supposed to secure it. And my computer are behind a a full fledge Ubiquiti network with a dream machine and all packet inspecting turned on. I should have received a message to authenticate a new computer and never did.

Have you checked your steam login history?

Have you checked your password and email for data leaks?

Have you scanned your PC for malware?

Does anyone else have physical access to your hardware (Phone, PC, anything)?

Running a "full fledge Ubiquiti network with a dream machine and all packet inspection turned on" doesnt make your network and your accounts secure.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Yes I understand, that's the problem. There are over 20 logins from Russia from differnt computers. Over the 2 days, My email has not been compromised, no emails came through for any login attempts or through steam guard app. I use Microsoft exchange through Microsoft also with 2 factor authentication. So only way they could get in is to have my actual password. But they only took stuff from dota. Nothing else. No one has any phisical access to any of my computers, laptop and desktop but my self. Laptop was not even on at the time. And no email has not been pwnd. And I pay for malwarbytes so its always running and has found nothing. Ran a scan right after this happend to make sure.

3 hours ago, MetzMa007 said:

I made over $4500 in purchases

Damn that's a lot of money for basically worthless items. Kinda glad I don't take part in things like this.

No doubt you were targeted because of these "valuable" items. That account is 100% a burner account and those items are not on that account anymore but have probably gone through multiple other accounts at this point, so no matter what I don't think valve can do anything to get your items back.

I do have a feeling that you are not telling the whole story. I mean if I log into steam even on the PC I usually log into I get a notification on my phone to confirm my login and I get an email stating that I just logged in from device XYZ. Additionally to that if someone logs in from an previously unknown device you cannot trade or things like that from that device for 7 days. If you use the 2 factor identification you have to approve all transactions via phone.

From Steam https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/451E-96B3-D194-50FC:

Newly Authorized Device

If you are logging onto Steam from a device that has not been previously authorized by Steam Guard (log in confirmed via email), you will not be able to trade or use the Community Market from this device for 7 days. Any other devices that have already been authorized for at least 7 days will still be able to trade and use the Community Market.

Actions such as clearing your web browser cookies, using a new web browser, reinstalling Steam, and reformatting your computer will make that device look new to Steam and will trigger this restriction.

Exceptions: If you have had a Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator on your account for at least 7 days, there will be no trading or Market restrictions for using new devices/computers. This is because you'll confirm trades and Market listings from the mobile app.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

What kind of "good video telling people how to act" would consist? Linus reading out loud Steam policy on item trades and lost items? That policy has been in place for years at this point, and was placed because people were falling into easy scams. For same reason Valve doesn't do anything if you log into Steam account from another site and get hacked because of that. Its your own fault at that point, not theirs.

You saying email has not been compromised because "emails came through" is not really waterproof. Hacker doesn't need to change password. If they gain access, best way to go about is to make it seem like nothings wrong. They could be getting 2FA notes and delete them permanently before you even see it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, Montana16 said:

Damn that's a lot of money for basically worthless items. Kinda glad I don't take part in things like this.

No doubt you were targeted because of these "valuable" items. That account is 100% a burner account and those items are not on that account anymore but have probably gone through multiple other accounts at this point, so no matter what I don't think valve can do anything to get your items back.

I do have a feeling that you are not telling the whole story. I mean if I log into steam even on the PC I usually log into I get a notification on my phone to confirm my login and I get an email stating that I just logged in from device XYZ. Additionally to that if someone logs in from an previously unknown device you cannot trade or things like that from that device for 7 days. If you use the 2 factor identification you have to approve all transactions via phone.

From Steam https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/451E-96B3-D194-50FC:

Ya it might be for worthless items but it was all over like 10 years of playing. Its really the only game I play online. But that literally is the whole story that's why something doesn't make any sense. I have 2 factor on my email account, I am useing the steam guard app. I set it up 6 months ago, and I did not receive any notifications that a new log in has occurred, or that I was making a trade. Who ever logged in traded it all to over 100 differnt trades, and 1 very large one with over 500 items in the single trade. It happend all in 2 days I was even able to trade stuff that should not be tradable. Which doesn't make any sense. I get it that valve won't give it back. But I want to know how he did it, how he logged in. How he spoofed the code to active his computer, anything so I can avoid this in the future. And if he did spoof their code that's not on me that's on valve. 

11 hours ago, MetzMa007 said:

Ya it might be for worthless items but it was all over like 10 years of playing. Its really the only game I play online. But that literally is the whole story that's why something doesn't make any sense. I have 2 factor on my email account, I am useing the steam guard app. I set it up 6 months ago, and I did not receive any notifications that a new log in has occurred, or that I was making a trade. Who ever logged in traded it all to over 100 differnt trades, and 1 very large one with over 500 items in the single trade. It happend all in 2 days I was even able to trade stuff that should not be tradable. Which doesn't make any sense. I get it that valve won't give it back. But I want to know how he did it, how he logged in. How he spoofed the code to active his computer, anything so I can avoid this in the future. And if he did spoof their code that's not on me that's on valve. 

All I'm gonna say is that this is wrong forum/community to launch investigation on Valve's security. You would need more proof that its Valve's fault first, like 10s of users experiencing something similar. LTT's content, resources nor expertise does not involve dwelving into software security issues. Their content is mostly on hardware side and strictly on related content. You will need someone who is professional on cybersecurity. Off the top of my head, Barnacules comes to mind, so sending him email about this might get you going on something.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I GOT HACKED BY THE SAME EFFING PERSON!! on the 20th  of this month i just found out yesterday when i logged in to play and picked sniper with the space suit which cost me $168 and i noticed my set wasnt there so i quit the game looked over my inventory and lost all my good items i am devastated sorry for your 10+ years of gaming just like you I ALSO PLAYED over 10 years ive been playing dota since warcraft 3 made it...  and dota 2 i picked up to continue my years... i got hacked and lost all my good items your list is long with lost items mine is too so i feel your pain STEAM and VALVE are easily cleaning their hands AS IF NOTHING happened i had a set of bloodseeker weapons that now cost over $600 i paid $15 for them during the time it came out... and now it was stolen i am so disappointed ill await steams reply on this matter

• 5 weeks later...

Same situation. Someone stole my items Feb 19th. My steam mobile Authenticator is on and I didn't get any notification at all before trading and after. I attached the hacker's account. The steam support is useless atm. Almost 13k playtime and it's my first time to encounter this. 

Screenshot_20220222-065508_Steam.jpg

Screenshot_20220222-065556_Steam.jpg

• 2 years later...

Exact thing happened to me but with rust items, I've had the authenticator on since it came out, and it always has me register new devices. Never got a confirmation of Russian login, besides an email that warned me of the login. And according to steam, new devices shouldn't be able to trade for several, days, but this all happened while I was in the shower or I would have locked the account immediately. The login email and trades happened within minutes of each other. Trades should be delayed from a new device!

scam picture.PNG

scam.PNG