HDD Seagate 2TB Noise

Guest FrA123

My HDD's been doing a pretty ''strange'' noise, it doesn't sound like clicking or failure song but it still bothers a bit, i don't know how to describe the sound but it kinda of resembles the sound of someone slightly touching a treadmill, i don't know, i just wondering whether this sound is normal or not. thanks

26 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Kinda like a whirring noise? Like a turbocharger?

No, nothing of the sort, it's just like, not a constant sound, it happens frequently, i definitely cannot describe it, maybe when you push or pull your wooden bed and it touches a wooden floor, the scratching noise that makes a hmmm hmmm, but it's very low. sorry for weird description.

When it comes to hard drives when in doubt, swap it out. Get the data backed up off it to another drive and relegate it to use in an external enclosure or something not holding important data.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

When it comes to hard drives when in doubt, swap it out. Get the data backed up off it to another drive and relegate it to use in an external enclosure or something not holding important data.

Yes, thanks

I have an old drive from the late 90's that, because it was made in the late 90's, sounds like a turbocharger spooling when it spins up and a supercharger when it hits full speed. 

Same problem with a seagate and a Toshiba 3.5" drive... they might be silent,  they might start making noises at any time and its *very* loud and also performance immediately tanks when they do this... i was told thats "normal" however none of my 2.5" drives do that, so I just use the 3.5 drives as external backup drives now and will not buy them again,  i think its time to move on to ssds for good now anyways as I noticed with some newer games mechanical drives actually can't keep up anymore...  *depends on use case obviously,  I just game/record/stream .

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity