Dont buy Hp gaming laptops their support is terrible

So if you are in the market for a gaming laptop and are in the UK.

I strongly advise against HP at this point I have just spent 2 hours arguing with them about repairs.

Here's the situation.

I bought a hp omen 15 on 21st of June 2021 from amazon warehouse so I knew it had been owned previously.

The warranty Is still valid for another 16 days as far as the website can tell.

I opened up the laptop yesterday in order to add a second ssd and upgrade the ram when I noticed to my surprise that the ribbon cable that connects the secondary ssd or hdd is not there. So I search my box and its not there either. So I contact hp in the hopes that I can buy the part I wasn't even asking them for it I just wanted to buy the part. 

Only to find out that in the UK they do not supply parts and on top of that by opening the bottom of the laptop I have voided my warranty.

The only resolution is for me to send it to them for "repair" which will take 8 to 12 days. So I'm not happy about this and I ask them how much is that going to cost me. For a 2 min repair to install something that should have been there from the start. 

The only option they have is to start a repair and I would then get a call in 2 to 3 days where we can talk about price.

So if you are at all an enthusiast and plan on upgrading your pc in the future don't buy hp because they do not support you. 

Meanwhile I contacted amazon and they are prepared to either refund me the cost of the part or repair it themselves which can take up to 14 days but costs me nothing 

I'm really not convinced any of the mainstream manufacturers are any good any more. I bet you'd have the same experience with Dell or Lenovo.

They've simply decided it's not in their interest to supply you a cable when they could supply you a new computer instead for a much higher price (or insist that you send yours and then charge you for a repair that wasn't needed in the first place).

Not ideal, but it is what it is.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Maybe it's a UK thing? HP support here is top notch. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

i've had nothing but good with HP's support on the devices that have "HP premium support" (for those not aware, that should be anything omen, envy, probook, elitebook, spectre, EDIT: and anything Z ofcourse...)

now.. the way you talk to HP support tends to matter a lot more than you think. i've also never heard about opening the laptop voiding the warranty, but then again i havent dont so on anything other than elitebooks or stuff that was meant to be user upgradeable.

warranty also has nothing to do with this.

and yes.. HP has their flaws, while they have an incredible amount of spare parts available, they very much wont help you find them. but i urge you to try out their big competitors and see how far you get there. with acer i've gotten as far as them saying they dont support belgium, despite them selling their garbage here.