Windows wont boot up after failed ubuntu installation

rambi36

Hello guys! I am in pretty deep shit right now. I was trying to dual boot windows 8.1 and ubuntu and i accidently clicked on the erase windows and immediatley shut off my computer before it began installing anything. Now whenever i try to boot up my computer, it says Reboot and select proper device. What should i do? I don't want to lose all of my data ;( i was thinking of getting a second hard drive and installing windoww on that via a usb drive.

Life.exe is missing

Hello guys! I am in pretty deep shit right now. I was trying to dual boot windows 8.1 and ubuntu and i accidently clicked on the erase windows and immediatley shut off my computer before it began installing anything. Now whenever i try to boot up my computer, it says Reboot and select proper device. What should i do? I don't want to lose all of my data ;( i was thinking of getting a second hard drive and installing windoww on that via a usb drive.

Your installation is screwed, gone zip. You may be able to get to the data with a linux rescue live cd. 

Your installation is screwed, gone zip. You may be able to get to the data with a linux rescue live cd.

Second thought, i realized i never really had anything important on the hard drive. Just my steam games and a couple of programs.Should i make a bootable usb drive and reinstall windows on the current hard drive?

Life.exe is missing

Second thought, i realized i never really had anything important on the hard drive. Just my steam games and a couple of programs.Should i make a bootable usb drive and reinstall windows on the current hard drive?

I would but some may disagree. To be honest you may be able to set to startup recovery on the windows 8 installer and get everything back if your lucky. 

I would but some may disagree. To be honest you may be able to set to startup recovery on the windows 8 installer and get everything back if your lucky.

Ok il try to do that tommorow when I have the chance. Thanks for the advice! :D

Life.exe is missing

You can try using the windows installation disk and repair your computer with CMD then type "bootrec /rebuildbcd" and "bootrec /fix boot" minus the quotes in CMD and see if that fixes it.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

So i got the flash drive with windows and i attempted to put my windows product key and it didnt accept it :( wat do i do now?

Life.exe is missing

You can try using the windows installation disk and repair your computer with CMD then type "bootrec /rebuildbcd" and "bootrec /fix boot" minus the quotes in CMD and see if that fixes it.

Unfortunately windows does not detect the windows installation anymore ;(

Life.exe is missing

So i got the flash drive with windows and i attempted to put my windows product key and it didnt accept it :( wat do i do now?

Use phone activation to reactivate it (its automated so no need to talk to an agent most of the time). I transfered my Windows 8 from my laptop to my desktop using this method:http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/24636-activate-windows-8-phone.html

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer