My PCIe cable melted inside my GPU socket.

Hey Guys

Due to a loose connection between the Power supply cable and the power socket of Graphics Card, the insulation of the PSU cable got a little burnt and got stuck in the socket of my Graphic Card. The Graphic Card is working perfectly fine and there is no physical damage to it. The melted insulation of the PCIe cable of PSU is stuck inside the power socket of the Graphic card and so the psu cable is not going inside now. Thing is the RMA guys think its a burn issue and arent giving a specific answer for replacement. The GPU is in Warranty.

Please help as i have a RTX 3080 :C

Here is my Current Spec

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 32GB 3600MHZ
Mobo: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi
GPU: Inno3d Ichill X3 RTX 3080
PSU: Gigabyte GM 750 watt 80+ gold

1 minute ago, PePew said:

PSU: Gigabyte GM 750 watt 80+ gold

Um, that might be your issue, not the PSU cable. Did you get that thing replaced?

As for the GPU, you might be able to use a needle and try to pick it out of there. 

The next solutions I'm going to suggest are going to be at your own risk. I take no responsibility for anything that might go wrong or any damages cause. Do so at your own risk.

You might be able to take a lighter and melt the insulation again. I'd recommend you take the cooler off in order to do this so you don't damage anything on the cooler. Then go back to using a needle or something (maybe the angled tweezers from an iFixit kit would do a good job). 

Finally, you might find it easier to just remove and solder on a new 8 pin connector. They're $2 a piece and should be pretty easy to desolder and solder the new one on. I'd only think about doing that if you have some electronics experience, but it is an option. 

That said, if the cable was shorting and able to melt the insulation, I'm surprised the system didn't shut down (I mean, not that surprised given what the PSU is), and that nothing caught fire. You say the GPU works and there's no physical damage, I am not so sure. I highly doubt nothing broke on the GPU. If somehow nothing did, I'd go out and buy a megamillions ticket if I were you.

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Um, that might be your issue, not the PSU cable. Did you get that thing replaced?

As for the GPU, you might be able to use a needle and try to pick it out of there. 

The next solutions I'm going to suggest are going to be at your own risk. I take no responsibility for anything that might go wrong or any damages cause. Do so at your own risk.

You might be able to take a lighter and melt the insulation again. I'd recommend you take the cooler off in order to do this so you don't damage anything on the cooler. Then go back to using a needle or something (maybe the angled tweezers from an iFixit kit would do a good job). 

Finally, you might find it easier to just remove and solder on a new 8 pin connector. They're $2 a piece and should be pretty easy to desolder and solder the new one on. I'd only think about doing that if you have some electronics experience, but it is an option. 

That said, if the cable was shorting and able to melt the insulation, I'm surprised the system didn't shut down (I mean, not that surprised given what the PSU is), and that nothing caught fire. You say the GPU works and there's no physical damage, I am not so sure. I highly doubt nothing broke on the GPU. If somehow nothing did, I'd go out and buy a megamillions ticket if I were you.

I second this thought that the exploding PSU is to blame. I kid you not, this is the first shown review on Amazon right now:

Reviewed in the United States on September 13, 2020

Style: GP-G750HVerified Purchase
Im hoping we received a defective product. We purchased this product almost a year ago. Yesterday, the power cable shorted and melted, almost starting a fire in our home. Luckily we were home at the time and our Nest smoke detectors alerted us to the smoke. I’m hoping the company makes good on its warranty, and that none of our other components were damaged! Will update if we get a satisfactory response.

UPDATE 9/21/20: Response from Gigabyte - NO support via warranty. We were told it’s must have shorted.’ Really? And no offer to fulfill warranty claim. Very disappointing. And scary to boot.

Well, thanks for the lovely reply, its very helpful.

