i need a good upgrade from a amd ryzen 5 3600 6 core budget is around 150 to 200

makkaboy26
Go to solution Solved by Pixelfie,

Not really possible with this budget. The cheapest upgrades cost about 300 (5600X or 12400 + B660) and aren't worth upgrading from a 3600.

What are you using the PC for? If it's gaming you probably are bottlenecked by the GPU and not the CPU, in which case I'd recommend waiting for a 3050 and hope it will be somewhat decently priced.

All I could think of that may be worth it in this budget is better cooling or additional storage, if you need that.

pc build currently 

16 gig ram 

gtx 1660

Samsung SSD 970 Evo

adata su650 

all on a asus prime b450 plus

Not really possible with this budget. The cheapest upgrades cost about 300 (5600X or 12400 + B660) and aren't worth upgrading from a 3600.

What are you using the PC for? If it's gaming you probably are bottlenecked by the GPU and not the CPU, in which case I'd recommend waiting for a 3050 and hope it will be somewhat decently priced.

All I could think of that may be worth it in this budget is better cooling or additional storage, if you need that.

55 minutes ago, makkaboy26 said:

pc build currently 

16 gig ram 

gtx 1660

Samsung SSD 970 Evo

adata su650 

all on a asus prime b450 plus

If you're using the stock cooler, a solid upgrade option could be an aftermarket cpu cooler so you can overclock your chip.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

the 3600 is a decent gaming CPU. not the newest, but upgrading from it to say a 5600 imho isn’t really worth it. the bigger jump would be to an RyZen 7 or 9 series, but then we’re talking about a much larger price jump. 

the 3600 should be able to OC somewhat to eek out a little more performance if you want. But make sure your cooling and motherboard are of decent quality.

your biggest bottleneck IMHO is the GPU. I had been very succesfully gaming at 1440p in AAA titles with a 3600 overclocked. But i’m powering a 2070 super. The CPU was almost never the bottleneck in gaming. A GTX 1660 is basically a budget card at this point and is fairly out of date at that.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.