HDD Disconnecting and forcing me to reallocate in Disk Management

Hey everyone,

I'm having a problem with both my HDD's at the moment in which they will show up in disk management so I can allocate the drives but then after a day or 2 suddenly the drives are no longer recognised by windows and I have to re-add them through disk management. Both these drives are less than 2 years old and were working fine up until about 2 weeks ago. Tried a new Sata power cable aswell as different sata ports on the motherboard. I dont think its drive failure because both started doing it at the exact same time however i've tried a couple of things including a full format of both drives and only using one of the HDD's at a time. Not sure where the problem is coming from and I'm a little out of ideas so any help would be appreciated.

The two hard drives I have are  a WD Blue 2TB and a Toshiba X300 4TB. I also have an M.2 but that has been performing fine.

Other PC specs

Asus prime x570 pro

Ryzen 3800x

Gigabyte 2070 Super windforce OC

4 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair RGB ram

10 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

What do you mean by "allocate"?

In Disk management they go back to unallocated and i have to create a new simple volume again so i guess partition is a better word for it 

34 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Are these in a RAID array?

no they are not 

Is the M.2 a SATA drive? If all SATA drives are failing at the same time it could be a controller issue on motherboard.

16 hours ago, uncreativespace said:

Is the M.2 a SATA drive? If all SATA drives are failing at the same time it could be a controller issue on motherboard.

Its a Samsung 970 evo NVME 

3 hours ago, ChrispyBacon said:

Its a Samsung 970 evo NVME 

So only your SATA drives are failing. I'd try pulling and using the drives on a dock or different motherboard, if they work and any SMART\health test on the drives pass I'd bet you need a new motherboard.

Just rechecked your hardware list and realized I've got two builds with x570 Pro's sitting right behind me from almost two years ago now doing video production work. One was DOA straight out of the box and had to be sent back. Seems like a different issue, unsure how common it is for Asus boards to have issues.

23 hours ago, uncreativespace said:

So only your SATA drives are failing. I'd try pulling and using the drives on a dock or different motherboard, if they work and any SMART\health test on the drives pass I'd bet you need a new motherboard.

Just rechecked your hardware list and realized I've got two builds with x570 Pro's sitting right behind me from almost two years ago now doing video production work. One was DOA straight out of the box and had to be sent back. Seems like a different issue, unsure how common it is for Asus boards to have issues.

Oof that would not be great, i only went for the prime to match my white scheme. I think i have enough spare pc parts to wack up a quick test bench so i'll try it in another board on my next day off and let you know.

On a totally unrelated note any recommendations on a nice white x570 board? 😛