Do wireless gaming mouse break often?

e22big

Not sure if I've asked this before, forgive me if it's a repeat. 

I have been using quite a few of Logitech G wireless mice these past few years, every single one of them have to be RMA for either double click or holding click or some other issue within months of using. I do use my mouse quite a lot, typically over 18 hours a day but still. My plan rightn now is to just some extra mouse so that I will still have something to use while either one of them were RMA but is this common across all the brands? I considered buying something else that isn't Logitech but from what I heard, it's just an issue every modern wireless mouse has. 

What is your experience with mouse from other brands like Razor, Asus, Steel Series etc? (wireless only, I am not consider buying any wired mice atm)

The older GPW had a plethora of switch issues

This has since been resolved

For other wireless options in the same bracket you have the viper ultimate and Model O wireless

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Hello, 

Heres my small input 🙂

1) Steel series, had 2 years ago, both got double click after only month-two usage, so I never came back to them and probably never will.

2) Razer - used, something thats not on their site already so maybe they updated it. But was using their mouse for over 3 years, (it is was wired, but still some info), no problems at all, like zero. after 2 years side rubber pad started to fell off, I could reglue it but just ripped it off and used without it just fine. Other than that no double clicks no sensor issues nothing.

3)Used g502 wired for over a year and already side rubber pad got not ripped but got a hole down to the plastic part through it where my thumb are placed. So rubber pads sucks xD Other than that, littlebit bulky for my liking (heavy even without weights) so hands hurt a little after long gaming sessions.

4) now using pro superlight wireless, weights nothingness, built well, feels great, only used for around two months so cant speak about double clicks, but so far so good.

I have only used Razer mice in the last few years (because the deathadder mice are just the most comfortable for me I've used so far).

The only issues I have ever had with them, was the scroll wheel going weird, and a rubber pad on the side getting loose. I never had button issues. Those issues took about  2 1/2 years of use, so I'm guessing you must just be really unlucky.

I think wireless mice should actually last longer, because you don't have a cable that could break (cables in mice are usually pretty good so that shouldn't be an issue for most). Other than that it's about the same.

As for your issue, this was an issue with a lot of Logitech mice. Some also had scroll wheel problems. Also happened with G703, G502, G403 and probably other models. This has been fixed afaik.

24 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

I think wireless mice should actually last longer, because you don't have a cable that could break (cables in mice are usually pretty good so that shouldn't be an issue for most). Other than that it's about the same.

As for your issue, this was an issue with a lot of Logitech mice. Some also had scroll wheel problems. Also happened with G703, G502, G403 and probably other models. This has been fixed afaik.

You're forgetting the battery may give out before a cable would have broken.

Actually the problem I usually have is the pads on the bottom wear down long before the rest of the mouse has any issues.  They're quite big on my MX Master 3 so I'm expecting the battery to be the issue, hopefully easy to replace.  (though probably not, looks like one of the screws is under a pad, annoying design)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

9 hours ago, Pixelfie said:

Wireless mice are actually known for developing double click issue very quickly, especially the double click and other stuffs, which is why I only asked for their input. Wired mice, from what I known can easily last 2-3 years but wireless, at least from my experiences, would be lucky to even made it to the first year, 

If Razor wireless can at least last through its warranty period, I might be willign to give it a chance

Any mouse using Omron switches, wireless or wired... Which is almost all gaming mice except for the ones with optical switches... Are equally susceptible in theory to double clicking and similar issues.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I've only used one wireless mouse, Razer Naga Pro. I've had it for over a year now with no issues. It has optical switches so it shouldn't get the double click issue.

6 hours ago, Middcore said:

Any mouse using Omron switches, wireless or wired... Which is almost all gaming mice except for the ones with optical switches... Are equally susceptible in theory to double clicking and similar issues.

