RX 6600XT Artifacting

Tuckplace12

Hello,

So sadly yesterday my 1080 TI died, it's out of warranty so I bought what I could find, a 6600XT. I have never had a AMD GPU. 

For reference, specs:

Ryzen 7 2700X

16 GB Ram

X470 Crosshair Hero 7

850 Watt 80 plus gold PSU

RX 6600 XT

Custom water cooling for cpu

Windows 11 64 bit

At the time of building this system with the 1080 TI, it was a monster. I use a 1440p Acer Free Sync display 144 Hz

Today after a long gaming session I noticed my GPU running slower and slower, also getting random hitching the entire time but otherwise over 60 FPS. In playing Halo Infinite, my fps was steadily dropping. Eventually when I was in between matches the screen slowly started to turn into what you see in the picture. It did something similar one other time. This was all with proper graphics drivers installed and I hadn't even done any overclocking yet. Resizable Bar is on. 

Any ideas as to what could be? I'm thinking a faulty card honestly or I just don't know AMD cards? 

Any and all help would be amazing! 

20211229_005150.jpg

was it a brand new card or used? it seems odd that immediately after your previous card dies, this one craps out on you as well. I worry something else might be at play here. how old is the PSU/what model is it, and are you running stock or custom cables?

18 minutes ago, Shimo Okami said:

was it a brand new card or used? it seems odd that immediately after your previous card dies, this one craps out on you as well. I worry something else might be at play here. how old is the PSU/what model is it, and are you running stock or custom cables?

It's brand new card from microcenter. This card did start working again after a system restart but I fear it's faulty. 

The old 1080 ti lasted 3 years in a unchanged system and it was open box from microcenter. 

The PSU is a Corsair RM 850. I've had it for about 5 years, never been a issue before. 

There is a cable mod extension on the GPU power cable I've been using for 2 years. 

Also a few hours before this, I got massive artifacts not running a game with BSOD. Even the BSOD screen was Artifacting.

Thank you.

hmm okay, that wasn't the corsair line that got recalled for serious issues, and even if it was surely you'd have seen an issue before now lol. so that's probably not it. yeah you might be right then, sounds like you may have lost the silicon lottery.

I guess I'd say check temps and if they seem fine, might be a good call to rma.

1 minute ago, Shimo Okami said:

hmm okay, that wasn't the corsair line that got recalled for serious issues, and even if it was surely you'd have seen an issue before now lol. so that's probably not it. yeah you might be right then, sounds like you may have lost the silicon lottery.

Sadly thinking so, this was the last card of this one they had in stock. This shortage is awful. Thank you for the help I do appreciate it.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar issue thinking it was my card.... found out my evga gold psu was at fault. I swapped the connector off the psu where vga 1 and vga 2 are... and now its fine.. as my psu is approx 4 year old.. keep in mind this card is consuming more power than your 1050 as thats what I had too.. I would lean towards your psu. I thought my card was junk but after testing on another computer it was fine..

Also after swapping connection off the psu. Im having way better performance no drop in speed and such. I love my 6600xt such a huge leap compared to the 1050

10 hours ago, snosrap said:

I had a similar issue thinking it was my card.... found out my evga gold psu was at fault. I swapped the connector off the psu where vga 1 and vga 2 are... and now its fine.. as my psu is approx 4 year old.. keep in mind this card is consuming more power than your 1050 as thats what I had too.. I would lean towards your psu. I thought my card was junk but after testing on another computer it was fine..

Also after swapping connection off the psu. Im having way better performance no drop in speed and such. I love my 6600xt such a huge leap compared to the 1050

That card in pedicular did end up being defective. Luckily when I went back to microcenter they returned it and they had a open box 6700xt Red Devil for 850 I snagged. Really hurt the old wallet but its solved.