Avidemux sound missing after joining [append] videos?

What am i missing,  this should actually be simple,  but it doesn't seem to work at all?

i tried to make sure the first video is really at the end before appending the next, i tried "avi" and mp4 format (always copy as i don't want any reencoding and funny enough that worked fine when i added an audio file to another video)

And also funny enough all 3 videos (i haven't tried with only 2 videos yet) have the same resolution and framerate and audio quality (although i don't see why that would be important anyway)

Is there anything i can do or is that just how it is (non functional)?

I don't really get why no one can do something like Windows movie maker with some improved features like audio editing and 4k support... (which is what I'll have to end up using if this doesn't work,  but id really prefer avidemux as it, to my understanding,  doesn't need to reencode / compress which is of course preferable,  at least for me)

note: the first video always has sound after saving,  its everything i appended that doesn't have sound.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Maybe you need to edit the sound apart from the video?
Mux video's together, and use audio editor to combine the audio, then re-insert that audio to the complete video?

Just guessing here. 🙂

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

5 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Maybe you need to edit the sound apart from the video?
Mux video's together, and use audio editor to combine the audio, then re-insert that audio to the complete video?

Just guessing here. 🙂

i thought about something like that,  but how do i extract the audio? does avidemux do that? because otherwise that probably gets complicated with audio being in sync and stuff, i suppose.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

i thought about something like that,  but how do i extract the audio? does avidemux do that? because otherwise that gets complicated with audio being in sync and stuff, i suppose.

I guess it can, since:

But in all honesty i just googled it, i dont know Avidemux well. 😉

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

4 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

I guess it can, since:

But in all honesty i just googled it, i dont know Avidemux well. 😉

ok, thanks, ill try something like that if I have time... this should just have been a quick and dirty "merge" tho, so i guess ill use trusty movie maker for now. o.o

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

-= Topic Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

What videos are they? Merging without reencoding only works if everything about the videos is identical.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

What videos are they? Merging without reencoding only works if everything about the videos is identical.

just 3 short videos from bilibili i downloaded with the bilibili app.

what do you mean with "identical" ? like i said resolution,  framerate and even the mp3 bitrate are the same, i guess the video bitrate itself isnt, so i need to reencode each video  in avidemux ?

(edit: or do you mean the file format? thats more complicated,  basically those are "blv" files which i converted to mp4 with vlc, but i still dont understand why i have issues with this video specifically,  see below)

meanwhile im also not sure there isn't something wrong with the first video actually,  it plays fine on my desktop with vlc and wmp but for some reason my laptop cant play it properly 🤔 (i suppose missing codecs, but not sure)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

so i need to reencode each video  in avidemux ?

You can likely put them end to end in avidemux and reencode instead of copying. Since it's the audio breaking I'd reencode only the audio while still copying the video. 

That's assuming avidemux is able to play the audio of all 3 taken individually.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

14 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You can likely put them end to end in avidemux and reencode instead of copying. Since it's the audio breaking I'd reencode only the audio while still copying the video. 

i see, yeah good idea with the audio only...

actually i just tried only 2 videos,  without the one thats apparently buggy... it worked no issues.

So "something" is wrong with this file... or i cant merge more than 2 videos? but likely something is wrong with it since exactly that video will not play on my laptop,  except the original blv file will. also probably cant re-download it, its old, and I probably won't find it anymore, so i need to convert this blv file somehow differently maybe? 

ps: i used copy for video and audio, and mp4muxer...

i guess ill try reencoding next because i have no idea what to do differently with this blv file tbh 🤔

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

@Kilrah ok im trying some stuff out, so far nothing really worked - what should i use as video and audio output and is mp4 muxer ok? because i cant do anything with avi, my pc doesn't play it... also avi makes the video "212 minutes" instead of 15 or so lol.

I guess i figured something out, but it only almost worked... so i cut a short part at the end of the first video, only like 2 seconds (cant do more without making it useless) then still everything copy, then it told me

avdmx19skwc.png.be60d6620e32e05ff5db19cafbda5af3.png

and as said it somewhat worked, there was sound, but unfortunately with pretty long cut outs between the videos...

so how do i put the "cut points" on "key frames"?

thats the only thing i can imagine that could  work... since reencoding didnt work *at all* so far (as in either theres no video or the same missing sound as with copy)

So something with the keyframes (don't know what that even is tbh) or the actual start/endpoints is wrong, probably? 

