AMD Athlon 5350 Kabini AM1 and Asrock AM1H-ITX video review with game benchmarks

Marquee

$70 heatsink to cool a $65 APU is kinda pointless if you ask me. Especially once you factor in that you could of bought a i3-4150 instead.

I think you are missing the point here. 

This is an experiment to see how the AMD 5350 with a dedicated GPU does in games. Our goal was 60 fps, 1080p at medium settings for $400. From the results we have mixed answers. But we can see that we are close to the point a truly budget APU or CPU could meat our goals.

Umbra Aqua - Mac Pro Mod

Phthonos - The Xbox Killer?

I think you are missing the point here. 

This is an experiment to see how the AMD 5350 with a dedicated GPU does in games. Our goal was 60 fps, 1080p at medium settings for $400. From the results we have mixed answers. But we can see that we are close to the point a truly budget APU or CPU could meat our goals.

I understand the concept, the only problem with it is the games aren't generally optimized for PC like they are for consoles. Don't get me wrong the Athlon 5350 is capable of playing even heavy games like BF3 above 30 FPS. Tho to get on the scale of what consoles are capable of it takes a little more CPU power on PC. It's too bad that they don't make a dual socket FM1 motherboard. Then you would essentially have the same setup as a console.

dual socket would be more expensive (chipsets and CPUs must be capable of it)

Of course it would, tho that's the point you'll never reach console performance on a PC without at least spending a little bit of money.

Of course it would, tho that's the point you'll never reach console performance on a PC without at least spending a little bit of money.

This is not true. With the Phthonos build we were able to match the console performance for around the $440 mark. If you see the results we able to match both the Xbox One and the Playstation 4 fps at rated resolutions. IGN did a article not long ago where they gathered the fps vs res vs console. Its basically the same as my results in the Phthonos build. Phthonos build goals was to beet the consoles. The next gen console goals should have been 1080p at 60 fps but they come short of that. 

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Assassin's Creed Black Flag

Xbox One                900p @ 30 fps

Playstion 4              1080p @ 30 fps

Phthonos                1080p @ 30 fps

Battlefield 4

Xbox One                 720p @ 60 fps

Playstion 4                900p @ 60 fps

Phthonos                  1080p @ 45 fps

Tomb Raider

Xbox One              1080p @ 30 fps

Playstion 4             1080p @ 60 fps

Phthonos               1080p @ normal 83 fps High 84 fps  Ultra 73 fps  Ultimate 48 fps

900p @ Ultimate 59 fps 

Umbra Aqua - Mac Pro Mod

Phthonos - The Xbox Killer?

I wonder how an intel G3220 would cope vs the 5350, would cost the same 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ObIt

(rough $400 build no os)

Looks a lot more powerful from the benches and the board would run at x16

even the IGP gets a higher framrate

http://www.techspot.com/review/806-amd-kabini-vs-intel-bay-trail-d/page4.html

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii