hows the build(plan) so far?

zachthetree
Go to solution Solved by Zmimgo,
1 minute ago, zachthetree said:

my budget is at most $1000 US but yea thats possible. Id be willing to go to macOS if its cheaper. I planned to get the GPU from bestbuy because they sell them for msrp($240 US) so with the GPU being at $240 i think the cost is around $975 US.

Honestly then, save up a little bit more and get the M1 MacBook Air and, preferably, get the 16GB RAM model. If you still want to build a PC, here are some of my recommendations:

1: Depending on how big your projects are, RAM is nowadays pretty important. Especially if you have many resource heavy plugins, one or two do nothing, but they sure do add up.

2: The more tracks, the more cores. 6 modern CPU cores should be fine for most music production workloads.

3: Assuming you have the PC in the same room, you want it to be - not quiet - but as silent as possible. PWM fans are a must-have if you ask me and coolers with large heatsinks are also critical.

4: Depending on what music gear you have, USB ports is another one of those very important things. I find myself using my Komplete Kontrol A49, Maschine Mikro MK3 and some audio device (right now using DJ controller) to record external audio, and more often than not I have external drives with my sound libraries in. I'd go with a minimum of 6, excluding things like mice, keyboards, webcams etc.

5: Screen real estate. Go 1440p, even if it's not an IPS panel. I hate not being able to see the waveforms of the tracks which was something I had to deal with on the 1080p screen on my laptop. 1440p was so much better, theoretically brings you 50% more tracks (because 1440p is around 1.5 times the height as 1080p, after accounting for the menus and stuff).

Nice to haves:

Wireless peripherals - with the music gear on my table, I often don't have a comfy place to use my keyboard and mouse. Wireless stuff really is nice.

Non-PC stuff - things like audio interfaces aren't that expensive anymore and something like the UMC22 from Behringer provides good audio for around 50 dollars here in Sweden. These are the small quality of life improvements.

With all that said, here is a little part list of what I would buy myself:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3cwqYg 

(why isn't it automautically loading the thing bruh)

Quick "why I chose this":

i5-11400: great CPU, only 30 dollars more for a lot more performance, not to mention the graphics are also a little bit better

Mugen 5 Rev B cooler: 

coolers with large heatsinks are also critical

Same mobo because cheap and good enough

Cheapest 2x8GB kit at 3200MHz CL16 because cheap

SN750 SE 500G: faster than SATA SSD and the SN750 SE, while not amazing compared to like the regular SN750, is still better than other 50 dollars SSDs.

2TB HDD (7200RPM is important): mass storage, music production stuff is so large lmao

Pure Base 500: pretty good case with decent sound isolation... thats it, what did you expect

600W EVGA GD 2019 PSU: ranked the same as the PSU you picked, but better efficiency for 3 dollars more - which you can get back after like 10 days of usage haha

some used 1440p monitor because monitors is one of those things that basically dont matter at all if you buy used or new

GPU is something you can add later on, and keyboard/mouse is all preference. I would suggest some tactile keyboard (easier to type on than linears, more quiet than clicky) and something such as an G305 wireless mouse from Logitech.

If you have other questions about music production or DJing, hmu. I mainly use Logic Pro, Ableton Live and Maschine for my music production, as well as rekordbox for DJing. I would say I'm pretty knowledgeable in audio gear, so you know where to go if you have questions. Have a great day!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/zachthekid/saved/#view=ZnZn6h 

Its my first full pc setup, ive play console for all my life but Ive started to get into music production.

the main purpose of the pc is for music production but eventually Id like to game and maybe stream.

Sadly reaches my  budget and Id like to stick to the most budget parts. I plan to upgrade the CPU to the i5-11600kf. 🙂

Here is your problem.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.39937b5e408e178a874320d22ee99e45.png

What's your budget? Is it possible for you to use an iGPU for now and add a GPU later? Do you mind going macOS (mainly MacBooks)?

2 minutes ago, Zmimgo said:

Here is your problem.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.39937b5e408e178a874320d22ee99e45.png

What's your budget? Is it possible for you to use an iGPU for now and add a GPU later? Do you mind going macOS (mainly MacBooks)?

my budget is at most $1000 US but yea thats possible. Id be willing to go to macOS if its cheaper. I planned to get the GPU from bestbuy because they sell them for msrp($240 US) so with the GPU being at $240 i think the cost is around $975 US.

1 minute ago, zachthetree said:

Honestly then, save up a little bit more and get the M1 MacBook Air and, preferably, get the 16GB RAM model. If you still want to build a PC, here are some of my recommendations:

1: Depending on how big your projects are, RAM is nowadays pretty important. Especially if you have many resource heavy plugins, one or two do nothing, but they sure do add up.

2: The more tracks, the more cores. 6 modern CPU cores should be fine for most music production workloads.

3: Assuming you have the PC in the same room, you want it to be - not quiet - but as silent as possible. PWM fans are a must-have if you ask me and coolers with large heatsinks are also critical.

4: Depending on what music gear you have, USB ports is another one of those very important things. I find myself using my Komplete Kontrol A49, Maschine Mikro MK3 and some audio device (right now using DJ controller) to record external audio, and more often than not I have external drives with my sound libraries in. I'd go with a minimum of 6, excluding things like mice, keyboards, webcams etc.

5: Screen real estate. Go 1440p, even if it's not an IPS panel. I hate not being able to see the waveforms of the tracks which was something I had to deal with on the 1080p screen on my laptop. 1440p was so much better, theoretically brings you 50% more tracks (because 1440p is around 1.5 times the height as 1080p, after accounting for the menus and stuff).

Nice to haves:

Wireless peripherals - with the music gear on my table, I often don't have a comfy place to use my keyboard and mouse. Wireless stuff really is nice.

Non-PC stuff - things like audio interfaces aren't that expensive anymore and something like the UMC22 from Behringer provides good audio for around 50 dollars here in Sweden. These are the small quality of life improvements.

With all that said, here is a little part list of what I would buy myself:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3cwqYg 

(why isn't it automautically loading the thing bruh)

Quick "why I chose this":

i5-11400: great CPU, only 30 dollars more for a lot more performance, not to mention the graphics are also a little bit better

Mugen 5 Rev B cooler: 

coolers with large heatsinks are also critical

Same mobo because cheap and good enough

Cheapest 2x8GB kit at 3200MHz CL16 because cheap

SN750 SE 500G: faster than SATA SSD and the SN750 SE, while not amazing compared to like the regular SN750, is still better than other 50 dollars SSDs.

2TB HDD (7200RPM is important): mass storage, music production stuff is so large lmao

Pure Base 500: pretty good case with decent sound isolation... thats it, what did you expect

600W EVGA GD 2019 PSU: ranked the same as the PSU you picked, but better efficiency for 3 dollars more - which you can get back after like 10 days of usage haha

some used 1440p monitor because monitors is one of those things that basically dont matter at all if you buy used or new

GPU is something you can add later on, and keyboard/mouse is all preference. I would suggest some tactile keyboard (easier to type on than linears, more quiet than clicky) and something such as an G305 wireless mouse from Logitech.

If you have other questions about music production or DJing, hmu. I mainly use Logic Pro, Ableton Live and Maschine for my music production, as well as rekordbox for DJing. I would say I'm pretty knowledgeable in audio gear, so you know where to go if you have questions. Have a great day!