Help setting up a website

Hi there, this is my first post here and i was hoping maybe one of you has the time to help me with this.

My mom has recently started to pursue her dream of making art and has actually started to sell some of her paintings through local connections.

She has been talking about wanting a website to have more of an online presence for a while now an I want to make that happen for her. I think it would be a pretty cool Christmas gift.

I am rather tech savvy but not someone who has any experience in this field whatsoever.

What i am looking for is a simple website builder (yes, I know, Squarespace but i just graduated and don't have a lot of money to throw out monthly) and a way to host said website.

I do have an old windows xp prebuild in my addict that still works, maybe I can host the website myself?

I have spent a while trying to find something that fits but maybe some of you have some advice you can give me.

I don't expect much traffic on the site for now so just having a simple online presence that looks professional would be huge.

Also if someone can walk me through the  setup or point me to a good tutorial that does so I would be very thankful.

With no website or server experience, you definitely should not be hosting it yourself on an ancient computer in your house.

The secure, updated and easy to create website will definitely be with a provider that provides a website builder.

Go back and look at squarespace or Wix.

If you want to sell through the website, you are definitely barking up the wrong tree with selfhosting combined with being green to the concept.

You say you want it to be clean and professional - you'll get nothing good for free.

Wix offers some cheaper plans, check it out.

If you're dead set on having your own webserver sucking power 24/7 on hardware that is probably 15+ years old,

https://www.servermania.com/kb/articles/how-to-quickly-setup-your-own-web-server/

11 minutes ago, whispous said:

With no website or server experience, you definitely should not be hosting it yourself on an ancient computer in your house.

The secure, updated and easy to create website will definitely be with a provider that provides a website builder.

Go back and look at squarespace or Wix.

If you want to sell through the website, you are definitely barking up the wrong tree with selfhosting combined with being green to the concept.

You say you want ti to be clean and professional - you'll get nothing good for free.

Wix offers some cheaper plans, check it out

Alright thank you.

I was expecting something along these lines but I just don't have over 100€ to spare for a one year website.

Seems like I'll have to find something else.

8 minutes ago, Dimitri421 said:

Alright thank you.

I was expecting something along these lines but I just don't have over 100€ to spare for a one year website.

Seems like I'll have to find something else.

Wordpress website software is actually free, and relatively easy to use.

Actually hosting it can be somewhat harder, but there are so many tutorials online.
If you are tech savvy like you say, you should be able to have a Wordpress website up and running in a few days.
(Only payed part on Wordpress is the hosting, dont let yourself get duped into paying. 😉 )

https://wordpress.org/download/

Edited by HanZie82
Added Wordpress link

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

40 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Actually hosting it can be somewhat harder, but there are so many tutorials online.

WordPress, powering a huge lot of websites, is a pretty attractive target for attacks though, so beware when installing third-party themes and plug-ins and keep them updated all the time.

Write in C.

22 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

WordPress, powering a huge lot of websites, is a pretty attractive target for attacks though, so beware when installing third-party themes and plug-ins and keep them updated all the time.

Yeah their themes and plugins is what makes it awesome, but also dangerous.

Make sure you get themes and plugins from trusted sources and indeed like @Dat Guy said, keep them updated.

(should all be relatively simple it has a fully controllable GUI.)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!