MSI Suprim 3080 - 3rd fan started to spin full speed

MardyMarvin
Go to solution Solved by Bartholomew,

Usually 3 fan cards are split in 2 groups, 1st two over vrm/gpu/ram, second "group" aka 3rd fan on the "extra" fins part of heatsink that have few hot components beneath them. (Although this will varh between cards).

Im crossing fingers and hope you can resolve it with a nudge on a connector or just wiggling the wires a bit in case one has a small break inside. One can always hope 🙂

I have had the 3080 card now for a few months with no issues. Then today for some reason the 3rd fan is just spinning constantly at full speed. I have not updated the drivers and the little switch on the card has not been changed from silent. I have installed the msi software to see if there were any BIOS updates for it or anything but I was wondering if any one else has had this issue and if the card could be faulty (I HOPE NOT)

The idle temp on the card is about 50 degrees and has not changed so I am at a loss as to why it would start doing this. I also have found that you dont seem to be able to control the fan using software either using after burner or the msi software.

Sounds like the tachmeter in the fan is broken or that fans tach wire is faulty or one of the end has a bad connection.

Card cant read the rpm then and its bios will default to max cooling.

O darn the last thing I want to do it send it away, I will take it out and check the cables are all seated on the card as I dont think the fan cables are under any screwable bit

Thanks Bartholomew I did not even think the fans would have anything like that in them but then again how else would they read the speed DOH, everyday is a school day for learning.

Usually 3 fan cards are split in 2 groups, 1st two over vrm/gpu/ram, second "group" aka 3rd fan on the "extra" fins part of heatsink that have few hot components beneath them. (Although this will varh between cards).

Im crossing fingers and hope you can resolve it with a nudge on a connector or just wiggling the wires a bit in case one has a small break inside. One can always hope 🙂

Hello Bartholomew,

I just wanted to follow up and say your advise was spot on. I looked at the card and there were two headers for the fans. I then noticed that one of the cables the blue wire had come loose from the connector. So put that back into the connector and now the fans are operating as intended. So this is great as I dont have to send it back now and all these years with linus and others saying get an ifix it kit payed off with the nice tweasers in there.

So again and thanks for the adivce Bartholomew.

21 hours ago, MardyMarvin said:

Hello Bartholomew,

I just wanted to follow up and say your advise was spot on. I looked at the card and there were two headers for the fans. I then noticed that one of the cables the blue wire had come loose from the connector. So put that back into the connector and now the fans are operating as intended. So this is great as I dont have to send it back now and all these years with linus and others saying get an ifix it kit payed off with the nice tweasers in there.

So again and thanks for the adivce Bartholomew.

Thats great! 

Thanks for reporting back 🙂

enjoy your rivived card!