First build after years of planning / wanting, looking for comments / criticism

VelikiPCguy

Budget (including currency): £6000 (around $8000)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: mostly high-end gaming in ultra / 4k / high fps, Cyberpunk, Anno 1800, Total War: Warhammer 3 (once it comes out). Generally RPGs and RTSs with maybe some shooters / MMOs here and there.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Main components:

- GPU: MSI RTX 3090 Suprim X

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

- Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master

- CPU Cooler (AIO): Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix 360mm

- RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3600MHz CL17 (model F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR)

- Storage: Samsung 980 PRO 2TB

- PSU: Corsair HX1200 80+ Platinum

- Case: Cooler Master H500M

- Monitor: Acer Predator XB273K GP

- Thermal Paste: Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme

Peripherals:

- Keyboard: Razer Ornata V2 Mecha-Membrane

- Mouse: ADX Firepower M04

- Mousepad: haven't decided yet - probably extended, on the softer side

- Headphones: Razer BlackShark V2 Pro

- Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX

- Microphone: TONOR Cardioid Condenser TC30

- Webcam: Wansview Webcam 102

- Optical drive: Antika External Optical Drive 

- VR: Oculus Go

- Desk: haven't decided yet - probably height-adjustable, as deep as I can find

- Chair: haven't decided yet - probably good office chair as gaming chairs suck

Are you doing anything else apart from gaming ? i.e Video editing/rendering etc.

My suggestion will be to get 12900K instead.

Here is my list. The SSD is simply much better, So that isn't even debatable to get it instead of 980 pro. 1200W PSU is overkill, So I recommend getting 1000W, As it's cheaper and even that is overkill. Changed AIO, because that's good AIO, You won't be paying lot of money because of RGB fans, That are low quality anyways, So getting good fans and replacing stock fans with them is better idea in my opinion. Faster RAM = Better performance, Also this Team Xtreem RAMs looks perfect in my eyes and it's price is okey too. P.S. It has Samsung B die, So it's very high quality. Also, For a GPU, Get cheapest 3090 from reliable brand you find, Don't pay extra because its MSI Suprim X, Yes, It's great GPU, But for current market, Whatever you find for reasonable price will be better, Ofc unless that Suprim X one is cheapest 😆

And I'm not touching peripherals, That's all personal preference. 

0000[/i]

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor  (£578.99 @ Technextday) 
CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Lumen S36 56 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£94.99 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£239.99 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: Team T-Force XTREEM ARGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory  (£156.04 @ Newegg UK) 
Memory: Team T-Force XTREEM ARGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory  (£156.04 @ Newegg UK) 
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 530 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£310.37 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ATX Mid Tower Case  (£193.20 @ Technextday) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£177.75 @ Infinite Computing) 
Case Fan: Lian Li Uni Fan AL 64.5 CFM 120 mm Fan  (£25.99 @ AWD-IT) 
Case Fan: Lian Li UNI FAN AL120 64.5 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  (£64.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1998.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-04 17:18 GMT+0000

Looks alright to me although a bit overkill, but you clearly have the budget for it so why not. 

But given the budget I don't really understand some of the peripherals you have chosen. Or are there also parts in there you already have? The speakers for example aren't that stellar, you generally can get much nicer and high quality speakers in the form of bookshelf speakers. Same goes for the microphone, although depending on your requirements I suppose it can be fine, it just seems a bit out of place considering your other budget choices. 

To be clear, they are fine and if you already have them there is no reason to replace them. My remark only applies to buying them new as part of this build.

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

1 hour ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

So getting good fans and replacing stock fans with them is better idea in my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go over them, but just to ask about this bit - so you would recommend replacing the stock fans on any AIO? Which fans should I replace them with, the Lian Li ones you mentioned for the case?

1 hour ago, creesch said:

But given the budget I don't really understand some of the peripherals you have chosen. Or are there also parts in there you already have? The speakers for example aren't that stellar, you generally can get much nicer and high quality speakers in the form of bookshelf speakers. Same goes for the microphone, although depending on your requirements I suppose it can be fine, it just seems a bit out of place considering your other budget choices. 

To be clear, they are fine and if you already have them there is no reason to replace them. My remark only applies to buying them new as part of this build.

Mic is just a random one I have at home, really will only be using it when not on headphones (which have mic inbuilt) and don't need stellar quality for Discord etc.

Speakers I don't have yet, so open to suggestions. Sorry, what do you mean by bookshelf speakers? These Logitech ones I found relatively highly rated on several review sites, but if you have some better in mind I'm happy to change my choice!

Replacing fans on an AIO invalidates any benchmarks you may have relied on.

Consider an i9-12900K build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor  (£578.99 @ Technextday) 
CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius+ S36 Prisma PWM ARGB 85.71 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£179.99 @ AWD-IT) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (£239.99 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL15 Memory  (£183.83 @ Newegg UK) 
Storage: Kingston KC3000 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£352.92 @ More Computers) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB SUPRIM X Video Card  (£2323.47 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ATX Mid Tower Case  (£193.20 @ Technextday) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£139.00 @ Computer Orbit) 
Total: £4191.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-04 18:43 GMT+0000

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

34 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Get a 2 stick ram kit instead of 4.

Doesn't RAM work better when 4 slots are filled?

5 minutes ago, NewwGuyy123 said:

Mic is just a random one I have at home, really will only be using it when not on headphones (which have mic inbuilt) and don't need stellar quality for Discord etc.

Speakers I don't have yet, so open to suggestions. Sorry, what do you mean by bookshelf speakers? These Logitech ones I found relatively highly rated on several review sites, but if you have some better in mind I'm happy to change my choice!

Bookshelf speakers are speakers that due to their size could fit on a bookshelf 😉 They often provide better sound than many gaming speakers as they have bigger drivers, better enclosures, etc. The Logitech Z623s out of the box might give you bit more bass but generally speaking isn't all that great across as some frequency ranges can get a bit muddied compared to speakers made by an actual audio company. 

As far as recommendations go Edifier makes some good ones: 

There are also other brands out there that make excellent active powered bookshelf speakers in a similar price range. I am just not personally familiar with these. As a note, you do want active bookshelf speakers so with an amplifier build in as there are also bookshelf speakers intended to be used with a separate amplifier which would not work for your use case.  

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

14 minutes ago, NewwGuyy123 said:

Doesn't RAM work better when 4 slots are filled?

Not necessarily. In fact in some situations 4 sticks will not work. But there are situations in which 4 sticks will offer better performance. One would have to examine particular kits to determine which is optimal. The advantage of a two stick kit over four is it leaves two slots available for an upgrade.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, NewwGuyy123 said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go over them, but just to ask about this bit - so you would recommend replacing the stock fans on any AIO? Which fans should I replace them with, the Lian Li ones you mentioned for the case?

Not if AIO comes with good fans.  

Save some money and go with a 12700K and 3080 ti. At 4K there will be little difference.