High AirFlow fans for Server?

Tazz 316

Can anyone suggest some high air flow fans for a server? It has 10 HDD's to cool.

120mm fans only with PWM. My current fans are 103CFM they tend to not last very long.

Thanks

3 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Maybe you rather need static pressure fans?

I'm not sure if that would help? The HDDs are in the front of the case as is all the fans.

The case is a Define_7_XL

1 hour ago, Tazz 316 said:

I'm not sure if that would help? The HDDs are in the front of the case as is all the fans.

For your use-case you need SP-fans - Static Pressure fans and not AF-fans - Airflow fans.

SP fans are designed to keep upp the airflow going in restricted applications, like disk bays, CPU-Coolers or restrictive case panels. AF-fans are designed to move lots of air, unrestricted, like in open environments with nothing restrictive behind or in front of the fan. Even with a case fan-grill the airflow is severely affected with an AF-fan. If it gets restricted the fan spins but push little to no air at all compared to a SP-fan.

Compare the constructions of the fan blades on AF and SP fans and you will see a clear differens in design. AF and SP have different designs and is for different applications.

Front may be a bit restricted when it comes to airflow so I would try that.

Corsair ML series is good for both pressure and airflow though.

42 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

For your use-case you need SP-fans - Static Pressure fans and not AF-fans - Airflow fans.

SP fans are designed to keep upp the airflow going in restricted applications, like disk bays, CPU-Coolers or restrictive case panels. AF-fans are designed to move lots of air, unrestricted, like in open environments with nothing restrictive behind or in front of the fan. Even with a case fan-grill the airflow is severely affected with an AF-fan. If it gets restricted the fan spins but push little to no air at all compared to a SP-fan.

Compare the constructions of the fan blades on AF and SP fans and you will see a clear differens in design. AF and SP have different designs and is for different applications.

I can give  Static Pressure fans a try do you have any suggestions on what to look for? Does CFM really matter.

I wonder if i should get a fan controller or just let the MB control the fans.

I use iPPC 3K as case fans.. they are quite intense. With fans like that you don’t have to worry about SP or AF, they literally blow the other fans away.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

On 12/18/2021 at 11:34 AM, Tazz 316 said:

I can give  Static Pressure fans a try do you have any suggestions on what to look for? Does CFM really matter.

I wonder if i should get a fan controller or just let the MB control the fans.

Motherboard fan control is generally better. 

CFM matters but the effective CFM matters more than the spec for unrestricted airflow which is what's listed for fans. What drives are you cooling?

What fans are you using and why don't they last long? Are you running them at 100% rpm?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 12/19/2021 at 8:31 AM, freeagent said:

I use iPPC 3K as case fans.. they are quite intense. With fans like that you don’t have to worry about SP or AF, they literally blow the other fans away.

Not as intense as bgears they have over 300CFM  at 5200 rpm must sound like jets. lol

On 12/20/2021 at 12:52 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Motherboard fan control is generally better. 

CFM matters but the effective CFM matters more than the spec for unrestricted airflow which is what's listed for fans. What drives are you cooling?

What fans are you using and why don't they last long? Are you running them at 100% rpm?

I'm using bgears fan rated at 103CFM and run them at 100% Hard drivers are seagate iron wolfs.

MB does not watch HDD temps.

17 minutes ago, Tazz 316 said:

I'm using bgears fan rated at 103CFM and run them at 100% Hard drivers are seagate iron wolfs.

MB does not watch HDD temps.

HDD temps are usually available through monitoring software like HWinfo. 

You can probably lower fan speeds. Check temps and see what the max is. Ironwolfs shouldn't be that hard to cool and specs list operating temperature between 0 - 65c.

If you just need long lasting fans for longevity, populating the front with fans like Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 or NF-F12 iPPC-2000 should be plenty for cooling and peace of mind. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

20 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

HDD temps are usually available through monitoring software like HWinfo. 

You can probably lower fan speeds. Check temps and see what the max is. Ironwolfs shouldn't be that hard to cool and specs list operating temperature between 0 - 65c.

If you just need long lasting fans for longevity, populating the front with fans like Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 or NF-F12 iPPC-2000 should be plenty for cooling and peace of mind. 

This is in unraid so HWinfo is not going to work.

What is the difference in the Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 or NF-F12 iPPC-2000

This is in unraid so HWinfo is not going to work.

What is the difference in the Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 or NF-F12 iPPC-2000

NF-A14's are 140mm fans and NF-F12's are 120mm. 

3x NF-A14 should be cheaper and quieter while 4x NF-F12 may cool a bit better. 

I changed out to a different case with better air flow and i am using the same fans now my temps are 82F on the 10TB drives and 75F on the 4TB drives.

This new/old case has a HDD rack in front of the fans there is about 2-3 inches of space between the hard drives and the fans. When i think of Static Pressure fans i think of radiator fans so would this still apply? I did buy Noctua fans but have not installed them as of yet. I would be very surprised if it made any difference.

The larger TB drives seem to run hotter. Room temp is 70F but that will go up obviously.

I think the max operating temperature for seagate ironwolfs is 70C =158F

8 hours ago, Tazz 316 said:

I changed out to a different case with better air flow and i am using the same fans now my temps are 82F on the 10TB drives and 75F on the 4TB drives.

This new/old case has a HDD rack in front of the fans there is about 2-3 inches of space between the hard drives and the fans. When i think of Static Pressure fans i think of radiator fans so would this still apply? I did buy Noctua fans but have not installed them as of yet. I would be very surprised if it made any difference.

The larger TB drives seem to run hotter. Room temp is 70F but that will go up obviously.

I think the max operating temperature for seagate ironwolfs is 70C =158F

think of it as each fin on a cpu cooler is a hdd and how the air gets pushed between it.  the smaller the gap the harder it is to push and you loss air and bonuses out.

having things away from the fan will make it quieter ied say up to an inch at 100% but depends on fan. its like taking a fan and putting it flat on the table it will make noise and lift it tell the noise reduces

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links