Arctic Silver 5 is not conductive.

Ghost

I didn't know where to put this thread but there is a general theory going around that AS5 is conductive and is therefore dangerous to use as a CPU/GPU thermal paste.

This is false.

Please look at what Arctic Silver say about this.

Not Electrically Conductive:

Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

Source: http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

If you see anyone saying AS5 is conductive let them know they are wrong to stop them spreading the rumor.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

AS5 still can short circuit elements on pcb and technically conduct electric energy. So be extra careful when using AS5!

AS5 still can short circuit elements on pcb and technically conduct electric energy. So be extra careful when using AS5!

The point of this thread is that it is NOT conductive.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

i have always used AS 5 not matter what other people said for me i doesn't matter if its conductive or not i get good performance out of it and that's all that matters for me.

and ofc you should not be putting in your CPU socket or anywhere else where it could cause damage as all other Thermal Paste's

The point of this thread is that it is NOT conductive.

I know, but it still can damage your system and I guess most of people saying that AS5 is conductive means its capacitive and as all capacitors it can be shortened out. So its best treated as conductive material to avoid damage.

AS5 is a great product but I wont suggest it to beginners because it can do some damage if you are not careful. I use AC MX-4 and I have no problems with it.

I know, but it still can damage your system and I guess most of people saying that AS5 is conductive means its capacitive and as all capacitors it can be shortened out. So its best treated as conductive material to avoid damage.

AS5 is a great product but I wont suggest it to beginners because it can do some damage if you are not careful. I use AC MX-4 and I have no problems with it.

The point is that its fine for beginners. I don't think putting any type of thermal paste on your PCB is recommended.

The point is that its fine for beginners. I don't think putting any type of thermal paste on your PCB is recommended.

Well, I have gotten messy with MX-2 and it works fine for few years already, I know I didnt get it all clean, but MX-2 is without metal particles so I am not worried about any problems with it.

Still, I cant agree its fine for beginners as it can get messy and damage some components. But I know AS5 and MX-2/4 are both great and are very close, I just chose safer option.

Well, I have gotten messy with MX-2 and it works fine for few years already, I know I didnt get it all clean, but MX-2 is without metal particles so I am not worried about any problems with it.

Still, I cant agree its fine for beginners as it can get messy and damage some components. But I know AS5 and MX-2/4 are both great and are very close, I just chose safer option.

There is no "safer". Stop going in circles.

Hahaha, so many people talking about thermal paste differences and safety, most of the arctic silver line is the same thing but with different viscosity. Ghost, I see your blood pressure rising.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

There is no "safer". Stop going in circles.

I would argue that. I have my opinion from experience I have with electronic components.

Few years ago when I was looking for good thermal compound there was two options AS5 or AC MX-2, I chose MX-2 as its without metal particles so you could say its a safer option. I am not saying its good to cover motherboard with thermal compound, I am saying it would be worse if you spilled AS5.

I would argue that. I have my opinion from experience I have with electronic components.

Few years ago when I was looking for good thermal compound there was two options AS5 or AC MX-2, I chose MX-2 as its without metal particles so you could say its a safer option. I am not saying its good to cover motherboard with thermal compound, I am saying it would be worse if you spilled AS5.

You only have to apply a small amount in the center of the heat source, lets say your CPU which is around 300mm2,

How is it posible to get messy in that space if you only have to apply a tiny bit of thermal compound? Are you using the kentucky method from TekSyndicate?

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i

You only have to apply a small amount in the center of the heat source, lets say your CPU which is around 300mm2,

How is it posible to get messy in that space if you only have to apply a tiny bit of thermal compound? Are you using the kentucky method from TekSyndicate?

I dropped it near southbridge when I changed thermal compound for it. Just a little bit. I just cleaned big stuff, didnt clean it completely as it was MX-2.

BTW, great video from TekSyndicate.

Been using AS5 for  a  while and haven't had a single problem, even if it's conductive you should know to put a very small amount on a CPU/GPU

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

This was a related video.

youtu.be/-hNgFNH7zhQ

Someone go tell this guy AS5 is not conductive ;) . Things like this is the reason why so many people think it is.

Well, AS5 acts as a capacitor with all consequences.

"(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)"

Well, AS5 acts as a capacitor with all consequences.

"(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)"

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=346684

By your theory its dangerous to have air near your cpu.