Do I need to upgrade my PSU for this upgrade?

barullo92

Hi, 

I recently upgraded my pc and I want to know if I REALLY need to upgrade my psu of if its safe (I wont overclock my CPU)

i5 10600k

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Gigabyte GA-B460M AORUS ELITE

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

2 Hard Drives

1 Kingston m.2

Zotac Geforce RTX 3060 Twin Edge

EVGA BR 600W 80+ Bronze Certified PSU

People on Toms Hardware recommended a Seasonic Platinum PSU and I dont know if its really necessary or outright overkill, I used a 1070 since 2018 with that power supply and never had any issues

BR is a fairly low end unit. I'd replace it if I were you. 

A650GF from MSI is a nice option. (90 USD)

CX 650 for a more budget oriented solution (grey label) (35 USD) 
AGF 650 CX 650

5 minutes ago, iMxmo said:

AGF 650 CX 650

I agree with the MSI, one of the best PSUs on the market right now. I currently use that model too, made for 3000 series.

The Corsair CX I disagree with. It's not an upgrade much and some might even say it's a downgrade.

A great budget PSU, but still with 80 Plus Gold rating is the Corsair TX550M/TX650M. Semi modular, but is as good as higher end models like Corsair RM.

is good enough for that spec, i would try running it. If you have problems then you get a new one.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

48 minutes ago, FRD said:

I agree with the MSI, one of the best PSUs on the market right now. I currently use that model too, made for 3000 series.

The Corsair CX I disagree with. It's not an upgrade much and some might even say it's a downgrade.

A great budget PSU, but still with 80 Plus Gold rating is the Corsair TX550M/TX650M. Semi modular, but is as good as higher end models like Corsair RM.

How is CX 2017 a downgrade from BR? CX is LLC Resonant and DC-DC with full protections intact. EVGA BR is double forward unit + sleeve bearing

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

is good enough for that spec, i would try running it. If you have problems then you get a new one.

Thats the thing Im concerned about, what kind of problems are we talking about? 

28 minutes ago, iMxmo said:

AGF 650 CX 650

These are all good units to get. I'd cough up the money for the MSI since this is pretty high end build.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

37 minutes ago, barullo92 said:

Thats the thing Im concerned about, what kind of problems are we talking about? 

Lower end units such as the EVGA BR can impose some problems with Ampere/RDNA2 or really any high transient card.
You could run into: Random shut-offs, unable to BOOT, just an unstable experience in general. In some cases it can lead to component damage. 

57 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

These are all good units to get. I'd cough up the money for the MSI since this is pretty high end build.

Ive never used an MSI PSU so Ill check some reviews

15 minutes ago, barullo92 said:

Ive never used an MSI PSU so Ill check some reviews

A650GF is a Rev D.F. just without the fancy Twister + Dustless reverse rotation. LLC Res DC - DC, full protections included.

Its a decent unit all in all. 

2 hours ago, barullo92 said:

People on Toms Hardware recommended a Seasonic Platinum PSU and I dont know if its really necessary or outright overkill, I used a 1070 since 2018 with that power supply and never had any issues

BR is a pretty low end unit.  But those telling you that you need a Seasonic Platinum might be getting kick backs from Seasonic or something because that seems like a pretty extreme and narrow minded suggestion to make.