Best Router for Oculus Air Link

Hi Everyone,

Wanting to get some advice for a router specifically for Oculus Air Link.

I currently have a nighthawk X6S AC4000 router, but it's in the room next to my PC, and can't be moved. Latency and general stability of oculus air link is a bit rubbish.

Was looking at maybe getting a dedicated router and use it as a Wi-Fi 6 AP.

Unsure whether anyone's had experience of this setup, and/or can recommend a good router for it.

Looking at the TP-LINK AX1500, seems to be one of the cheapest WiFi 6 capable ones.

Thanks!

23 hours ago, JTPOTATO said:

Was looking at maybe getting a dedicated router and use it as a Wi-Fi 6 AP.

Setting up a dedicated AP for this purpose is no different than setting it up otherwise. You'll need a wired/ethernet uplink to the primary router in the other room.

I've seen Oculus recommend a wired connection for the PC and a good LoS wireless connection for the headset on WiFi 5 or 6. So if you convert a WiFi 6 router, you'll get both an AP and the ability to directly plug the PC into the AP for improved latency.

The AX1500 isn't anything fancy, but running it in AP mode for your purposes should be sufficient. I'd suggest you give it a static LAN IP within the same subnet as the primary network but outside of the DHCP pool, so as to avoid downtime on the AP when IP leases renew/expire.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:51 AM, Falcon1986 said:

Setting up a dedicated AP for this purpose is no different than setting it up otherwise. You'll need a wired/ethernet uplink to the primary router in the other room.

I've seen Oculus recommend a wired connection for the PC and a good LoS wireless connection for the headset on WiFi 5 or 6. So if you convert a WiFi 6 router, you'll get both an AP and the ability to directly plug the PC into the AP for improved latency.

The AX1500 isn't anything fancy, but running it in AP mode for your purposes should be sufficient. I'd suggest you give it a static LAN IP within the same subnet as the primary network but outside of the DHCP pool, so as to avoid downtime on the AP when IP leases renew/expire.

Thanks for this,

I think the main thing is just seeing whether:

1. A dedicated ap right next to us was going to be better

2. If you had experience, which router you’d recommend - happy to pay extra if it’s noticeably better.

I’ll give it a go and will report back.