PC not starting after GPU undervolt, even with GPU removed.

randomGuy512
Go to solution Solved by The King of the Undead,
48 minutes ago, randomGuy512 said:

ok so i got a toothbrush and a lens blower to slot 1 and now it boots with 8GB of ram.  now let's see if my gpu works 🙂

sound like you knocked something into the ram and it caused a connection issue. you should go buy a lottery ticket normally when that happens ram slot or ram stick dies.

Hello anybody, 

I have an i3-4150 on a lenovo motherboard with an RX-580.  I was undervolting the GPU yesterday, which worked great, but I didn't set it to load on startup anyway. 

This morning I started the pc and it didn't output to the display.  I then removed the GPU and used intel's integrated GPU.  It booted fine first time for me to DDU the AMD driver, but the card still didn't work on reboot, and now it doesn't work on the internal GPU either. 

I was also able to run windows memory diagnostics at one point and it said "hardware problems detected, to identify and repair these problems contact the computer manufacturer" or something like that.  

I have two 4GB RAM sticks, a generic one that came with the pc and a Samsung one that I added, and I have tried removing each of these in turn, which did no good.  

are the fans coming on? is the power supply putting power on both 12 volt and 5 volt?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

yes the fans do turn on, and the volume lights come up on my keyboard, however the rgb does not 🤷‍♂️

also the HDD light (well, actually, SSD light) is regularly blinking for a tiny fraction of a second about three times per second

I just tried a clear CMOS - that fixed an issue I had a while ago - but it behaves exactly the same with the jumper on either side, and it doesn't beep at all (which this motherboard is meant to when clearing the CMOS)

do you have a spare power supply or a multimeter?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

10 minutes ago, rendomGuy said:

I just tried a clear CMOS - that fixed an issue I had a while ago - but it behaves exactly the same with the jumper on either side, and it doesn't beep at all (which this motherboard is meant to when clearing the CMOS)

also you are supposed to quote people that aren't OP when responding so they get a notification when you answer there questions or respond to them.

ok so if I remove the SSDs (I have three, all SATA) then the hhd light doesn't blink

1 hour ago, The King of the Undead said:

do you have a spare power supply or a multimeter?

yes, i actually have both, it's a good PSU though so I don't want to risk damaging it if this computer is messed up

3 minutes ago, rendomGuy said:

ok so if I remove the SSDs (I have three, all SATA) then the hhd light doesn't blink

is your monitor working?

Just now, rendomGuy said:

yes, i actually have both, it's a good PSU though so I don't want to risk damaging it if this computer is messed up

I don't think that should be an issue but you can look up pinouts for psu connectors and make sure that it's providing power to all the voltages.

is your monitor working?

yes, it starts up and shows it's "self check" rgb thing that slides around the screen

I don't think that should be an issue but you can look up pinouts for psu connectors and make sure that it's providing power to all the voltages.

ok, i'll check that

ok it's slightly over but they are both there, 5.08v and 12.13v

1 minute ago, randomGuy512 said:

ok it's slightly over but they are both there, 5.08v and 12.13v

how far does it get? can you get to bios or does it just completely fail?

i couldn't even see the bios.  I had tried both ram sticks in slot 1, but just now I tried using only slot 2 and i think it might work. 

ok so i got a toothbrush and a lens blower to slot 1 and now it boots with 8GB of ram.  now let's see if my gpu works 🙂

48 minutes ago, randomGuy512 said:

sound like you knocked something into the ram and it caused a connection issue. you should go buy a lottery ticket normally when that happens ram slot or ram stick dies.

28 minutes ago, The King of the Undead said:

Well it's all working now and I got the GPU running again, it must have been something insulating that blocked one of the pins because if it was shorting anything then it definitely should be dead.