EFI emulators for a legacy PC

Hey there,

So, I came across a certain Project known as Clover and another known as Opencore. Now those in the Hackintosh scene may be very familiar with this. But in a nutshell, these are bootloaders that inject certain properties, kexts and drivers that allow a non-apple pc to boot macOS.

So, an interesting thing about these bootloaders is that they can emulate a UEFI environment even on a non-UEFI PC.

I have an old PC that can only boot from MBR drives for some rando reason (HP was probably just lazy). And I want to boot a GPT drive on it (for reasons).

And so, my question are there other bootloaders like these but that don't inject anything (ie. doesn't change the properties, ACPI, etc of the PC in the way a hackintosh bootloader would)?

Thanks

ps. Mods I wasn't sure where to post this, so please move this to the appropriate sub-forum and remove this line after. Thanks.

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

51 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

And so, my question are there other bootloaders like these but that don't inject anything (ie. doesn't change the properties, ACPI, etc of the PC in the way a hackintosh bootloader would)?

IIRC you can configure Clover and OpenCore to not inject things, in OpenCore it seems like these are the two options to change for doing so according to this Reddit post:

• Enable Kernel > Quirks > CustomSMBIOSGuid

• Change PlatformInfo > UpdateSMBIOSMode to Custom

Either way, the injections usually aren't harmful

🙂

17 minutes ago, duncannah said:

IIRC you can configure Clover and OpenCore to not inject things, in OpenCore it seems like these are the two options to change for doing so according to this Reddit post:

Either way, the injections usually aren't harmful

Hey there, thanks. But in the time since I posted that I found this, which seems pretty close to what I want. But thanks for your help, that is somehting I'll keep in mind.

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.