Is it possible to make a console work through DP with an adapter?

FRD

I've made a similar topic before, but I'm still curious.

Right now I'm able to get a used Asus ROG for a great deal and I want to pick it up to use with PC and console, but I'm doubting. The problem is that it's a G-Sync monitor, which is for Nvidia GPUs mainly.

My question is, is there any way to make a console work through DisplayPort with an adapter? I can't find it online for sure.

From my research passive adapters won't work, but I'm not sure about active adapters. They can be expensive and not guaranteed to work. How do I know it will work? Or will it never work because of the G-Sync?

For reference, the monitor has HDMI, but that is capped about 60hz, I have a Xbox Series S and want to achieve 1080p 144hz.

6 minutes ago, Zagna said:

Club 3D HDMI to DisplayPort 4K60Hz M/F Active Adapter

Seems likely? Even has Xbox in the product images.

I've been looking at that one actually. Good thing the pics show console as an example, but I'm still stuck with the gamble on if it will work on G-Sync monitors.

4 minutes ago, whispous said:

How do you plan to have Audio?

Right, I haven't thought of that, since it's only video pass through. HDMI isn't output, so it won't work and I could connect a headset to my controller, but not sure if that would do the trick and I want to use speakers instead. Need to look into this, the monitor has no audio jacks I believe.

16 minutes ago, FRD said:

I've made a similar topic before, but I'm still curious.

Right now I'm able to get a used Asus ROG for a great deal and I want to pick it up to use with PC and console, but I'm doubting. The problem is that it's a G-Sync monitor, which is for Nvidia GPUs mainly.

My question is, is there any way to make a console work through DisplayPort with an adapter? I can't find it online for sure.

From my research passive adapters won't work, but I'm not sure about active adapters. They can be expensive and not guaranteed to work. How do I know it will work? Or will it never work because of the G-Sync?

For reference, the monitor has HDMI, but that is capped about 60hz, I have a Xbox Series S and want to achieve 1080p 144hz.

are you sure the hdmi port don't support 1080p 120hz ?  that doesn't make sense

and btw way Asus ROG doesn't mean anything its just an Asus brand you need to put the display model

2 minutes ago, Gorou92 said:

are you sure the hdmi port don't support 1080p 120hz ?  that doesn't make sense

and btw way Asus ROG doesn't mean anything its just an Asus brand you need to put the display model

Actually I didn't put the type, because I'm paranoid someone else might pick up the deal. haha

Yes, HDMI does up to 2550x1440 60hz only and it's HDMI 1.4. Only works through DP according to spec sheet.

1 minute ago, FRD said:

Actually I didn't put the type, because I'm paranoid someone else might pick up the deal. haha

Yes, HDMI does up to 2550x1440 60hz only and it's HDMI 1.4. Only works through DP according to spec sheet.

No need to worry, since its an HDMI1.4 display no one gonna think Its a very good deal

anyway according to this reddit post it should work

11 minutes ago, FRD said:

Right, I haven't thought of that, since it's only video pass through. HDMI isn't output, so it won't work and I could connect a headset to my controller, but not sure if that would do the trick and I want to use speakers instead. Need to look into this, the monitor has no audio jacks I believe.

Are you sure?  Both HDMI and DisplayPort support audio and video.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Gorou92 said:

No need to worry, since its an HDMI1.4 display no one gonna think Its a very good deal

anyway according to this reddit post it should work

The post is right, however for this certain monitor the HDMI should be capped at 60hz. Normally HDMI 1.4 can do 1080p 144hz and 1440p 75hz. Right now it can only do 1440p 60hz at best.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Are you sure?  Both HDMI and DisplayPort support audio and video.

Didn't do my research, it does support audio too. I've just never used it in practice.

I realized the monitor has a audio jack, so sound should be no problem I think. I can even hook up a PC speaker system to that if I want.

4 hours ago, FRD said:

The post is right, however for this certain monitor the HDMI should be capped at 60hz. Normally HDMI 1.4 can do 1080p 144hz and 1440p 75hz. Right now it can only do 1440p 60hz at best.

Didn't do my research, it does support audio too. I've just never used it in practice.

I realized the monitor has a audio jack, so sound should be no problem I think. I can even hook up a PC speaker system to that if I want.

The audio jack is probably audio IN, not out.