Can mounting pressure damage a CPU/MOBO?

Vasllo

So, I screwed up my parts choice and changed cooler without checking it's mounting bracket, thought any AM4 would be compatible, but it's not. I've found a way to mount it with some adaptation, but since these parts were not supposed to be used this way, the screw doesn't quite reach the socket and the spring is quite stiff, so just to get the screw to the socket, the mounting pressure is already quite high, I would say it's at least a normal mounting pressure with just 1 thread in. They do line up with the hole just fine.

The motherboard is a Huananzhi X99-TF, Xeon 2640v3 CPU and Gamemmaxx 400 v2 cooler. Yes, the cooler isn't compatible, but some AM4 brackets are compatible with LGA2011-3, the issue is that this one isn't.

Question is: Would it be fine with the extra pressure, or could it kill something? Added a couple pics showing my adaptation on the mounting system. I will try to find longer screws, but these would be the best ones to the job I have rn.

Spoiler

IMG_20211229_162720.jpg

IMG-20211229-WA0068.jpeg

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

if the extra pressure is excessive you could break something but the motherboard can take quite a beating, even flexing it a bit isn't much of an issue. this solution seems like it would work fine. I wouldn't want to have to remount this multiple times, the extra strain you put when you're pushing down to reach the threads would end up breaking something if you redo it 5 or 10 times.
but as long as you don't touch it again or waiting for another cooler that does fit i'd trust it.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

43 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Pro tip: you can use different screws and rubber washers instead of springs. Don't overtighten them though.

I'll see if I can find any other screw or rubber washers, but I don't think I'll have 4 of them.

15 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

if the extra pressure is excessive you could break something but the motherboard can take quite a beating, even flexing it a bit isn't much of an issue. this solution seems like it would work fine. I wouldn't want to have to remount this multiple times, the extra strain you put when you're pushing down to reach the threads would end up breaking something if you redo it 5 or 10 times.
but as long as you don't touch it again or waiting for another cooler that does fit i'd trust it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, it probably can take the pressure, but I'm afraid to bend the socket pins or something, because I don't know how much pressure it is applying nor how far the mobo can take it.

I usually don't take the cooler apart often, I only changed the thermal paste on my old kit once in almost 4 years.

My plan was to get it to work and keep it, it would be ideal to avoid buying another cooler if I could.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Update: I tried to evaluate the pressure the best I could to determine if it would be dangerous, pressing the spring, checking other people's stories on mounting pressure, etc. Decided to go for it, and it's working fine, max temp was, impressively, 62°C on the package and under 60°C in the cores under Prime95 maximum power torture test. Just wished there was a way to remove the power limit, but oh well, it's doing great. Thanks for the advices, guys.