Ram dilemma

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my memory module, at the moment I'm running a pair of 8gb sticks of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3000mhz.

lately my system seems to stutter on video playback when I'm playing New World, playing a video and looking at the internet at the same time. I know it cant be my graphics card as I have an RTX 3060 12gb and my Ryzen 5 3600 should be more than enough for that kind of multi-tasking.

My problem is my MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC lists its memory speeds at 3200/ 3466 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE). So does this mean i have to buy 3200mhz ram and OC to 3466 or can I buy 3600mhz ram which can run at that speed, but ill obviously only get 3466mhz instead of the native 3600mhz?

I tried to buy second hand Corsair Dominators from a guy who really opened my eyes to how fussy motherboards can be, he had 4 x 8gb sticks that could be run in quad setup. But when i went to purchase them he warned me that the reason for sale was that only 2 of his sticks registered inside his system, he said all sticks work fine as he switched them up in configuration and all sticks registered in his BIOS. When he contacted someone about why all 4 sticks wouldnt work together he was told it was because some motherboards are really fussy.

I really don't want to spend money and find it not to work, any help would be appreciated.

I think you need to manually set the clock speed to what you want

Yeah think I'm going to play it safe and go for CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz at CL16 and run with that. CL16 3600MHz gets really pricey and CL18 is described as to loose for gaming and you wouldn't see any difference really. Plus i don't want to shell out the money for 3600MHz and find out they don't even register in my motherboard, at least I know the 3200's will definitely work.

Does the stuttering happen on any other games? Only asking as a I know that New World had quite a reputation for graphics anomalies and abnormal load on the graphics card, so worth test that out first before looking at the hardware.

Your hardware is all very reasonable spec, so I would expect to be able to run a video on one screen and a game on another quite easily. Just keep a Task Mgr running in the background and track total RAM load and GPU.GPU load... 

In terms of your RAM upgrade, just stating the obvious - I assume you're looking to ditch the old sticks and replace with two new ones?

You mentioned the guy who couldn't get the 4 sticks of Corsair Dominators to run together - I had a similar problem with my 4x8Gb sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX (Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16).

I worked out the cause: they were bought separately as two matched pairs, a month apart. I specifically went for identical part numbers as soon as I could afford to buy more, but my first pair were "v4.32" Samsung B-die memory modules (very strong reputation) and the second pair was "v5.32" of the same part number... with Hynix modules 😞

They'll run fine at XMP speeds as 4x8Gb provided they're all Samsung B-Die, but the owner of those didn't want to let them go.

Summary is that it looks like Corsair swapped out the parts: presumably once the Samsung B-Die reputation started to attract a lot of positive reviews, the prices crept up and Hynix were used as a cheaper option.

Technically not a scam as they were still **just** able to run as a pair within the advertised XMP spec, but zero overclock potential (which the Samsung versions would do easily) and really cheeky of Corsair to advertise later versions under the same part number (with the favourable reputation), especially since they were not able to run alongside the original version of that part number, even at the original advertised XMP/DOCP speeds.

Main thing is that they're different parts using the same number, so I would never have bought them had I known the defining component within the DIMM was different - it's put me off using Corsair RAM again for anything other than a budget builds going forward. 

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

Yeah I never really got into detail with the guy as it really put me off buying them, thinking I was going to run into a monumental headache trying to get them to work. I had my system monitor opened last night when I loaded all the same programs and my memory usage was pretty high, there was only roughly 1gb of space left available on my 16gb of ram. My CPU peaked around 80%, so no great issues with that. 

Yeah I know that New World isn't very optimised and probably the game doesn't help but i had planned on upgrading my ram as 16gb is starting to not cut it the more the games are getting more and more sophisticated, so think upgrading to 32gb is probably for the better.