PSU shorts with only 24 pin connected - need help

Strat

Good evening.

I am super frustraded... I've just spent 20++ hours rebuilding my hard line waterloop and fitting a new RTX 3080.

It's been up and running for about 1 week. I prepared for a friday night of gaming but came to find my computer shut down. When trying to turn it on, it wouldn't. Of course, I immedietely checked for a water leak, but nothing...

When pressing the power button the PSU briefly spins up before I hear the relay clicking and power shuts off immediately. 

I want to check everything I can before draining the loop. I have done the following so far:

• Unplugged everycable from mobo, GPU and PSU. The only cable left is the 24 pin to mobo. Still same problem.
  • Removed PSU and tested in a different system. Works fine.
  • Tried a known working PSU in faulty system. Same problem.

So far it seems that the problem is either CPU, GPU, RAM or mobo. To narrow it down I have to drain the loop. Everything is watercooled; full cover mobo waterblock, GPU waterblock and 2x watercooled quad channel ram...

Should I try anything else before I actually drain the loop?

It's such a large task and I'm so exhausted from building the system initially that I would like to try everything before I drain the loop 😞

Many thanks, and best regards from a sad gamer-dad who lost an increasingly rare friday night of gaming.

The specs of the system?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The specs of the system?

Asus X99-A

Intel 5920k

G.Skill 8x4gb DDR3000 ram

RTX 3080

Corsair HX1000i

3 minutes ago, Strat said:

Asus X99-A

The reason I ask is you mention 24pin power, but didn't say anything about the 8pin connection, just wanted to see if you had that plugged in as well.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

The reason I ask is you mention 24pin power, but didn't say anything about the 8pin connection, just wanted to see if you had that plugged in as well.

I have tried both with and without the 8 pin. Same result. Forgot to mention that.

With that said, I think the mobo should power on even with the 8-pin unplugged? At least my other mobo does that. Doesn't post though...

1 minute ago, Strat said:

I have tried both with and without the 8 pin. Same result. Forgot to mention that.

With that said, I think the mobo should power on even with the 8-pin unplugged? At least my other mobo does that. Doesn't post though...

Some do, some don't...I'd leave both plugs plugged in.

I assume you've tried a BIOS reset by pulling the battery?

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Some do, some don't...I'd leave both plugs plugged in.

I assume you've tried a BIOS reset by pulling the battery?

Yes, I pulled the battery. No effect.

I searched for my motherboard in my gmail. Turns out I actually RMA'd 2 boards in a row when building the computer. Both where dead on arrival with similar faults as what I am experiencing now. I had completely forgotten, but that might be an important clue. Perhaps the board has a common issue. It's been running fine for 6 years, so I'm of course out of warranty.

1 minute ago, Strat said:

Yes, I pulled the battery. No effect.

I searched for my motherboard in my gmail. Turns out I actually RMA'd 2 boards in a row when building the computer. Both where dead on arrival with similar faults as what I am experiencing now. I had completely forgotten, but that might be an important clue. Perhaps the board has a common issue. It's been running fine for 6 years, so I'm of course out of warranty.

Yeah, probably time for a new board then

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah, probably time for a new board then

Yes, and thank you. I will drain the loop and troubleshoot the remaining components. Will update after.