Guess I will be breaking out my trusty cheap soldering iron soon?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

18 hours ago, Inelastic said:

I've only used one wireless mouse, Razer Naga Pro. I've had it for over a year now with no issues. It has optical switches so it shouldn't get the double click issue.

well, given that you're the second person who mentioned that maybe it's somethign worth considering, from my experience Razor mice also break fairly often but it's true that it tend not to because of the double click issue

You can replace the micro switches if you're okay at soldering. 

Otherwise you should look for a .ouse with optical switches and no rubber grips with mass produced replaceable feet for when they break imo

Heavy mouse use for 18 hours a day? Seems insane to do that but I recommend wrist rests and a good ergonomic chair and possibly a motorized desk for your needs. As someone who has 2 herniated discs, and 2 bulging discs and shoulder problems I can tell you even if you're healthy now, that much use needs perfect posture with little future damage. Also might wanna look into a program to do reading lights mode to yellow the image or some gunnar optics if your monitor had any eye strain. 

Best of luck!

8 hours ago, CptnReflex said:

You can replace the micro switches if you're okay at soldering. 

Otherwise you should look for a .ouse with optical switches and no rubber grips with mass produced replaceable feet for when they break imo

Heavy mouse use for 18 hours a day? Seems insane to do that but I recommend wrist rests and a good ergonomic chair and possibly a motorized desk for your needs. As someone who has 2 herniated discs, and 2 bulging discs and shoulder problems I can tell you even if you're healthy now, that much use needs perfect posture with little future damage. Also might wanna look into a program to do reading lights mode to yellow the image or some gunnar optics if your monitor had any eye strain. 

Best of luck!

Thanks, and yeah I took my ergonomic pretty seriously because I am glue to the computer almost my entire waking hours (is it that crazy though? I work 8 hours on a desk and then browing computer or play game for around 4 hours at night before went to bed)

But anyway,  I think if the mouse don't break too often I could probably pay some shop to solder a new switch for me but when it can break in a matter of months I don't think it will be worth it to keep repairing even if I am willing to do the soldering myself. Fixing after a year or two is fine, but doing several times a year is not something I am willing.

1 hour ago, e22big said:

Thanks, and yeah I took my ergonomic pretty seriously because I am glue to the computer almost my entire waking hours (is it that crazy though? I work 8 hours on a desk and then browing computer or play game for around 4 hours at night before went to bed)

But anyway,  I think if the mouse don't break too often I could probably pay some shop to solder a new switch for me but when it can break in a matter of months I don't think it will be worth it to keep repairing even if I am willing to do the soldering myself. Fixing after a year or two is fine, but doing several times a year is not something I am willing.

A good microswitch has an operation life of 50 million clicks though 

But you bring up good points 

My logitech G502 Lightspeed is going strong after over a full year now.

My old logitech hero that i used for a couple years is flawless but sitting in a drawer.

Razer will last you about 3 months before you experience major hardware issues, source: the 6 razer mice I once owned and 2 keyboards and 4 headsets which are all gone now.

Mouse buttons failing aren't a problem "wireless mice" have, its a problem all mice have, most wireless mice are going to end up using identical switches and hardware that any wired mouse would use.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

11 hours ago, Daethz said:

My logitech G502 Lightspeed is going strong after over a full year now.

My old logitech hero that i used for a couple years is flawless but sitting in a drawer.

Razer will last you about 3 months before you experience major hardware issues, source: the 6 razer mice I once owned and 2 keyboards and 4 headsets which are all gone now.

Mouse buttons failing aren't a problem "wireless mice" have, its a problem all mice have, most wireless mice are going to end up using identical switches and hardware that any wired mouse would use.

I am on my 4th G903 at this point and that's just the first year. I have G603 before that and it has the same issue too, I have a spare G305 which still don't develop an issue yet but after going through their so many defected mice, I don't have a lot of faith in their brand anymore. The only reason I am still keep usign them is because I like their keyboard and I need the mouse and keyboard to work together.