Upgrade i5 9600k

hello, I need to upgrade my CPU, but I have no clue which CPU to choose, I'm beginning to run octoprint whilst playing games and the CPU gets hit hard since i use it so much, budget is around 500 usd without sales, i'm able to buy a new motherboard if that would be better than another cpu that use the same socket (also need help with pricing my cpu at that point).

1080p @ 144hz playing Forza 5/valorant whilst running discord, google chrome and octoprint

there are quite a few options for your socket, but I wouldn't recommend an i9-9900K if your motherboard doesn't have the power delivery to handle it. What mobo do you have?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, NighhhT said:

The best option would probably be a Ryzen 7 5800X + B550 Tomahawk (or other good B550 motherboard).

aight, what would you say that i should price my cpu at?

Assuming your motherboard can support it without the VRMs having an issue, the 9900K would be a good in-socket upgrade for that. Otherwise, Intel 12th gen is looking pretty good. You could go with the 12600(K)(F) for a new platform. It would be a pretty big upgrade.

Wouldn't it be better in your case to just get a raspberry pi zero for 15$ or a raspberry pi 4 for 50$ to run octoprint on instead of upgrading your current system?

For 485$ or 475$ if you include a mail in rebate you can get a 12600k and a z690 motherboard. Memory can be reused. The only upgrades you have on the current platform you're on are the 9700/K and 9900/K

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

there are quite a few options for your socket, but I wouldn't recommend an i9-9900K if your motherboard doesn't have the power delivery to handle it. What mobo do you have?

asus prime z390-A

The best CPU for your socket is a 9900k, although it's over 3 years old now. An i5 12600k is a good choice, which motherboard you choose depends on whether you want to keep your DDR4 or DDR5

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

Wouldn't it be better in your case to just get a raspberry pi zero for 15$ or a raspberry pi 4 for 50$ to run octoprint on instead of upgrading your current system?

For 485$ or 475$ if you include a mail in rebate you can get a 12600k and a z690 motherboard. Memory can be reused. The only upgrades you have on the current platform you're on are the 9700/K and 9900/K

true, do they have wifi though?

2 minutes ago, Vulkan HeStan said:

The best CPU for your socket is a 9900k, although it's over 3 years old now. An i5 12600k is a good choice, which motherboard you choose depends on whether you want to keep your DDR4 or DDR5

id rather reuse my old ram so DDR4

3 minutes ago, lowonleyasmoth said:

asus prime z390-A

well you would be able to use a 9900K with no issues, getting one used would be ideal if you manage to get a decent price.

Otherwise for new parts, a Ryzen 7 5800X would be a lot better from a price to performance standpoint

Ryzen 7

Core i9

and alder lake processors would also be a good comparison. Such as the 12600K mentioned above.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, lowonleyasmoth said:

true, do they have wifi though?

Yes both the Raspberry Pi Zero 2W and the Raspberry Pi 4 have WiFi.\

Raspberry Pi Zero 2W has 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n wireless

Raspberry Pi 4 has 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

well you would be able to use a 9900K with no issues, getting one used would be ideal if you manage to get a decent price.

Otherwise for new parts, a Ryzen 7 5800X would be a lot better from a price to performance standpoint

Ryzen 7

Core i9

and alder lake processors would also be a good comparison. Such as the 12600K mentioned above.

considering that the core i9 costs so much id rather go with the ryzen, ty for your input

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Yes both the Raspberry Pi Zero 2W and the Raspberry Pi 4 have WiFi.\

Raspberry Pi Zero 2W has 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n wireless

Raspberry Pi 4 has 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless

aight, should i spend the left over money on my gpu instead? (GTX 1070)

12 minutes ago, lowonleyasmoth said:

aight, should i spend the left over money on my gpu instead? (GTX 1070)

Maybe but at the same time finding a GPU right now at a reasonable price is difficult. Try maybe with the newegg shuffle to get your hands on a 3060ti or 3070 or watch ebay and local listings for a used 2070 that fits in your budget.

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Maybe but at the same time finding a GPU right now at a reasonable price is difficult. Try maybe with the newegg shuffle to get your hands on a 3060ti or 3070 or watch ebay and local listings for a used 2070 that fits in your budget.

true, i should wait untill the shortage is over and get a 3060 right?

Just now, lowonleyasmoth said:

true, i should wait untill the shortage is over and get a 3060 right?

The 3060 would be a decent upgrade and by the time the shortage blows over you should be able to find one pretty cheaply, potentially around 300-350$.

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

The 3060 would be a decent upgrade and by the time the shortage blows over you should be able to find one pretty cheaply, potentially around 300-350$.

huh if i save up i might be able to get a cpu and a gpu pog, rip psu tho

40 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Ryzen 7

Core i9

also would a corsair hydro H75 be able to cool these cpu's?

11 minutes ago, lowonleyasmoth said:

also would a corsair hydro H75 be able to cool these cpu's?

not for the core i9 but the Ryzen 7 would work fine

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

not for the core i9 but the Ryzen 7 would work fine

aight, might have found a better solution but will still have this for the eventual upgrade, also what would you say my cpu is worth?

5 minutes ago, lowonleyasmoth said:

aight, might have found a better solution but will still have this for the eventual upgrade, also what would you say my cpu is worth?

The price of used components depends heavily where you live, there's no magical number.

You should search/look the used market to see what your used CPU/Motherboard is worth, take a few days to see how the availability of used CPUs and their prices vary. 

2 minutes ago, NighhhT said:

The price of used components depends heavily where you live, there's no magical number.

You should search/look the used market to see what your used CPU/Motherboard is worth, take a few days to see how the availability of used CPUs and their prices vary. 

aight ty

On 1/11/2022 at 8:05 PM, AndreiArgeanu said:

should i get the founders edition or some of the others? (will upgrade cpu to the Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8)