Nicehash questions

So I finally decided to try mining as it's winter and electricity isn't that much right now so I can double as a slight heater. But I noticed that when I ran that my PC probably my GPU ran the fan speed to like max even though the temperature doesn't show as being crazy high. Also in task manager it shows almost zero GPU usage, is that normal? Also is there a way I can set to like only use a percentage of my PC, like if I am using my PC for web browsing to have like 80% GPU and 70% at a cap so the system still has breathing room?

If you're just mining recreationally, I'd recommend getting the Nicehash QuickMiner. It's very simple to use and is easier to control. You can set a general target power limit (low, med, high) to determine how hard it pushes your card, and it will automatically adjust the GPU and memory frequencies and power for you, accordingly. It will also be reasonable with fan speed as well, so you don't burn out your fans. It pretty much always runs mine at 50%. It also has a "Game Mode" toggle that allows you to suspend mining and even set custom GPU OC settings, if you want. When you need to actually do some work that needs the GPU, just enable Game Mode, and disable it when you're done to continue mining.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

14 hours ago, Inkz said:

Also in task manager it shows almost zero GPU usage, is that normal?

Task manager is known to be hit or miss with usage reporting. Check something like MSI Afterburner or similar.

14 hours ago, Inkz said:

Also is there a way I can set to like only use a percentage of my PC, like if I am using my PC for web browsing to have like 80% GPU and 70% at a cap so the system still has breathing room?

No, but you can set a power limit as mentioned above. You can still browse the web just fine while mining though. It'll lower hashrate a bit but doesn't otherwise interfere.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 12/30/2021 at 5:48 PM, Chris Pratt said:

If you're just mining recreationally, I'd recommend getting the Nicehash QuickMiner. It's very simple to use and is easier to control. 

how about semi-recreationally? i'm currently checking ads everyday to hopefully get a good deal on 3060ti. i just want to make about $300CAD for paying my monthly car loan. i figured that i would need about three or four 3060ti to approximately make that much money monthly, more or less.

should i go nicehash, or just set it up and go hiveos, maybe use ethermine pool.

i searched the web, and i feel that nicehash users vs direct mining pool users are like ios vs android.

after looking at the numbers, i don't see a big difference.

direct mining does have a LITTLE bit more profits, but not by a lot.

thanks. 

1 hour ago, Error 504 said:

how about semi-recreationally? i'm currently checking ads everyday to hopefully get a good deal on 3060ti. i just want to make about $300CAD for paying my monthly car loan. i figured that i would need about three or four 3060ti to approximately make that much money monthly, more or less.

should i go nicehash, or just set it up and go hiveos, maybe use ethermine pool.

i searched the web, and i feel that nicehash users vs direct mining pool users are like ios vs android.

after looking at the numbers, i don't see a big difference.

direct mining does have a LITTLE bit more profits, but not by a lot.

thanks. 

You can check income using WhatToMine, NiceHash's calculator, 2CryptoCalc etc.A 3060 Ti mining ETH will make you $2.7 to $3.4 revenue (so the income before electricity costs) per day depending on whether it's the LHR variant or not, so about $100 a month per card before electricity indeed. Keep in mind ETH mining will possibly stop this summer and you'll need to make back whatever the cards cost you first, which at current pricing will take a while (like half a year to 10 months at least if my local prices are anything to go by).

The difference between NiceHash and mining yourself is that on NiceHash you are renting out your hashpower, mining for other people and getting paid in BTC, whereas mining yourself you mine for yourself getting paid in whatever you mine.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, tikker said:

You can check income using WhatToMine, NiceHash's calculator, 2CryptoCalc etc.A 3060 Ti mining ETH will make you $2.7 to $3.4 revenue (so the income before electricity costs) per day depending on whether it's the LHR variant or not, so about $100 a month per card before electricity indeed. Keep in mind ETH mining will possibly stop this summer and you'll need to make back whatever the cards cost you first, which at current pricing will take a while (like half a year to 10 months at least if my local prices are anything to go by).

The difference between NiceHash and mining yourself is that on NiceHash you are renting out your hashpower, mining for other people and getting paid in BTC, whereas mining yourself you mine for yourself getting paid in whatever you mine.

ya that's why i chose 3060ti, because PEOPLE on the internet said it's efficient when mining raven, after eth becomes proof of stake. (it's been delayed again??)

of course there are 3070, 3080, 3090, 6800, 6900xt..... they have better hash rate than 3060ti for kawpow, but they also cost much more, both price and electricity-wise.

i like nicehash because it has that quickMiner thingy, where i don't have to worry about tinkering with the settings and toast my graphics cards. but then again, PEOPLE on the internet said mining for yourself yields more money, but i don't think it's a big difference, because i will only have three or four cards. it would probably be a big difference if i had 300 or 400 cards.

