How to Convert a Case From Rivets to Screws

Hi everyone, 

I have been planning to mod and repaint my case, and part of the project was to take the whole thing apart. However, since the case was originally held together by rivets, that meant having to permanently remove them and replace them with something, ideally screws as to make future dis/reassemblies more convenient. Since the rivet holes prohibited threading the sheet metal itself, my only option were inserts. 

I first thought of using rivnuts, which I already had. However, those required pretty big holes even for M3 or M4 screws, and wouldn't provide a flat surface which would be problematic for reassembly. I then considred weldnuts, but since I have as much welding experience as I do access to welding equipement, I wrote that option out pretty quickly.The option I choose to go for were these, self-clinching threaded inserts: 

3a8c3787-ee55-4057-97ab-938fd26304d1_1.e9e5355121c7400a9061b36f9a94963b.jpeg?odnHeight=180&odnWidth=180&odnBg=ffffff

These are meant to be pressed into steel sheets using a arbor press of some kind, and when done well are reasonably sturdy while providing a nice flush surface. Sadly, they turned out to be pretty hard to find online as McMasterCarr doesn't ship to canadians who aren't a business, but I did manage to order a set of 50 M3 and another 50 M4s for $13 CAD each on Walmart (of all places): https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/S-M4-0-Carbon-Steel-Self-Clinching-Rivet-Nut-100pcs-for-0-8mm-Thin-Plates/PRD4QOL5V292M6E.

I also got some assortments of metric screws from Amazon for about $20 CAD: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08HXTTYN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried pressing in the inserts with a vice I made in shop class years ago, but that was not enough to get inserts to stick properly (obviously). I then gave in and bought a proper press on Amazon for about $150 CAD :https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B015PXHAPY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61PeGDBuEwL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Once I had everything, I got to work. As I drilled out the rivets, I made sure to take note of where I would have to install which inserts, as I bought M4s for the "main" mounting points and M3s for the smaller areas that wouldn't accomodate the diameter of the M4s. Then I got to installing the inserts. The whole thing went pretty smoothly, even though some inserts were harder to reach with the press then others. That affordable little press proved strong enough to reliably install the inserts permanently into the sheet metal. I did need to reinstall a few of them after a test assembly of the case, but I'm now pretty confident that they are all gonna survive multiple assemblies and disassemblies. Here is the result:

20220108_132925.thumb.jpg.29b0b75ac3c1ffe017da8218ba47a8e0.jpg

20220108_132959.thumb.jpg.8e97a0672177b8e2baf7dabeb5044ae6.jpg20220108_222933.thumb.jpg.46498eb62f0b9da56d401851f247dd09.jpgassdf

And voilà, the case is now fully held together by screws. While the result is both sturdy and much more useable, all the pressing did cause some deformation in the panels, which led to a small amount of wobble once assembled.This shouldn't be too much of a problem, I'll probably just have to figure out a constraining jig for the final assembly.

20220108_222905.thumb.jpg.a96aef2f7788ef129adf66b650d137ca.jpg

Overall, while the result is very satisfying, it still did come at a cost: 25 for the inserts, 20 for the screws, and about 150 for the press. This is pretty expensive all considred to just avoid having to use regular nuts and bolts, but if you have access to a press already, I recommend this method. I'm probably gonna do a writeup on this whole project once the case is done painting, but this won't happen until spring as I still need to sand and prime and paint, all things that are better done outside. I just wanted to post this early, as I imagine this is a pretty common problem encoutered by case modders. Hope this helped someone!

I would've said screws and nuts, with the more permanent ones being soldered together so as not to move, or vinyl locknuts.

ya most people;e use rivet back together and not spend the moeny on screws/nuts. i remember bill from mnpc tech spent like $150 on socap screws for a build. i like em but there expensive...i have a few for rads but they get used fast.

funny that of all company's coolermaster has these thumb screws to attach fans to the rad and they work well to bad there not sold sepritly and the quality of them are pour like rust on em...

nice to see people "moding"

odd that i dont see alot more 3d printing in cases i no if i could 3d print my pc would be full of it...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

• 2 weeks later...

Outside of PC modding, I had success with rivet nuts. You install it like a rivet, but it is threaded on the inside so you can screw into it. Simple, fast, efficient, and doesn't deform the base material at all. Your inserts looks good, too. Don't know which option would be easier or cheaper.