Monitor artifacts and hard screen freeze

Naala
Go to solution Solved by Naala,

Due to a slowdown in the help i hope it is the GPU as one been leaning towards since i now ordered a 3070TI on monthly payment so ill be unable to buy any other parts until that is done in 1 year but it is weird when USB devices randomly gets disconnected on startup that looks like the motherboard but ill trust the only person who tried to help at least a little

Introduction and what i was doing when issue started.

Recently i made some upgrades  to my PC a new monitor and few days later new Ram kit (Replaced old not added) booted up the PC browsed internet a little played 3 hours of State of decay 2 all working perfectly shut down the game went afk to load up the dishwasher when i got back PC refused to wake up from sleep so pressed the reset button and this issue occurred quite randomly and it is ONLY happening in windows / Browser but not in games i can not watch youtube happens a lot there (but when i tried to bait the issue and record ofc it didnt happen for 30 min) since it mostly happened in browser (Vivaldi) i swapped to Brave same thing there then i went into AMD Driver and it happened there as well and since it was a fresh instal of the driver i figured i would re-install Windows IF it is a software issue that should solve it nope didnt... now im on Firefox which seems to be most reliable but it still happens.

The issue.

first i was having issues with Display port and my AMD drivers the full installation did not want to work had to reinstall it and select minimal but every time my pc went into sleep it reset all settings and discord said "new audio device found" (not sure if this is relevant but all this happened within 3 days)

When i am not in a game (oddly enough) my screen gets sort of like flickering artefacts (lines) similar to a broken monitor and hard freeze the odd thing is that audio is still played so it seems like the screen just freeze nothing else.it just happened there and now when i rebooted it said "Usb device not recognized" and my keyboard didnt work had to replug it

Last time it happened it did a auto scan / repair of C: and once in windows it said "USB Device not recognized (dont know word by word but technically same) and it was my keyboard had to replug it to get it working

What i tried.

Since it started shortly after i changed my ram i swapped the old ram back and it still happens, swapped in some really old 4gb and same issue so it cant be the ram unless the slots on motherboard.

Reinstalled windows totally fresh install and same issue

Googled and watched youtube on my TV and phone to perhaps find a fix

i could not find any dump file in "C:\Windows\Minidump" so shouldnt be windows related *shrug*

i checked for driver updates but none and using the last supported gpu driver that was released (might downgrade tho)

What i think
Option 1;  i think it might be PSU sending Power spikes that cause the artifacts and freeze

Option 2 Motherboard / CPU since it is not the Ram it could be the ram slot on the motherboard if that is the issue but some on google said it could be CPU so perhaps?

Option 3 GPU Since this device controls the frames that show up on the monitor it would make sense that it is this device that is malfunctioning (it is also one of the oldest in the system) and if anything i hope it is this since i am waiting on price drops to replace it

fun note: what i find interesting is that all the problems so far i googled for, the specs of the PC were always - Radeon graphic card, and 50/50 on AMD or intel CPU

Speccs
Motherboard; ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING (Bios Version 2701)
Cpu: Intel Core i7-8700K Overclocked to 4.3
GPU:Sapphire Radeon TRI-X R9 290 4GB
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) / 3200MHz / DDR4 / CL16 / CMK32GX4M2E3200C16
Bootdrive: Corsair Force MP510 SSD 240GB M.2 NVMe
Psu: Corsairs HX750W

could you attatch a picture of the atrifacts?

Sounds GPU related unless its something more obscure.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

56 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

could you attatch a picture of the atrifacts?

Sounds GPU related unless its something more obscure.

i could not as they appear quickly and it don't freeze with them on screen but i managed to get it on recording

i thought the same so i put it through a time spy stress test and it managed it with no artefacts or freeze :S

i rly rly hope its not GPU will take me almost a year to save up to a new one

I would try with a different monitor/tv and with a different cable.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

1 hour ago, SignatureSigner said:

I would try with a different monitor/tv and with a different cable.

i only have 1 displayport cable so cant test that but i went back to HDMI and it resulted in same issues.

Went back to the old monitor i had also with same issues  : /

Due to a slowdown in the help i hope it is the GPU as one been leaning towards since i now ordered a 3070TI on monthly payment so ill be unable to buy any other parts until that is done in 1 year but it is weird when USB devices randomly gets disconnected on startup that looks like the motherboard but ill trust the only person who tried to help at least a little