R9 280x or GTX 770?

jaffacakes

Hi, i'm building my self a gaming PC, and I'm not sure between the Asus R9 280x DC2, Asus R9 280x DC2 Top and the Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB version.
My budget is about €270 and I'm buying from QmaxTech, since i live in Italy and it has great pricing.

Thanks in advance,
TheSlimyPig

I personally would go 770 because of the Nvidia gimmicks and because mining has died.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Hi, i'm building my self a gaming PC, and I'm not sure between the Asus R9 280x DC2, Asus R9 280x DC2 Top and the Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB version.

My budget is about €270 and I'm buying from QmaxTech, since i live in Italy and it has great pricing.

Thanks in advance,

TheSlimyPig

For both gaming performance and compute performance, u should get the 770...and why not asus gtx 770...???

770 for a single monitor and 280 for multi monitors

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

GTX 770 for sure.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Gtx 770.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

770 for a single monitor and 280 for multi monitors

I havo only one monitor so i'll go for the 770

Whichever one has the better price, you get more stuff with Nvidia currently, if PhysX is something you care about.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I definitely recommend the Asus DC2 R9 280X over the Gigabyte GTX 770 because the Asus 280X runs significantly quieter than the Gigabyte 770 & the largely because of memory & memory bandwidth disadvantages of the 770.

And before you say 2GB is enough, I want you to check out PCPer's podcast.

In PCPer's testing both the GTX 770 and GTX 760 experienced numerous lag spikes that Ryan described as being "very noticeable" in Bioshock Infinite, both in 1920x1080 and 2560x1440, these lag spikes did not exist with an R9 280X, the conclusion was due to the 770 and 760 running out of memory
This time-stamped link will take you to when Ryan talks about it : http://youtu.be/_sl__2PEHRI?t=22m40s

Both the PS3 and the XBOX360 had 512mb of memory available for the GPU, in contrast both the PS4 & XBOX1 have 8GB of memory shared between the CPU & GPU. The majority of game development starts on the consoles due to quality & framerate targets and then trickles down to the PC, developers only had 512mb of VRAM to work with just two years ago and now they have 6-8 times as much, we'll start seeing much higher resolution textures in games and more memory intensive effects that the developers could not have implemented before, this includes global illumination and other forms of ray-tracing, longer view distances, more complicated depth of field effects, sub-surface scattering, more tessellation and so on.

And this issue becomes even more detrimental in SLI because as the game becomes more demanding the higher memory it will require and so you will run into a memory brick wall before you can make use of the additional performance of the second card.

And it's not just Bioshock Infinite, a lot of modern games like Tomb Raider, Batman Arkham Origins, Rome 2 Total War, Skyrim with high-res textures & BF4 in specific multi-player levels & generally in single-player.

This is basically the old choice between the 7970 and the 680.  The 280X is a bit stronger at higher OC's and has the VRAM advantage but the 770 is a bit more reliable and better in multi-card situations.  I've had two different CF 7970 setups and they both worked great for me.  If I were choosing between these two today I'd probably go for the 770 Lightning myself...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

This is basically the old choice between the 7970 and the 680.  The 280X is a bit stronger at higher OC's and has the VRAM advantage but the 770 is a bit more reliable and better in multi-card situations.  I've had two different CF 7970 setups and they both worked great for me.  If I were choosing between these two today I'd probably go for the 770 Lightning myself...

XFX still offers lifetime warranty on their 280Xs so reliability is still top notch.

The Asus DC2 280X does beat out the 770 by a good margin.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7400/the-radeon-r9-280x-review-feat-asus-xfx/9
The Gigabyte 770 has locked voltages so you can't overclock it nearly as well as the 280X.
I'm also surprised no one mentioned Mantle which does allow the 280X to compete with a GTX 780 in BF4 multiplayer.
You can run PhysX off your CPU just fine as well.

I definitely recommend the Asus DC2 R9 280X over the Gigabyte GTX 770 because the Asus 280X runs significantly quieter than the Gigabyte 770 & the largely because of memory & memory bandwidth disadvantages of the 770.