10 hours ago, Error 504 said:

ya that's why i chose 3060ti, because PEOPLE on the internet said it's efficient when mining raven, after eth becomes proof of stake. (it's been delayed again??)

Yeah it's been delayed to this  summer again. Who knows what'll happen once ETH moves. If all that hashpower refocesses on RVN, then it won't be so profitable anymore.

10 hours ago, Error 504 said:

i like nicehash because it has that quickMiner thingy, where i don't have to worry about tinkering with the settings and toast my graphics cards. but then again, PEOPLE on the internet said mining for yourself yields more money, but i don't think it's a big difference, because i will only have three or four cards. it would probably be a big difference if i had 300 or 400 cards.

It varies. Sometimes NiceHash nets more, sometimes pools net you more. ETH pools no longer cover transaction fees for you, so are somewhat less profitable now, but NH also takes a cut. It mostly depends on what you want. Do you want BTC or cash out as quickly as possible? Then NiceHash is probably best. Do you want any other coin? Probably better to mine yourself.

14 hours ago, tikker said:

Yeah it's been delayed to this  summer again. Who knows what'll happen once ETH moves. If all that hashpower refocesses on RVN, then it won't be so profitable anymore.

then maybe, just MAYBE, the market will be flooded with used gpu. i think graphics cards come with 3-year warranty, so the ones that are still within warranty period with original receipt will be sold at a "better" price. i wouldn't mind buying a cheap 3090 that has been used to mine but still has original receipt under warranty.

6 hours ago, Error 504 said:

then maybe, just MAYBE, the market will be flooded with used gpu. i think graphics cards come with 3-year warranty, so the ones that are still within warranty period with original receipt will be sold at a "better" price. i wouldn't mind buying a cheap 3090 that has been used to mine but still has original receipt under warranty.

I wouldn't get my hopes too much up due to both the chance people will just move to RVN and that people are generally averse to mining cards due to the uncertainty of how they have been treated.

9 hours ago, tikker said:

I wouldn't get my hopes too much up due to both the chance people will just move to RVN and that people are generally averse to mining cards due to the uncertainty of how they have been treated.

if miners decided to flood the market with used cards, and if the cards were still under warranty with an original receipt, i'd take a chance for a low low price, but of course the price has to be low enough to compete with all the new cards that are coming out.

i think ltt did a video on how mining cards do not necessarily get as "damaged" as regular gaming cards:

the miners i know they actually spend time and energy making sure their cards stay clean and cooled.

but there are two miners that i talked to, they told me that they would keep mining as long as they could make a positive income after electricity, then they would just keep mining, and that reduced profit would be kind of like dividend from stocks. still better than nothing.

6 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

if miners decided to flood the market with used cards, and if the cards were still under warranty with an original receipt, i'd take a chance for a low low price, but of course the price has to be low enough to compete with all the new cards that are coming out.

Given that the new cards are unlikely to be priced any better than what is out now, the second hand market won't be cheap either.

7 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

i think ltt did a video on how mining cards do not necessarily get as "damaged" as regular gaming cards:

the miners i know they actually spend time and energy making sure their cards stay clean and cooled.

That is true, but the thing is you don't know that and will have to take someone's word for it. That'll be increaslingly less reliable once you move away from tech enthusiasts to people simply looking to make money.

9 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

but there are two miners that i talked to, they told me that they would keep mining as long as they could make a positive income after electricity, then they would just keep mining, and that reduced profit would be kind of like dividend from stocks. still better than nothing.

That's basically why I think one shouldn't get their hopes up. If the market stays as it is mining will remain decently profitable. Even an old 1080 Ti is still good for like $2-3 a day. More than stock dividends will pay you.

On 1/4/2022 at 11:10 AM, tikker said:

Given that the new cards are unlikely to be priced any better than what is out now, the second hand market won't be cheap either.

ya, nvidia didn't mention the price for 3090ti, so that probably means the card will cost $6,000CAD on the market.

On 1/4/2022 at 11:10 AM, tikker said:

That's basically why I think one shouldn't get their hopes up. If the market stays as it is mining will remain decently profitable. Even an old 1080 Ti is still good for like $2-3 a day. More than stock dividends will pay you.

i still can't believe any government would let this thing get so out of control. i guess when everybody believes it, and keeps on believing it, then it's not a scam.

well, laissez les bons temps rouler. i'll milk it off my 1080ti until, if ever, people wake up and realize that you can physically touch and smell tulips but not btc.