Ryzen 7 3750H overheating

So i had my laptop for almost 2 years now and in the past few months my cpu overheats alot. Laptop has been cleaned and i replaced the thermal paste. Yet still it goes to like 105°C. This did not happen before. While i play and the cpu goes over 100°C clock speeds drop to 300mhz and my game just runs on 5 fps for 5-6 seconds until its cooled down a bit. It happens like once an hour and im not sure what can i do to fix it. I even have a laptop cooling pad but its not helping.

49 minutes ago, Spiddjon said:

So i had my laptop for almost 2 years now and in the past few months my cpu overheats alot. Laptop has been cleaned and i replaced the thermal paste. Yet still it goes to like 105°C. This did not happen before. While i play and the cpu goes over 100°C clock speeds drop to 300mhz and my game just runs on 5 fps for 5-6 seconds until its cooled down a bit. It happens like once an hour and im not sure what can i do to fix it. I even have a laptop cooling pad but its not helping.

Yeah laptop cooling pads are frequently total crap and even then only occasionally not quite crap if cooling ports and fans happen to line up.  

Unless it’s a mechanical issue, which it sounds like you addressed as much as possible, it’s got to be software.  105c seems odd. Quite high for a modern heat ceiling on a chip.  Like possibly over it.  What is the normal heat ceiling?  It does sound like it’s throttling pretty hard. Without knowing what is being dealt with, little can be even suggested.  A model would likely be needed.  Depending on how the company does things possibly also other specs. There are pinned posts in the troubleshooting section with a lot of suggestions.  One of which is what sort of computer stats people are likely to need.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah laptop cooling pads are frequently total crap and even then only occasionally not quite crap if cooling ports and fans happen to line up.  

Unless it’s a mechanical issue, which it sounds like you addressed as much as possible, it’s got to be software.  105c seems odd. Quite high for a modern heat ceiling on a chip.  Like possibly over it.  What is the normal heat ceiling?  It does sound like it’s throttling pretty hard. Without knowing what is being dealt with, little can be even suggested.  A model would likely be needed.  Depending on how the company does things possibly also other specs. There are pinned posts in the troubleshooting section with a lot of suggestions.  One of which is what sort of computer stats people are likely to need.

Laptop is ASUS TUF FX505DD
Ryzen 7 3750H
Nvidia GTX 1050 3GB
2x8 ram sticks.
Before the overheating started max temps were like 90-95 at most but now it just jumps to 105 sometimes and it does that annoying fps drop.

GPU reaches like 70 degrees max so its just cpu

3750h is a 4/8 ryzen+ 12nm APU with vega10.  The 1050 3gb discrete card is interesting in that while faster than the internal vega10, it’s not massively faster.  I could see a good deal of swapping of renderer going on depending on what is needed.   There isn’t the gigantic gap between them one normally sees. Unfortunately I was not able to find out what the throttle temp is for that cpu.  Here’s hoping it’s 105°c and not lower. 

70c is quite hot for some GPUs.  It could be bingo.  Early Nvidia’s like that may have used different CPUs with the same number. I don’t know.  There have been situations like that, and 1050s are the right age and power level for that to possibly be a problem.  You should be able to simply read what gpu you actually have and cross reference it to see.  

Let’s Assume for future purposes that has been done though and the discrete graphic are not hitting bingo,  When you say “cleaned” I also assume you mean the air cooler and fan stuff and not just having the externals wiped down with a rag or something which would do nothing. My strong suspicion then is that it is a software issue regarding your somewhat long in the tooth chip, and a recent software update.  The time this started happening coincides with the release of win11.  Are you running win11 on this thing?  One other though is visit the asus website and see if there is any drivers or bios there that are newer than the ones you are using.  If there aren’t any, perhaps check the AMD site for new bioses for your chip.  Don’t just blindly install it though.  Checking would need to be done.  You’ve got a laptop and sometimes the way they work is very non-standard.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

This GPU Will tend to get hot, Id either use actual Paste and do the X Pattern on the CPU, but also id recommend getting it looked at, just i will say 

This CPU has tendencies to Boost with newer games, and Higher clock speeds equals high temps, 

Heres mine for Example < It can get to 4.4GHZ to 5 And reach 86C

image.thumb.png.9ba3e6268eb3e9e6725d05f91c7d9d05.png

This will reach high temps due to Voltage / Clock speeds

image.thumb.png.d01d8a39eefa1451c1b246d2f064134e.png

On 12/4/2021 at 12:59 PM, HavenPyrope said:

This GPU Will tend to get hot, Id either use actual Paste and do the X Pattern on the CPU, but also id recommend getting it looked at, just i will say 

This CPU has tendencies to Boost with newer games, and Higher clock speeds equals high temps, 

Heres mine for Example < It can get to 4.4GHZ to 5 And reach 86C

image.thumb.png.9ba3e6268eb3e9e6725d05f91c7d9d05.png

This will reach high temps due to Voltage / Clock speeds

image.thumb.png.d01d8a39eefa1451c1b246d2f064134e.png

Yeah i know it boosts the clock speeds but it never really goes above 3.5ghz.

