gpu performance limit utilization

Hey, i just want to know if any one knows why my GPU is doing this, it keeps dropping core clock and FPS in OW. i will start at like 350-400 then it will slowly work down to like 250. it shows my core clock is at the base 1535 mhz and goes up now and then. i have changed to a 240hz monitor i have a I9 9900K oced to 5.1, 32gb ram at 4000 mhz, and a m.2 drive so i dont think its anything like that. i have a 750w PSU.

i noticed the pref limit and from what i can tell it never hit 100% on anything so any ideas? from what it feels like its going into idiel when there is a load on it =/ 

Thanks

image.thumb.png.d52130aba15863966bdf277d36103b7d.png

Going slower and slower can be a heat thing. Would maybe have to be pretty severe for it to be that though.  It would also start out at full speed for at least a little while till the cooler gets heat soaked. Thus for it to seem like that it would have to be pretty bad.  Would need to be hitting bingo fast.  There are some cases that I suppose might do that.  Another possibility would be a bad gpu mount.  They would look similar except since the problem is not enough heat is getting from the gpu into the cooler heat soak would be ultra quick.  Faster than boot so it would start up already gimped.  Would show  on a gpu probe though.  Can be checked quickly by checking video card thermals would have to go to temp where it starts throttling fast and more or less stay there.  That number varies by gpu model.  They can be surprisingly low though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

from what i can tell the GPU very really gets hotter then 57 normally when i was gmaing tbh this is the first time its gotten to 70 degree which i was kinda happy about as i thought they problem might be solved as you would thing pumping out 300-400 frames the gpu would be hitting high usage and temps... the GPU usage is normally about 30-50% when i come on OW with all gettings to low as i want the higher frames. i have had 2 PSU as the first one was faulty. it does seems as if it's something that builds up its normally a 2-4 games in when it starts. the mount seems to be solid. 

best way to check all the thermals on the card? like extra senses?                                 

1 hour ago, BerserkHealer said:

from what i can tell the GPU very really gets hotter then 57 normally when i was gmaing tbh this is the first time its gotten to 70 degree which i was kinda happy about as i thought they problem might be solved as you would thing pumping out 300-400 frames the gpu would be hitting high usage and temps... the GPU usage is normally about 30-50% when i come on OW with all gettings to low as i want the higher frames. i have had 2 PSU as the first one was faulty. it does seems as if it's something that builds up its normally a 2-4 games in when it starts. the mount seems to be solid. 

best way to check all the thermals on the card? like extra senses?                                 

Often they’re available with manufacturer apps. Iirc GPUZ would have some too.  It’s freeware. There may be better choices.  Those are the ones I know of that are not considered “old fashioned” and probably also useless. Video cards frequently have lower throttle temps than CPUs.  The 56° couldn’t possibly be a throttle temp. 70° might be though depending on the video card. GPU usage should be 100% unless your cpu is maxing out. Low settings means faster frames because it often takes stress off the cpu and gpu allowing for that 100% to be a higher total frame rate.  Makes me wonder if this is maybe a cpu not gpu problem.  If the cpu can’t render frames fast enough the gpu would just be lazing along.  If BOTH the cpu and gpu are under 100% though something is going on. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

i have added in what msi shows while gaming to see if you can see anything that stands out, but from what i can see there isnt anything =/ 

#

image.thumb.png.1a64829938c3323abc9aaf895efcf81c.pngimage.thumb.png.6eccf66818bc632bfe9f0bf9bba70b6b.pngimage.thumb.png.c62ae9033746d35f4220ca32a56a8985.pngimage.thumb.png.98fd84c7ee65f88a3eadfb996e543152.png

57 minutes ago, BerserkHealer said:

i have added in what msi shows while gaming to see if you can see anything that stands out, but from what i can see there isnt anything =/ 

# 94.04 kB · 0 downloads

image.thumb.png.1a64829938c3323abc9aaf895efcf81c.pngimage.thumb.png.6eccf66818bc632bfe9f0bf9bba70b6b.pngimage.thumb.png.c62ae9033746d35f4220ca32a56a8985.pngimage.thumb.png.98fd84c7ee65f88a3eadfb996e543152.png

I don’t use the app much though I think I did load it.  I wouldn’t be able to read anything useful from such graphs I’m afraid. I was thinking of a much more simplistic view that didn’t have a fraction of a second by fraction of a second sample rate. There’s just a ton of data there. So much even the legends on the graphs are too blurry to read even when blown up.

My questions were much simpler: what is bingo for your model of gpu?  Does your gpu hit it?  Is your CPU getting 100% usage and if so what is the usage level of the GPU when this happens?  These graphs are by individual core and I can’t tell which one is gpu and which is cpu because of the blurriness. I think I saw one say 92% but I don’t know which it was or if it was just one core.  It’s a bit like the discovery section of a legal case where one gets boxes and boxes of paper that are uncoalated or indexed. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Thats odd you cant see the graphs as i just checked them even on my phone and i could see them as clear as day... and when you look nothing hits the top... i think 4 cores hit like 70% at the max the other 4 cores are just chilling about 34% the gpu never hits more then like 60% and temps are about 47/ 50... sometimes 62. The only thing that looked close to 100 was in the hwinfo image i added

4 hours ago, BerserkHealer said:

Thats odd you cant see the graphs as i just checked them even on my phone and i could see them as clear as day... and when you look nothing hits the top... i think 4 cores hit like 70% at the max the other 4 cores are just chilling about 34% the gpu never hits more then like 60% and temps are about 47/ 50... sometimes 62. The only thing that looked close to 100 was in the hwinfo image i added

I can see them.  The problem is when I zoom in to read the legend they’re too blurry. Right on the edge though.  I can make out some of them.  Still much more fine grained than I was talking about.  The useful data is there, but it’s in the legend, which I can’t reliably make out.  Also it’s for each individual core.