I did try to remove the melted particles with a needle but there are still some stuck. Also now the pin is cleaned but the part around the insides of the Socket is not fully cleaned. The cables are also getting inside, but i am not sure whether to start my pc or not. And ya, my GPU is fine actually it did crash while i was gaming but i thought at first that it was just a random game crash so i restarted my Pc and it turned on. it happend 3 times and then i smelled a burning which made me sure that it was the cable melted inside the GPU Socket.

Now, the GPU is still in warranty, so i am kinda hoping that it gets replaced. Also, yes i am switching my PSU to a ROG Strix 750G which has a 10 Year Warranty. I am only concerned that my GPU gets replaced. Otherwise i am thinking of getting good sleeved cables and trying my luck turning on and slowly heating the melted part and cleaning it (if that works), otherwise will have to go for the repair (soldering and stuff)

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

I second this thought that the exploding PSU is to blame. I kid you not, this is the first shown review on Amazon right now:

Nah, i am sure that wasnt the case as rest all the things are fine and the PSU cut off as its cable got melted. But stil i am going to replace it with a better one anyways

5 minutes ago, PePew said:

otherwise will have to go for the repair (soldering and stuff)

It might be worth sending to a shop to get the repair done. Someone like Louis Rossmann should be able to do it for not much money. 

If you are gonna do it yourself, make sure you get a connector with the clip in the same direction as the rest of your card. I didn't look up which way it was on your card so can't say if the one I linked would work (too lazy to check), just make sure before you go through the effort of replacing it. 

13 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

The issue that causes the P750GM to explode would not cause PCIe cables to melt in the graphics card connector. The review you linked to is for a different power supply the G750H.

14 minutes ago, PePew said:

I did try to remove the melted particles with a needle but there are still some stuck. Also now the pin is cleaned but the part around the insides of the Socket is not fully cleaned.

Can you post a photo of the connector on the graphics card so we can see where it's melted and how bad it is.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The issue that causes the P750GM to explode would not cause PCIe cables to melt in the graphics card connector. The review you linked to is for a different power supply the G750H.

The review is the first one that came up when I looked for the GP-P750GM on Amazon. I didn't notice that it was for a different 750 model.

I'm going to blame Gigabyte on that one, though, because companies shouldn't use a listing to lump together products from different product families to begin with, as it only invites this exact type of confusion, and in the case of the GP-PX50GM models, I think it might be intentional to obfuscate the issues.

26 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It might be worth sending to a shop to get the repair done. Someone like Louis Rossmann should be able to do it for not much money. 

If you are gonna do it yourself, make sure you get a connector with the clip in the same direction as the rest of your card. I didn't look up which way it was on your card so can't say if the one I linked would work (too lazy to check), just make sure before you go through the effort of replacing it. 

Yes, i will send it to a shop, but i hope that it gets replaced in RMA 

19 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Can you post a photo of the connector on the graphics card so we can see where it's melted and how bad it is.

Yes sure i will post it here.

PSU Cable Melt.jpeg

GPU Socket Melt.jpeg

Its the last Pin on the Right Corner, which has the melted insulation on it

9 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

The review is the first one that came up when I looked for the GP-P750GM on Amazon. I didn't notice that it was for a different 750 model.

I'm going to blame Gigabyte on that one, though, because companies shouldn't use a listing to lump together products from different product families to begin with, as it only invites this exact type of confusion, and in the case of the GP-PX50GM models, I think it might be intentional to obfuscate the issues.

Well its true thats why i am going to change my PSU to a ROG Strix or a Corsair PSU

21 minutes ago, PePew said:

Yes sure i will post it here.

PSU Cable Melt.jpeg

GPU Socket Melt.jpeg

Wow…. That’s crazy. 

Try and exacto knife or metal pick. But that’s pretty crappy. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

Wow…. That’s crazy. 

Try and exacto knife or metal pick. But that’s pretty crappy. 

I did try to clean it, the pic you see here is of the cleaned one, the one before cleaning was a mess, i coudnt see the pin even at that time