Green and White Stuff on Copper Heat Sync of AIO Cooler

Franciszek

Hi I took apart my PC for the first time in a few years because I bought some new parts. When I removed the AIO Cooler (Corsair H100i V2) from the Motherboard I saw this white and green stuff next to the copper.  Is that a normal thing?

What can I do?

Thank you very much.

IMG_5100.HEIC IMG_5101.HEIC IMG_5102.HEIC IMG_5103.HEIC IMG_5104.HEIC

14 minutes ago, Franciszek said:

Hi I took apart my PC for the first time in a few years because I bought some new parts. When I removed the AIO Cooler (Corsair H100i V2) from the Motherboard I saw this white and green stuff next to the copper.  Is that a normal thing?

What can I do?

Thank you very much.

IMG_5100.HEIC 1.29 MB · 2 downloads IMG_5101.HEIC 631.04 kB · 1 download IMG_5102.HEIC 666.94 kB · 0 downloads IMG_5103.HEIC 674.84 kB · 0 downloads IMG_5104.HEIC 684.61 kB · 0 downloads

That green and somewhat whitish stuff is corroded copper, mainly copper oxide but that's beside the point. What type of thermal compound were you using? Can you provide a name? Can you also provide a picture of the corroded surface itself?

Just FYI, that kind of corrosion is mainly "Galvanic corrosion", that happens when two different metals with different metallic properties come into contact with each other. This can be caused by using metal infused thermal paste, or even liquid metal itself.

9 minutes ago, Drogoc0p said:

That green and somewhat whitish stuff is corroded copper, mainly copper oxide but that's beside the point. What type of thermal compound were you using? Can you provide a name? Can you also provide a picture of the corroded surface itself?

Just FYI, that kind of corrosion is mainly "Galvanic corrosion", that happens when two different metals with different metallic properties come into contact with each other. This can be caused by using metal infused thermal paste, or even liquid metal itself.

I'm using Artic MX-4 as a Thermal paste.

Here you can see it happening at the edge of the copper plate.

IMG_5105.HEIC IMG_5106.HEIC

16 minutes ago, Franciszek said:

I'm using Artic MX-4 as a Thermal paste.

Here you can see it happening at the edge of the copper plate.

IMG_5105.HEIC 678.59 kB · 1 download IMG_5106.HEIC 640.55 kB · 1 download

Well, that's not conventional copper corrosion, at least not like anything i've ever seen before. The copper itself seems to be ok, corroded copper looks more like this: Checking your pipes for corrosion

It's a REALLY extreme case but you get the point. It should be solid, not a paste, although it might have mixed with the thermal compound, who knows. 

Can you clean it up and check for leaks? That would be my best concern for now, just possible leakage from that area. I am doubtful it's corroded copper or steel for that matter. Your thermal paste doesn't contain metal or anything that should cause corrosion, plus it's a very well known and proven thermal paste so that should not be the culprit.

I don't know if it's normal, i've never had an AIO, but it looks like you might be ok. Look out for leaks though.

Edited by Drogoc0p
I forgot to mention that MX-4 does not contain metallic particles of any kind and should not cause galvanic corrosion

10 minutes ago, Drogoc0p said:

Well, that's not conventional copper corrosion, at least not like anything i've ever seen before. The copper itself seems to be ok, corroded copper looks more like this: Checking your pipes for corrosion

It's a REALLY extreme case but you get the point. It should be solid, not a paste, although it might have mixed with the thermal compound, who knows. 

Can you clean it up and check for leaks? That would be my best concern for now, just possible leakage from that area. I am doubtful it's corroded copper or steel for that matter. Your thermal paste doesn't contain metal or anything that should cause corrosion, plus it's a very well known and proven thermal paste so that should not be the culprit.

I don't know if it's normal, i've never had an AIO, but it looks like you might be ok. Look out for leaks though.

How can I look for leaks?

4 minutes ago, Franciszek said:

How can I look for leaks?

Does it work fine? Are your temps the same as they were a year or two ago? (Or are they decent if you dont know how they were before?) Does it do any weird sounds when turned on? Those are the main symptoms for a leaky AIO. 

5 minutes ago, Drogoc0p said:

Does it work fine? Are your temps the same as they were a year or two ago? (Or are they decent if you dont know how they were before?) Does it do any weird sounds when turned on? Those are the main symptoms for a leaky AIO. 

It works like a charm, I think the temps have been the same overall. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Franciszek said:

It works like a charm, I think the temps have been the same overall. Thanks!

You should be fine then. Keep an eye on it though! Good luck.