Hello LTT forum, this is my first time posting here and from a quick look around, it doesn't seem like anyone's discussing this but I want to have a home theater in my house and am wondering what the best move would be for display?
My budget isn't massive, probably around the margin of $700~1500 USD for just this, and the room is about the size of a small classroom or a decent master bathroom. I don't have exact measurements, but if completely necessary, I will gather them. I want the display to go on a wall on the shorter end, so I can have 2 rows of couches in front of it and leave room behind them for other things. I am also willing to buy a corresponding screen for a projector if it also fits in the budget. I am hoping for decent quality 4k video at around 75-90 inches, or whatever larger size that may be better.

While my main question is whether a projector or TV will fit my needs better, recommendations for each would also be helpful. And even a nice sound system for the room (~500$ budget idk) could be very helpful. I am also all for good brand consistency, like LG tv and LG speakers, but it's not necessary.

How much light does the room have?

Generally a TV will look better than a projector. Much higher contrast(esp if not perfectly light controlled), much better black levels, brighter screen, sharper image, no fans, no bulbs(and generally lower failure rate/parts to swap).

Id only go projector if you can get a much bigger display this way(like 130 vs 70 in) and have a light controlled room. Also make sure to get a good screen. If your about the same size for tv vs projector, Id go TV

It's in our basement, so it has one small window, and that can easily be covered.

-That budget is pushing it for a good projector setup--especially once you factor in screen, sound, and plumbing

-75" can be had with a panel tv for far less

-Dimensions do matter, as does the distance you will be from the screen

In a light controlled environment, a long throw projector will be a superior option to a UST projector.  It will also require more in the way of setup (ceiling mount, plumbing for cabling, etc).  Long throw screens (especially ALR ones) are going to be significantly cheaper than UST screens.  You'll also want a self-tensioned screen and not just some pull down or glorified bedsheet.

The prices in the projector market appear to be "all over the place" to the untrained eye; however, once you start narrowing down by features, this clears up very quick.  Sure, you can get a bulb-type 720p or 1080p projector for $500 or so.  But when you start looking at laser light, number of color-specific lasers, .43 vs .66 vs. true 2160p sensors, ANSI lumens, etc.

Sure, you can save some money by going with projector paint, but it won't ever be as good as a quality screen (though much better than a blank wall or a bedsheet).  I would avoid ATMOS and just go for a cheap 5.1 setup--as this is far cheaper--and you are budget constrained.  I'd also look at a used projector, as this is likely to save you considerable money, and if you've never had a projector setup before--it might be a good way to "Test" the waters to see how you like it and what your preferences are.

Alternately, I can suggest trying for a portable setup.  I have an AAXA M7 (1080p), a foldable 100" screen, a BT speaker (hooked to PC, not projector), a PC with an HDMI connection, and a cheap tripod to hold the projector.  Minus the PC, this is a setup that you can easily swing for well under $1000 total.

An Optoma UHZ50 is a great projector (as are many others), but you're in the price range where you will have to compromise on some features and/or quality to get it in on budget--a $2700 projector doesn't fall within that.  $700-1500 is already in the ballpark of a quality 75" TV--and increasing display size will always carry a premium (even if it's just the cost of a bigger projector screen).  Which is why I suggest just determining if a 75" will suffice for what you want.  The price jump from a 75" panel to an 80" is considerable, and 80" is about minimum size for any projector setup.  And that projector setup is also going to carry a considerable price jump--though the difference between an 80" and a 120" setup is fairly small--assuming you already purchased the projector.

For a very bright room QLED is great. 

For a dark room, OLED is absolutely stunning.

For a huge screen in a dark room, a projector is cool.

I would personally suggest a 65" LG OLED at that budget. Yes, it'll be smaller, but it'll look so much better and you can always bring the seating closer. 

For audio, find a used "ARC" or "eARC" compatible receiver, grab a half decent set of proper speakers, and a subwoofer. You'll have a proper 2.1 setup that'll beat any similarly priced soundbar system. Plus, it will hold its value should you want to upgrade later. 

To be fair, you don't need a dark room for a projector.  But that's again where budget constraints come into play.