Router modem Lan cable matter?

stefanmz
Go to solution Solved by stefanmz,
14 hours ago, AlexHD said:

The bridge mode should be enabled on the ISP modem.

And then you should setup the router that is connected to the modem as a router.

Yeah I had to call my ISP so they can put the router in their system everything works now. Couldn't call yesterday because it was late but now it works 

Hey,so I recently got a new router and I switched the old cat5 cable my is gave me with the new cat5e that came with the router.  And since that cable connects to my WAN port from the modem does it need to be a special type or it doesn't matter. Because I don't have internet right now and I am wondering if the cable matters. I have signal but no internet.  Also their cable Saud other stuff on it than the one I connected now. Can any Lan cable be used for the WAN port? The other one said like cat 5 cm something and this one is udp data cat5e or something like this the new one. 

I am pretty sure the cable doesn't matter, it should be RJ45 and cat5 or cat5e should've done fine its just the point of how much bandwidth you're gonna use, the highest the cat the higher the quality and the more it can transfer.

Adding to that, you have signal because the router sends it anyway, it just means your routers works. and no connecting probably because you don't have established the connection with the ISP.

And just asking, from where is the cat5e cable connected to the router.

The cat5e connected to the router is from the modem to the router it came with the router from the box of the router 

It used to be more common than it is now, but there is a chance that your ISP modem requires a cross-over ethernet cable. If it does, then you would have to use the ethernet cable they provided to you, or a new cross-over ethernet cable or converter.

Since the above is not as common as it used to be, you may have just gotten a faulty cable with your new router, it does happen from time to time. I personally have gotten bad cables in brand new networking hardware packaging before.

What is the model of your modem, and what is your ISP?

14 minutes ago, stefanmz said:

The cat5e connected to the router is from the modem to the router it came with the router from the box of the router 

I've used a similar setup before, I enabled bridge mode so it would disable the modems wifi capabilities and use the routers.

and you just have to check the config on both modem and router.

maybe checking on the ISP modem if there is a connection with a router, if it shows in there, then it is most probably not the cable and you have to configure the router.

If you can clarify please, is the router supposed  to replace the modem? or just a range extender somewhere else in the apartment (Both router and modem provide wireless)?

If the first option than I would suggest bridge mode.

20 minutes ago, AaronThomas said:

It used to be more common than it is now, but there is a chance that your ISP modem requires a cross-over ethernet cable. If it does, then you would have to use the ethernet cable they provided to you, or a new cross-over ethernet cable or converter.

Since the above is not as common as it used to be, you may have just gotten a faulty cable with your new router, it does happen from time to time. I personally have gotten bad cables in brand new networking hardware packaging before.

What is the model of your modem, and what is your ISP?

So my isp is A1 I live in Bulgaria and my modem is Linksys this one I don't know else.

12 minutes ago, AlexHD said:

I've used a similar setup before, I enabled bridge mode so it would disable the modems wifi capabilities and use the routers.

and you just have to check the config on both modem and router.

maybe checking on the ISP modem if there is a connection with a router, if it shows in there, then it is most probably not the cable and you have to configure the router.

If you can clarify please, is the router supposed  to replace the modem? or just a range extender somewhere else in the apartment (Both router and modem provide wireless)?

If the first option than I would suggest bridge mode.

So the router will provide wireless but the cable from outside goes to the modem and then it connects with a LAN Cable to the WAN port on the router so I don't know if I could replace it. 

20211225_015413.jpg

20211225_015454.jpg

activate bridge mode in the setting if by what you said you meant "Only the router will do wireless"

13 minutes ago, AlexHD said:

activate bridge mode in the setting if by what you said you meant "Only the router will do wireless"

I tried it I set it up as an access point I think that's what you meant? I mean in the tp-link settings there were two options but then I reverted  vack to wireless router because I didn't have internet again same thing and half of my options for mesh and other stuff were gone and I don't want to use this limited mode. So on my CAT5E says data cable cat5e utp something the one that's currently connected and the one the isp gave me says CAT5 Type cm LAN Cable ATOP or something like this.  And it also says UTP somewhere on the cable . Does that matter?

If you set the modem at bridge mode the Rotuer should be set not as an access point but as a router.

And then you should setup the router that is connected to the modem as a router.

Well yes it is like that I think I mean I used it the same way with the old router so it's probably already set. What else could be the problem? 

14 hours ago, AlexHD said:

Yeah I had to call my ISP so they can put the router in their system everything works now. Couldn't call yesterday because it was late but now it works