Popping/cracking noise in monitor?

Prodigy22

Hey guys,

So this has been going on for quite some time now. I have 27 inch benq monitor (GW2750) and randomly throughout the day I will here small popping or cracking like noises coming from the monitor. Does not usually happen when the monitor is in use but it has happened. It's more frequent when I shut off the monitor and it's in sleep mode. It comes and goes in bursts, not that often but just enough for me to be annoyed. Googled it and noticed people saying static discharge but not sure what that really means for me, hope you can help thanks! Also Iv noticed it happening more frequently when I open the window that is a few inches behind the monitor in my room.. Not sure if relation or coincidence.

-Bitfenix Prodigy-

I believe this to be a common thing although I have never actually looked into it. I always assumed the pops/cracks are due to the plastic frame cooling and slightly changing shape in the process. This make sense in your case as the open window is causing the plastic to cool faster than regular causing the plastic to pop back into shape more aggressively.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

maybe its the components rapidly cooling down. materials do shrink and expand  when subjected to heat

but honestly, i would get rid of it as i wouldnt want any doubts with any electrical components in my house for the sake of safety

I believe this to be a common thing although I have never actually looked into it. I always assumed the pops/cracks are due to the plastic frame cooling and slightly changing shape in the process. This make sense in your case as the open window is causing the plastic to cool faster than regular causing the plastic to pop back into shape more aggressively.

Yeah this definitely makes more sense now that I think about it. My room is abnormally warm and right now in Canada where I live it is still pretty cool outside so the rapid switch from warm to cool could be the issue.

-Bitfenix Prodigy-

Maybe you have Rice Krispies inside...

In all seriousness, it hard to tell. I need to hear what it sounds like.

But I think, based on what you saying about the window, peaking duck is correct, as that it's plastic changing shape.

Some monitor have this, other only when you move it, others don't. All depends on how the monitor is assembled, and which type of plastic used (as they are many many types of them).

If it's outside of warranty, and it really bugs you (like, a lot), you can try and opening it apart, then closing it back again, but before you to, with a Q-tip of sorts or cloth, apply shaving cream (I am serious) on teh cloth or Q-Tip, and spread it around the edges of the plastic that comes into contact with other plastic parts, and remove the excess after (to not have shaving cream inside the monitor), and close it up.

Shaving creme has oils that stays well with plastic, and the movement of the plastic won't crack as much as before. You can use specialize oils product, but shaving cream is cheap, easy to clean, easy to work with.. somewhat...and does a pretty nice job, as it's not a motor or something with high movement. Plus your monitor get to enjoy a nice shaving creme smell. And yes. I have tested this. I am not talking from my ass, despite what it sounds like. Apparently Coconut Oil works as well, but have not tried it.

Shaving cream can also be used to eliminate fog on mirrors, remove stains from carpeting, silence a squeaky door hinge, and more.

It's like white vinegar, a thousand and one usage, just not as known.