What is the best use for a NAS?

What is the best use case for a NAS? Let’s say I have a decent PC, (don’t have a PC) and I have 1TB of storage, and I am a streamer/youtuber and I run out. Should I get a NAS, or just get more storage? If I am a game reviewer, should I get a NAS? There are many scenarios, but what is the best scenario for it?

how are you doing today

If you don't need to access the data from more than one computer, just get more storage for your main machine. NAS's are best when you need a ton of storage (20TB+), want to do backups frequently, or need to run other services 24/7 (I.E. Plex server). For just a single computer for holding video files and they're things you can pull from Youtube if necessary, there really isn't a point.

I'd say just get a bigger drive, WD Blue 2tb was on sale earlier this month on Amazon, may still be. 

As a YouTuber myself, I delete my videos and the clips used to make them from my drive as soon as I upload them, I have 6.564 tb of storage on my PC but I don't see a reason in keeping something in the cloud. 

One of the best use cases for a NAS or File Server is that the data is network centralized. Meaning you don't have to be on the PC to access the data you can be on any PC that has access to the NAS/File Server.

Similarly it is easier and usually more secure if done properly to configure a NAS/File Server for off-site access as oppose to remote desktop implementations.

Depending on the OS you can also often host a plethora of services not included or supported by a Windows desktop. Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, TFTP, SSH, VPN, supporting cross platform clients, among other things like PLEX Media, using better more secure file systems than NTFS, sometimes virtual machines, etc.

Then of course the cost to run a NAS over the cost to keep your desktop powered on all the time if you need access to files.

But in the end it's all about your needs. If you just want to keep everything local chuck a couple 16TB HDDs in your PC, make a Storage Space mirror and call it a day. :old-grin:

Best use of a NAS is a central repository for more than one computer.  Just adding storage to your PC is the most direct route and most obvious, but there's still some argument for a small NAS.

Sometimes it's just more convenient to get a two or four bay Synology or QNAP, slap some massive 4-10TB spinners in it and set it up for RAID 1. This way you have a big chunk of data storage available on your network with fault tolerance and you don't have to screw around trying to add more junk inside your case. If something bad happens to your PC you have the peace of mind your NAS is on the other side of the room with your stuff stored safely.

On 12/23/2021 at 6:26 PM, wseaton said:

Best use of a NAS is a central repository for more than one computer.  Just adding storage to your PC is the most direct route and most obvious, but there's still some argument for a small NAS.

Sometimes it's just more convenient to get a two or four bay Synology or QNAP, slap some massive 4-10TB spinners in it and set it up for RAID 1. This way you have a big chunk of data storage available on your network with fault tolerance and you don't have to screw around trying to add more junk inside your case. If something bad happens to your PC you have the peace of mind your NAS is on the other side of the room with your stuff stored safely.

yeah I have to 2nd this idea. Even if you think you don't want outside access, or easy access around the house, going small NAS route allows for easier future expansion and accessibility. 

I use a NAS for the ability to share files between media devices. For example, I use my PC in my office to download movies and tv shows to a common network drive, then stream them to my roku tv in our living room. It also serves as a backup for important files in case my PC crashes.