And before you say 2GB is enough, I want you to check out PCPer's podcast.

In PCPer's testing both the GTX 770 and GTX 760 experienced numerous lag spikes that Ryan described as being "very noticeable" in Bioshock Infinite, both in 1920x1080 and 2560x1440, these lag spikes did not exist with an R9 280X, the conclusion was due to the 770 and 760 running out of memory

This time-stamped link will take you to when Ryan talks about it : http://youtu.be/_sl__2PEHRI?t=22m40s

Both the PS3 and the XBOX360 had 512mb of memory available for the GPU, in contrast both the PS4 & XBOX1 have 8GB of memory shared between the CPU & GPU. The majority of game development starts on the consoles due to quality & framerate targets and then trickles down to the PC, developers only had 512mb of VRAM to work with just two years ago and now they have 6-8 times as much, we'll start seeing much higher resolution textures in games and more memory intensive effects that the developers could not have implemented before, this includes global illumination and other forms of ray-tracing, longer view distances, more complicated depth of field effects, sub-surface scattering, more tessellation and so on.

And this issue becomes even more detrimental in SLI because as the game becomes more demanding the higher memory it will require and so you will run into a memory brick wall before you can make use of the additional performance of the second card.

And it's not just Bioshock Infinite, a lot of modern games like Tomb Raider, Batman Arkham Origins, Rome 2 Total War, Skyrim with high-res textures & BF4 in specific multi-player levels & generally in single-player.

The Asus DC2 280X does beat out the 770 by a good margin.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7400/the-radeon-r9-280x-review-feat-asus-xfx/9

The Gigabyte 770 has locked voltages so you can't overclock it nearly as well as the 280X.

I'm also surprised no one mentioned Mantle which does allow the 280X to compete with a GTX 780 in BF4 multiplayer.

You can run PhysX off your CPU just fine as well.

Thank you for the explanation. I'm leaning twards the R9 280X because i will be playing Bioshock Infinte and BF4 (I've known BF4 gives advantages to Mantle), but I'm still not sure between the Asus R9 280x DC2 and the Asus R9 280x DC2 Top. The DC2 Top from what i heard has a "better" bios and has a better OC capability. So is it worth for €20 more?

R9 280x is absolute beast especially with mantle you can almost reach the 780 performance

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

R9 280x is absolute beast especially with mantle you can almost reach the 780 performance

Thanks, I will buy the R9 280X.

i have a 280x and its good so far (need to get mantle though!)

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

I had an XFX R9 280X and was very happy with it. I would recommend it over the GTX 770 as it does have more VRAM and will perform slightly better at higher resolutions. Even at 1080p some games like Crysis 3 are getting pretty close to 2GB of memory usage, so having the additional 1GB in the 280X might become important in the future.  From what I've heard, the R9 280X also OC's better.

As others said it depends on what you care for OP. More VRAM is certainly more "future proof" (I know I know lol). On the contrary you've got features like PhysX or HBOO in some games, but it's rather in terms of the short run. And yeah, the 280X OC's like a MF'er.

I don't really miss physx and i own loads of physx titles like all batmans, alice madness returns, borderlands 2, physx is just graphics, gameplay>>>graphics.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I don't really miss physx and i own loads of physx titles like all batmans, alice madness returns, borderlands 2, physx is just graphics, gameplay>>>graphics.

For me it is GAMEPLAY ~ GRAPHICS

I had an XFX R9 280X and was very happy with it. I would recommend it over the GTX 770 as it does have more VRAM and will perform slightly better at higher resolutions. Even at 1080p some games like Crysis 3 are getting pretty close to 2GB of memory usage, so having the additional 1GB in the 280X might become important in the future.  From what I've heard, the R9 280X also OC's better.

Thank you, I will buy the R9 280X and, as previously said, I'll run PhysX off my CPU.

I car a little about graphics but i can run PhysX off my CPU since it's got integrated graphics.