Nvidia just launched a 3 year old GPU

14 hours ago, GabenJr said:

The GPU shortage has hit gamers hard, but Nvidia has an unorthodox solution: Re-release old GPUs. It’s SO crazy that it might actually work… MIGHT.

MSRP price is still going to be a problem.

The 20 series was the series that screwed with MSRP.

The original 2060 had a MSRP of $350, dropping to $300 a year later.

All previous generations had the x60 cards release at $200-$250.

So this >> OLD << previous gen card NEEDS to release at the very most at $200 to be respectable to the consumer. Which is unlikely.

Option1:

This card will be priced below the 3060 which currently stands at $330 MSRP so they dont cannibalize their 3060 sales, but it wont be by much. maybe around $280.

Option 2:

Now this could be different depending on when they release it vs the 3050 and how the 3050 performs. x50 cards historically have been $100-$150 cards however with the price tier hike in 2018 (20 series) i wouldn't be surprised to see the 3050 MSRP set at ~$200 - $250. Which would mean it would have to be worse than the new old 2060 if said 2060 is priced at around $280.

There is a possibility once both cards are out, the new old 2060 could be set around $150-$200, and the 3050 set at $200-$300 as i would expect the 3050 to out perform the 2060.

The previous post mentions the retail cost of a 2060 Plus 12GB being $680 ..with current retail prices of low end cards being roughly 2x their MSRP, this would put the new old 2060 MSRP around $300 once u remove rebate and margin. Which makes one think that the 3050 is either going to be worse performance wise or is going to release quite a while after the 12gb 2060, thus allowing Nvidia to keep the price high.

meh.. what fked up times we live in.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

What I'm afraid the most is that this current price madness will remain the norm forever. We'll have garbage low to mid end graphic cards for 500-600€ now. High end models permanently moving to 1000-1200€ realm and enthusiast for 1500-2000€. Even if things drop a bit, everyone from NVIDIA to board partners will try to push this higher pricing stuff because it means they'll stuff their socks more and we'll just have to take it. What are you, just not going to play games anymore? Seeing how everyone buys everything for whatever price at the moment, this is signaling to those companies they can just leave the jacked up prices and everything will be fine. Has anyone ever seen prices crawl back down? Of course not. And I think we're at tipping point of gaming becoming garbage hobby with constant shortages because of miners and scalpers and obscenely expensive components till end of our lives. That's what I'm most afraid it'll happen.

16 hours ago, adarw said:

yay more scalping opportunities!

- a scalper

They can't buy them all.  At some point the prices have to pop and drop back down to sane levels.  Not to mention the 2060's can be made at a faster rate because the manufacturing process has been pretty well vetted at this point.

"There is probably a special circle of Hell reserved for people who force software into a role it was never designed for."
- Radium_Angel

I'm surprised they didn't use the 2060 KO as an example instead of the 7900.

Never heard of it before! But I know the 2060 KO story. Wasn't really a new SKU but it was a limited run and different than any other 2060. Like it used a different GPU core, that's how different they were.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 hours ago, Bigun said:

They can't buy them all.  At some point the prices have to pop and drop back down to sane levels.  Not to mention the 2060's can be made at a faster rate because the manufacturing process has been pretty well vetted at this point.

Yes they can, the demand from miners is just there. For comparison on the past mining boom, the GPU shipments were 15-16 million for those 3 quarters. they've been a steady 11.5 million since this boom started, and have only gone up to 12.7 million in the last quarter. And bitcoin and eth have been triple in price for most of this boom compared to 2017-2018. And prices were not coming down at all when it was 15-16 million shipments in 2017-2018. They kept similarly steady as now.

AMD and Nvidia have been heavily burned three times in the past booms 2011, 2013 and 2017, they are not gonna risk everything to up production rates drastically again, as is obvious in the graph. They're gonna take it relative slow and steady (though for the whole past year it's a question if they even could). 

spacer.png

Rough math would be, lets say 25% more shipment, or a bit less than 2017, and we could see all 2060 cards starting up from ~$650 instead of $700 now, and lets say 50%, maybe it goes down to ~$600, but nobody knows how much exactly. Every card which can do 30 MH/s on ETH and similar for ~80-130w is gonna cost the same, and they're gonna start from the same price. and that's every Nvidia card 2060 and up and every AMD card 5600/6600 and up (and most weaker ones as well). Price of a card is determined by it's memory and memory alone, nothing else matters, and memory is good enough on 95% of the cards.

Heck even 4GB is still useful, it's not dead, it's just half as effective and slowly dying, cause miners figured a way to go around the size restriction with a "zombie" mode. So now instead of a hard cut-off, 4GB cards gradually get worse, and they've only just passed the mark where they are half as effective as their 8GB counterparts not a month ago, so they're still viable.

It will take ETH PoS + no other coin rising up to take the mantle for a few weeks/months, and/or a complete market drop like before.

Parallel to this, and if no other coin that's mineable like ETH starts rising in the next ~9 months, <4GB cards should stop being worth it for mining in 4-7 months roughly. Unfortunately at this rate a Q1, and even a part of Q2 launch of 4GB cards from either Nvidia/AMD/Intel will still be interesting to miners (they won't be drastically expensive/out of stock, but neither will they be fully ignored by miners, so it'll be something in between, like 50% markup maybe and availability that's right in between, depending on the supply, and how efficient they are compared to 570/580).

A new LHR cat and mouse game would help a launch, for a few weeks/months anyway.

11 hours ago, SolarNova said:

The previous post mentions the retail cost of a 2060 Plus 12GB being $680 ..with current retail prices of low end cards being roughly 2x their MSRP, this would put the new old 2060 MSRP around $300 once u remove rebate and margin. Which makes one think that the 3050 is either going to be worse performance wise or is going to release quite a while after the 12gb 2060, thus allowing Nvidia to keep the price high.

meh.. what fked up times we live in.

Price hiking up due to it's ability to mine ETH and other cryptocurrency.

Currently in my market, 1660 Super price is higher than 2060 due to its higher hashrate on ETHash. (34-36mh/s with some bios mod or proper config idk).

3060 is around $800-900 depend on model, and 3060ti started at $900 and usually around $1000-1050 for high end SKU like ROG Strix, Aorus, Gaming X. 

Cost price is way lower (around 20-30% lower) but the bundling that distributor made is the reason GPU pricing on retail market is so high. The bundling is ridiculous. I will listed some here for you guys to understand how ridiculous it is.

- GPU bundled with boards. B560/Z590/Z690 board depends on how high GPU was. (1650 + B560, 2060 + double the amount of B560, 3000 series + Z590/Z690 board)

- GPU bundled with PSU. Ratio usually 1 to 5.

- GPU bundled with PCIe riser, NVMe SSD external closure, chassis fan (really expensive one)

- GPU bundled with RAM. Ratio usually 1 to 30-50. 

- GPU bundled with SSD. Ratio usually 1 to 30-50. 

Boards, PSU, RAM, SSD are usually sell at cost price or a loss. 

Apparently, GPU was sold out even it still on a shipment from Taiwan or Hong Kong.

I double checked for any exact new news how long it will take for 4GB to not be worth in zombie mode, and I overestimated it a by a few weeks xD. It should be march 8th for 22% efficiency on Linux for ETH. Barring any halo alt coins which is less likely before PoS, and this fits snuggly before earliest possible ETH PoS, so while I've pegged the time range for when used 4GB should keep value (Most miners aren't gonna sell them right away), It is actually possible end of Q1, start of Q2 fresh 4GB cards to not be too interesting (all other factors considered). 

All in all, when u factor possible dual mining, not great, not terrible xD

https://blog.coincodecap.com/4gb-mining-rigs