The perfect display for Xbox Series X & Macbook

Mofu

Hi all!

I am looking for the perfect solution to my work & gaming life.

I want a monitor that will output 4k at 120 or 144hz and preferably can carry power over USB C/Thunderbolt so that I can plug in my Macbook with just 1 cable.

And at the same time, be able to play games on my Xbox Series X. 

Only other requirements is that is support the VESA mount and is NOT curved.

What do you think? Is that possible? Budget is less os a problem for the right solution.

Thanks to anyone that can help just a tiny bit. 🙏

27 minutes ago, Mofu said:

Hi all!

I am looking for the perfect solution to my work & gaming life.

I want a monitor that will output 4k at 120 or 144hz and preferably can carry power over USB C/Thunderbolt so that I can plug in my Macbook with just 1 cable.

And at the same time, be able to play games on my Xbox Series X. 

Only other requirements is that is support the VESA mount and is NOT curved.

What do you think? Is that possible? Budget is less os a problem for the right solution.

Thanks to anyone that can help just a tiny bit. 🙏

Not curved is gonna be hard to find especially since you want thunderbolt. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

2 hours ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

Not curved is gonna be hard to find especially since you want thunderbolt. 

Really? I'd give up Thunderbolt if that was necessary. 🙂

So far the top contenders:

The BenQ PD3220U
Only thing here I am unsure about is if it has VESA mount option or not.

LG 32UL950-W

This does only deliver 60w of power over Thunderbolt which is in the low end

The Gigabyte M32U is about as good as it gets for a work/gaming/console hybrid. It doesn't have Thunderbolt, but it comes with a handy KVM switch that allows you to switch your peripherals according to what device you're currently using. Other than that it's a 4K 32" 144Hz IPS monitor that also has great response times and above average color accuracity. If it's too pricy for you, the Gigabyte M28U is another option that is basically the same monitor but smaller.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

13 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

The Gigabyte M32U is about as good as it gets for a work/gaming/console hybrid. It doesn't have Thunderbolt, but it comes with a handy KVM switch that allows you to switch your peripherals according to what device you're currently using. Other than that it's a 4K 32" 144Hz IPS monitor that also has great response times and above average color accuracity. If it's too pricy for you, the Gigabyte M28U is another option that is basically the same monitor but smaller.

Thanks! That seems like a really good choise to be fair. Same resolution, HDR, non curved and with a higher refresh rate than the others.

I may go with that!

13 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Purchased it. Thanks for the help! 🙂

9 hours ago, Mofu said:

Purchased it. Thanks for the help! 🙂

Happy to help!

Just keep your expectations straight: HDR isn't that great on monitors in this price class. It's more of a "supported" thing, not something it's good at. But unless you want to spend additional $2.5K real HDR monitors are out of the picture either way.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I am also considering this monitor but I don’t know how realistic it is to use only one cable. While the M32U does technically deliver power over usb, it only sends 15W. That’s enough to charge it overnight, but it won’t do fast charging and it might not even be enough to keep the battery charged if you’re doing intensive work. The standard charger is 96W for the new MacBook pros.

Can you follow up your post here with your experience using the M32U to power a MacBook over usb?