i have no clue what os to get so help-

zachthetree

its pretty self explanatory on what my question is here, but can i get some help on picking an OS please?

ive never built a pc before or ran enough of different OS's in my life to pick one.

I mean is there an application that only runs on windows? Get windows 10.

If not idk go have fun with whatever.

If you are comfey with linux and all your games/programs work on linux why not

if you are new to pcs/and or dont use linux just use windows.

specs?

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

There is always Ubuntu, seems to work 90% of everything but it depends on what you wanna do with your machine 

Windows is recommended for inexperienced users who want to game and do basic general tasks. Linux is a bit more advanced and takes a lot more learning.

Windows 10 is tried and true, but windows 11 doesn't seem very different. I would say pick one if you understand it better (and I'll go out on a limb and guess that you have probably used windows 10 a bit more than brand new windows 11)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Completely depends on what you need it for.  If you are going to game, do windows.  If you are going to use any mainstream software at any point ever, do windows or mac.  If you are unsure you should be considering Linux, then you shouldn't be considering it at all.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

-> Moved to Operating Systems

Please only post once. If you are unsure where to post, report your own thread and moderation will move it to correct subforum

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, zachthetree said:

its pretty self explanatory on what my question is here, but can i get some help on picking an OS please?

ive never built a pc before or ran enough of different OS's in my life to pick one.

Well there's quite a few to chose from. The main 3 are Windows, MacOS and GNU/Linux. But there's other operating systems like FreeBSD, OpenBSD and react OS.

Now if you just need basic things like word processing and web browsing, generally any os will do.

If you plan on building your own PC you should generally consider two operating systems: Windows or GNU/Linux. Yes the different BSD systems are options too but they have fairly limited hardware compatibility and they're not the easiest to install. And anything else probably isn't ready for being your primary OS.

If you have specific use cases like gaming, Windows is your main option. But if you don't play games reliant on anti cheat software GNU/Linux is actually a viable alternative. That is as long as you stick to steam. Anything outside of steam is doable but requires more tinkering. Lutris will help you with that.

For creative tasks like photo or video editing, Windows is your only real option. Yes GNU/Linux has programs for such tasks but if it's for professional purposes I would use Windows. Or MacOS but you'd have to get a Mac.

Now in case you decide to dive in to the world of GNU/Linux I'd recommend something beginner friendly like Linux Mint or Zorin OS. Both are great Linux distributions which resemble the Windows desktop in some way. If you prefer the MacOS layout, Ubuntu,  Pop_OS or Elementary OS are excellent choices too.

I hope this is helpful in some way. Cheers

Just use Windows 10. It can do everything and is very user friendly.

If you dont care about gaming and you're ok with spending too much money on a computer, get a Mac.

Don't use Linux unless you already have experience with computers and know how to troubleshoot things.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 12/7/2021 at 7:31 PM, zachthetree said:

but can i get some help on picking an OS please?

OpenBSD.

Else, we need more information.

Write in C.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:08 PM, joltx said:

Now if you just need basic things like word processing and web browsing, generally any os will do.

Plan 9 won't (yet).

Write in C.

I have a feeling that you are a novice PC user if you are asking which OS you should get. In this case, I would go with either Windows or a Mac. I am not an Apple user, so I personally would lean towards Windows.

I do a lot of production style work. Video and audio editing, recording bands, analog tapes to digital file conversions, ect. But I also do some PC gaming through Steam. I use Windows because there are pieces of hardware I need for analog tape capturing that only work under Windows. Not to mention I have been a Windows user since Windows '98 and it is what I know best. I just don't have time to mess with Linux or other OS options. I don't always like the choices Microsoft makes with it's products, but sometimes you just got to deal with it to get things done. Sometimes, user like us in the community make enough noise that Microsoft makes the changes we want. Other times, we conform to what they offer. That's bit tech in general though.

If you are not real experienced with do-it-yourself computer options, I would go with Windows or a Mac. But again, what you plan on using the PC for will play a big roll in what you should run. Good luck!