On 12/3/2021 at 8:17 PM, Bombastinator said:

3750h is a 4/8 ryzen+ 12nm APU with vega10.  The 1050 3gb discrete card is interesting in that while faster than the internal vega10, it’s not massively faster.  I could see a good deal of swapping of renderer going on depending on what is needed.   There isn’t the gigantic gap between them one normally sees. Unfortunately I was not able to find out what the throttle temp is for that cpu.  Here’s hoping it’s 105°c and not lower. 

70c is quite hot for some GPUs.  It could be bingo.  Early Nvidia’s like that may have used different CPUs with the same number. I don’t know.  There have been situations like that, and 1050s are the right age and power level for that to possibly be a problem.  You should be able to simply read what gpu you actually have and cross reference it to see.  

Let’s Assume for future purposes that has been done though and the discrete graphic are not hitting bingo,  When you say “cleaned” I also assume you mean the air cooler and fan stuff and not just having the externals wiped down with a rag or something which would do nothing. My strong suspicion then is that it is a software issue regarding your somewhat long in the tooth chip, and a recent software update.  The time this started happening coincides with the release of win11.  Are you running win11 on this thing?  One other though is visit the asus website and see if there is any drivers or bios there that are newer than the ones you are using.  If there aren’t any, perhaps check the AMD site for new bioses for your chip.  Don’t just blindly install it though.  Checking would need to be done.  You’ve got a laptop and sometimes the way they work is very non-standard.

Yes what i meant by cleaned is i changed the thermal paste which was dry and i also cleaned the fans and air vents with compressed air so no dust is stuck on there. I tested the difference between vega 10 and gtx 1050 and its actually quite a big difference in most of the games. Also yeah i moved to windows 11 like a month ago but it was happening on windows 10 too when i was using it. Ever since i got the laptop i installed fresh copy of windows 10 and never really faced the overheating issues until like a half a year ago while i was still on windows 10. Ever since i moved to windows 11 i actually get less fps drops because of the overheating but it does still happen occasionally in games that are cpu heavy or games that are not that cpu heavy but i have youtube playing on my second monitor and stuff like that. I also have Armoury Crate installed and while i just watch youtube or go do something and dont feel like turning off the laptop i just put it on "Silent mode" which locks the clock speeds at 1.3ghz and temps drop to 40-45 degrees and the fans drop to 1.5k rpm. While i play games or do other stuff i use the "Balanced mode" which enables the clock boost feature and it runs 80-85 degrees for most of the times but there are few spikes that go over 100 and the fps drops happen. About the bios im not sure i guess i can look into it

Microsoft was prepping for the release of win11 before they ever released it.  Makes sense to try win11 if there are problems with win10.  There have been some recent bios changes for intel stuff.  Laptops especially.  Worth a look perhaps

On 12/6/2021 at 12:13 AM, Bombastinator said:

Microsoft was prepping for the release of win11 before they ever released it.  Makes sense to try win11 if there are problems with win10.  There have been some recent bios changes for intel stuff.  Laptops especially.  Worth a look perhaps

Okay so i unplugged the battery and the issue is gone now im running at 80 degrees at like max usage but now i have yet another problem. Turbo Boost thingy is enabled but it doesnt seem to be boosting to higher clock speeds its just stuck at 2.4ghz which is the base clock speed. Occasionally it goes to like 3ghz for few seconds.

1 hour ago, Spiddjon said:

Okay so i unplugged the battery and the issue is gone now im running at 80 degrees at like max usage but now i have yet another problem. Turbo Boost thingy is enabled but it doesnt seem to be boosting to higher clock speeds its just stuck at 2.4ghz which is the base clock speed. Occasionally it goes to like 3ghz for few seconds.

Sounds like it's have trouble regulating power. Maybe a damaged vrm?

5 hours ago, StarsMars said:

Sounds like it's have trouble regulating power. Maybe a damaged vrm?

Not really sure how to check if it is damaged in any way. My warranty is out of date so i cant take it to the store i bought it from for a inspection and i dont really feel like paying money to get it checked. I am moving to a pc in a few months so im not worried that much, its just super annoying especially in competitive games.