EDIT: welp, something about this file is very odd... i tried windows built in video editor... that basically has to work... except it had very similar problems,  videos were merged correctly,  sound of the first video was ok... sound and video of the two other videos were speed up around 2x...  

i noticed that in avidemux already,  sometimes the videos seemed to be faster or slower,  but i wasn't sure since the sound was missing.

So something about that file messes the other files up...  im not going to figure this one out lol oof...

Edit 2: can this be something about how the videos were originally encoded...?

i tried merging the 2 videos i knew worked with another one from the same uploader and now the 2 videos that were previously ok were speed up,  but not the 3rd one??

Then i tried to merge 3 other videos, not different from the others seemingly (blv converted to mp4) but different uploaders... no issues whatsoever...!?

This is so weird,  but i feel its something i just don't understand 😕 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

so how do i put the "cut points" on "key frames"?

You use the up and down arrow keys to navigate by keyframe. In most common codecs there is a keyframe every second or so which is a frame that's been encoded and stored in its entirety, then a number of frames that only encode the differences from the previous frame. So if you cut between keyframes any frames until the next keyframe will be missing/corrupted since the base they're supposed to apply to is missing. 

With how broken/weird those files seem to be it best is probably to just use a standard editing software to put them together and reencode the output. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

48 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You use the up and down arrow keys to navigate by keyframe.

i see, so i cut exactly on the keyframes,  that "should" fix the problems (theoretically)?

12 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Since it's the audio breaking I'd reencode only the audio while still copying the video. 

i mean i tried, but nothing worked, because I dont know what to choose,  even just "mp3" didn't work, but mostly i dont understand which video codecs should work? i tried googling it, but besides being really vague i don't even have those options,  mine were all called differently for some reason. 

20220103_124929.thumb.jpg.c9983ef4240a8ba893de40a42dc6e9c1.jpg20220103_124952.jpg.a71896b18637a43ab92d54153e65befa.jpg20220103_125017.jpg.68fae20f399364e548818a2b8a336446.jpg

So which should i typically choose? 

12 hours ago, Kilrah said:

yup, thats the thing every video editor i tried has no issues playing back those videos correctly its just after "saving" it gets messed up.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

MP4 container, MPEG4-AVC, AAC(lav) is pretty standard for an mp4 file.

F@H

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

With how broken/weird those files seem to be it best is probably to just use a standard editing software to put them together and reencode the output. 

Basically... but i tried to reencode the first one with windows editor and well that didn't even work... "no sound" 

So yeah, theoretically i could frankensteiner something with an extra soundtrack or something *probably*... but thats a lot of effort and quality likely wont be good... not saying i wouldn't try as last resort but its probably not "worth it" when sound isnt properly synced and video quality even lower... the no encoding thing from avidemux would have been the "perfect" solution, if it then worked haha. 

But update: So it had me thinking,  if windows cant do it, a more "modern" os might... downloaded inshot app on my phone,  loaded up the videos (same reencoded with vlc ones as on my desktop) low and behold,  1st, the largest, video has "no sound" in the editor - plays fine on my phones built-in player and vlc tho (which i already knew)...

So i edited *that* video, left the other 2 shorter ones alone, with my phone's "built-in" video editor...

worked perfectly, good iq and sound... put that and the 2 other videos into inshot editor... let it do its thing... worked!  = )  its not perfect,  it did something to the sound and overall its not as smooth as it should be, but it worked and no sound drop outs etc (from what i can tell)

So ultimately,  windows doesn't seem to play nice with these converted files, but i needed to convert them, because no editor i know of can read blv files... 

Android has seemingly far less issues with this and i don't think its necessarily the inshot app, because that couldn't play the audio either before i edited it with my phone's editor. 

So now i can try that new file from my phone,  maybe movie maker etc can do more with it now 🤔 

The mystery what is even wrong remains! (but its a workaround,  even as is, its probably "good enough" for now)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity