My thermal paste idea, could it work

brownninja97

I had an idea(i suggest you make a backup of your brain so that you can recover from the brain cells you are about to loose).

So what happens is that something in your pc is overheating or getting hot so you get non conductive thermal paste(so you dont fry anything). Buy like 50 of them and throw the paste bloody everywhere, cover your whole build in the stuff. Now would that help the heat transfer to go from an heatsink for example to the air where your fans do the rest of the work.

If you didnt understand that here is a shortened version

Computer+ thermal paste on bloody everything = success.

I understand there could be dust problems and things could get sticky but would it help?

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I had an idea(i suggest you make a backup of your brain so that you can recover from the brain cells you are about to loose).

So what happens is that something in your pc is overheating or getting hot so you get non conductive thermal paste(so you dont fry anything). Buy like 50 of them and throw the paste bloody everywhere, cover your whole build in the stuff. Now would that help the heat transfer to go from an heatsink for example to the air where your fans do the rest of the work.

If you didnt understand that here is a shortened version

Computer+ thermal paste on bloody everything = success.

I understand there could be dust problems and things could get sticky but would it help?

no

that would basically f*ck everything up quite seriously.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I made a backup of my brain but my HDD failed...

I seriously doubt this would work, like 99.9% sure it would just screw things up.

that would basically f*ck everything up quite seriously.

non conductive wouldnt affect anything, if it conducts then its a problem

I made a backup of my brain but my HDD failed...

I seriously doubt this would work, like 99.9% sure it would just screw things up.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

This is a good idea until you realize what thermal paste does and why you use it.

The thermal paste is there to effectively transfer heat from the die to the heatsink. If you think thermal paste has cooling properties of it's own, take your computer's heatsink off and slather on a bunch of paste and try running it.

You just fried your CPU didn't you? 

Science!

Tired of hearing people say you can't install OS X on AMD hardware. Educate yourself.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/138853-just-got-myself-into-a-fully-working-hackintosh-amd-no-less/

this is an awful idea, shame on you.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

non conductive wouldnt affect anything, if it conducts then its a problem

I dont mean like fry everything but more like isolate in some way.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

To my knowledge thermal paste is actually worse for heat transfer than metal to metal contact, but because it fills in the gaps you get a larger surface area, making it useful.

It doesn't even deserve a response, but putting it everywhere would probably insulate more than anything..

To my knowledge thermal paste is actually worse for heat transfer than metal to metal contact, but because it fills in the gaps you get a larger surface area, making it useful.

It doesn't even deserve a response, but putting it everywhere would probably insulate more than anything..

This, thermal paste doesn't really conduct heat amazingly, it just helps make more contact between the IHS and the heatsink.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

This is a good idea until you realize what thermal paste does and why you use it.

The thermal paste is there to effectively transfer heat from the die to the heatsink. If you think thermal paste has cooling properties of it's own, take your computer's heatsink off and slather on a bunch of paste and try running it.

You just fried your CPU didn't you? 

Science!

nonono, my theory is that you can transfer the heat from the heatsink to the air quicker this way.

Listen if you care.

@brownninja97

Look at which site you're on... I wonder if maybe the founder of this site has some sort of informational video about thermal paste.

It's definitely a long shot... you should check.

You don't seem to have any idea how thermal paste works, and considering the fact that you know about Linus, and the fact that he has all those great informative videos, ignorance like this is inexcusable.

Tired of hearing people say you can't install OS X on AMD hardware. Educate yourself.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/138853-just-got-myself-into-a-fully-working-hackintosh-amd-no-less/

CRITICAL ERROR:

BACKUP_IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this message, reboot your brain.

MEMORY DUMP IN PROGRESS: |||||||||||||||              67%

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

nonono, my theory is that you can transfer the heat from the heatsink to the air quicker this way.

I think you need to think about this on a microscopic level, air is gaseous so all the molecules are moving freely so having a smooth surface isn't going to have an effect really, in fact I think it might actually decrease surface area as the metal which has a hard structure will be sort of pitted whereas thermal paste which is almost liquid will be flatter, meaning the metal by itself will have more contact with the air.

Then to top it all off I'm pretty sure thermal paste doesn't dissipate heat as well as certain metals. 

A physicist could probably explain that a bit better, but hopefully you get the point.

@brownninja97

Look at which site you're on... I wonder if maybe the founder of this site has some sort of informational video about thermal paste.

It's definitely a long shot... you should check.

You don't seem to have any idea how thermal paste works, and considering the fact that you know about Linus, and the fact that he has all those great informative videos, ignorance like this is inexcusable.

hmm this whole times ive seemed to think that thermal paste is for aiding in heat transfer. Im a bit nutty after revising for so long, sorry if i offended you for not remembering every detail in the world about computers

Listen if you care.

u know why they say use as less as possible thermal paste when u apply it to ur cpu/gpu, because thermal past conduct heat slower than metal.

so according to ur idea if we cover the heatsink with thermal paste, here is how the thermal conductivity will work,

metal > to thermal paste > to air 

since thermal paste is slower, u just add more time for the heat to dissipate, now here is 1 more thing to help u understand why this wont work even if the thermal paste is better than metal,

metal > to " perfect " thermal paste > to air

now the perfect thermal paste is faster than the metal 100%, but if the metal takes lets say 1 sec to drop 1 degree , and the perfect paste takes 0.00001 sec to drop 1 degree, then ur system needs 1.00001 sec to drop 1 degree .

the perfect solution is to have least amount of material that the heat goes through and have these material as thermal conductive as possible.

u know why they say use as less as possible thermal paste when u apply it to ur cpu/gpu, because thermal past conduct heat slower than metal.

so according to ur idea if we cover the heatsink with thermal paste, here is how the thermal conductivity will work,

metal > to thermal paste > to air 

since thermal paste is slower, u just add more time for the heat to disabate, now here is 1 more thing to help u understand why this wont work even if the thermal paste is better than metal,

metal > to " perfect " thermal paste > to air

now the perfect thermal paste is faster than the metal 100%, but if the metal takes lets say 1 sec to drop 1 degree , and the perfect paste takes 0.00001 sec to drop 1 degree, then ur system needs 1.00001 sec to drop 1 degree .

the perfect solution is to have least amount of material that the heat goes through and have these material as thermal conductive as possible.you do 

You do have a point there, it safe to say after the verbal massacre on this thread that im wrong, whats to be learned from this is that most humans dont make threads about their stupid ideas, i should probably follow that style of thinking, or i can carry on making up crazy ideas and one day ill strike it rich and patent the **** out of it.

Listen if you care.

hmm this whole times ive seemed to think that thermal paste is for aiding in heat transfer. Im a bit nutty after revising for so long, sorry if i offended you for not remembering every detail in the world about computers

Think of it this way... Forget that cold exists. There is literally no such thing as cold, ask your physics teacher. There is only the absence of heat. If you're covering something with a thick paste, where is that heat going to go? It's going to stay trapped in the metals because heat likes metal more than it likes paste. Sure it'll get rid of some of the heat through passive means, but the majority of the heat will be trapped. 

You're right that thermal paste aids in heat transfer, but only between two contacting points. And i'm not even going to touch the topic of Conductive or Capacitive effects on electronic hardware which is the main reason why this is a horrible idea.

You do have a point there, it safe to say after the verbal massacre on this thread that im wrong, whats to be learned from this is that most humans dont make threads about their stupid ideas, i should probably follow that style of thinking, or i can carry on making up crazy ideas and one day ill strike it rich and patent the **** out of it.

well all of us are ignorant in some subject, keep ur ideas coming atleast u are learning.

well all of us are ignorant in some subject, keep ur ideas coming atleast u are learning.

well there is the special gpu bracket to prevent asus cards from sagging because asus cards sag, a lot more then cards from other manufactures. Alas that is a story for another day, ive taken enough of a beating today

Listen if you care.

Think of it this way... Forget that cold exists. There is literally no such thing as cold, ask your physics teacher. There is only the absence of heat. If you're covering something with a thick paste, where is that heat going to go? It's going to stay trapped in the metals because heat likes metal more than it likes paste. Sure it'll get rid of some of the heat through passive means, but the majority of the heat will be trapped. 

You're right that thermal paste aids in heat transfer, but only between two contacting points. And i'm not even going to touch the topic of Conductive or Capacitive effects on electronic hardware which is the main reason why this is a horrible idea.

u are assuming that thermal paste is so bad in thermal conductivity, while it is good but not great

I've often thought about welding the IHS to whatever heatsink/waterblock i use to see if it brings any improvement.

It would surely screw the entire thing. But welding the two surfaces together completely should help with heat transfer as it is one complete piece.

I wonder if i could get my hands on just the shield part of the cpu and try it out. And a spare 3770k/3570k that i could de-lid. 

So i could test out the differences between using thermal paste vs a completely fused unit.

Coating everyting in TIM would probably insulate it as has been mentioned before in the thread.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I've often thought about welding the IHS to whatever heatsink/waterblock i use to see if it brings any improvement.

It would surely screw the entire thing. But welding the two surfaces together completely should help with heat transfer as it is one complete piece.

I wonder if i could get my hands on just the shield part of the cpu and try it out. And a spare 3770k/3570k that i could de-lid. 

So i could test out the differences between using thermal paste vs a completely fused unit.

Coating everyting in TIM would probably insulate it as has been mentioned before in the thread.

try it with one of the prescott cpus or an early fermi card, it should be a lot cheaper.

Listen if you care.