Good air cooler(s) for 12600k

Go to solution Solved by Morgana,

the 12600k has a tdp of 125w. not sure of your budget, but the noctua nh-d15 is $100 and would work well

the 12600k has a tdp of 125w. not sure of your budget, but the noctua nh-d15 is $100 and would work well

2 minutes ago, Morgana said:

NH-D15 is a PAIN to install. I've done it, and to get a solid clamp force.. it's a pain. I'd much rather pay more and get an AIO.

@master Anything that can comfortably cool 150W will do. 12600k is actually very efficient, and won't have issues running at rated speeds even if you don't have the best of the best. Ask yourself - will you push the chip to its limit or will you mostly use it for game-like intensity workloads. NH-D15 isn't bad. But you need quite a bit of handiness to get it working. And a big case. 

2 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

NH-D15 is a PAIN to install. I've done it, and to get a solid clamp force.. it's a pain. I'd much rather pay more and get an AIO.

@master Anything that can comfortably cool 150W will do. 12600k is actually very efficient, and won't have issues running at rated speeds even if you don't have the best of the best. Ask yourself - will you push the chip to its limit or will you mostly use it for game-like intensity workloads. NH-D15 isn't bad. But you need quite a bit of handiness to get it working. And a big case. 

i will admit that i have never installed a noctua cooler.

Just now, Morgana said:

i will admit that i have never installed a noctua cooler.

though they have almost universal good reviews in terms of cooling performance

I have the NH-D15 running one fan only. I would say that you could probably go with a lesser cooler if you’re not planning on overclocking. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G